N3V: Why are there no U.S. standard gauge procedural tracks available in TRS19?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thank you for the link also., and trainboi1 did a great job with this track... I did a bulk asset replace on a large route only issue was had to double click straighten tool at the points but overall for procedural track it works and looks amazing., finally a classic American rail....
Dave =)

The trainboi1 track is great for screenshots but has the usual "operating" problems of Trainz tracks.

The track "un-kinks" on most Trainz curves as you drive along, going from a straight to curve.

The fishplates and shadows do slow unfold as the train moves along. This LOD is a problem in most TRS2019 track.

All the single tie TRS2019 track have a distinct moire problem.

Elstoko's track had the best LOD, having none of these problems.

Harold

Last edited:
The trainboi1 track is great for screenshots but has the usual "operating" problems of Trainz tracks.

The track "un-kinks" on most Trainz curves as you drive along, going from a straight to curve.

The fishplates and shadows do slow unfold as the train moves along. This LOD is a problem in most TRS2019 track.

All the single tie TRS2019 track have a distinct moire problem.

Elstoko's track had the best LOD, having none of these problems.

Harold

Thanks to a generous offer of technical help from another developer, we are building a TRS19 procedural track which will be a major variant of El Stoko's track. When it will be completed I don't know at this point, but it will be U.S. standard gauge with base plates and spikes and similar to the screenshot I showed earlier but have LOD and PBR textures. Also it will be on the DLS.

Bob

:wave: Good Morning Sir,

That is great news, for us........Again as always your tenacity and work ethic shines as beacon for all of us to respect........

My plans for now:

Focus on my Routes of which I have quite a few, making them error free hopefully.

Faulty/Missing Assets completely cleaned up, currently 430 at the moment, so it will take some time.

After which I plan replacing old Track in small Routes to see how Trainboi1's Tracks work under TRS19 environment? :)

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Pencil42
On the other hand, this could be a good excuse to make the plunge into Blender :)

Trainboi1 has some US-style procedural track at https://trainz-forge.com/p/new-releases that's at least sorta modern :)

My SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes procedural track is almost completed in Blender and ready to upload to the DLS.

I have corrected all the issues found with the original Leigh Stokes (ElStoko) and Andi Smith (Andi06) track this was based on.

This version of the track will:

1. Have 2D textures only.
2. Be compatible with build 4.2 or later.
3. Have base plates with spikes.
4. Have flat bottom standard gauge track.
5. Have gravel ballast.

Correcting the LOD issues and provide 3D PBR textures to make this track compatible with build 4.6 or later is going to take a fair amount of time, so we are thinking it will be a separate track version, probably called ProTrack II. We haven't decided on this yet.

Here is a screenshot of where I am right now:

U.S.-ProTrack-Screenshot.jpg

This track adheres to the original Andi Smith (Andi06) license.

Bob

That looks great! :D

Maybe pushing my luck here, but do they include a seasonal (or snow to be more specific) skin?

Reskinned the original Elstoko track with the JR Rail color.

rail.jpg

fairmont2.jpg

Before the track turned green in TRS2019

trs19_32.jpg

Matches the rail color of most US track.

Harold

Last edited:
That looks great! :D

Maybe pushing my luck here, but do they include a seasonal (or snow to be more specific) skin?

I forgot to mention that with this release:

1. There will be a snow texture.
2. There will be a rusty rail version.
3. There will be a track only version.

Bob

Thank you Bob for taking the time to create this track.

This is very well done.

I think it's a good idea to have two separate "products". I for one am not using PBR textures and won't be for some time, and it would be a shame to not be able to use this track.

One could set up the pbr version to obsolete the non-pbr version, so that if you're using 19 you get the pbr one & if you're using TANE you get the non-pbr.

I should dig around at home, I took some nice pictures of US rail a while back for the sole purpose of making textures in Trainz with it, might be useful.

peter

I am hoping there will be (eventually) a procedural track that completely matches the JR tracks (specifically the "JR MS Light Grey") because that's what I use in my route. This is because I have a matching ballast and my bridge Abutments also have the matching ballast texture.

Until then, I will not change my track or ballast texture and continue to use the separately placed Frogs.

Here are some track texture pictures I took a while back, might be useful/helpful.

https://adobe.ly/2N5gdlz
These are just the jpegs, I can tweak and send somebody edited files if desired.

If you use them, credit me in the config!

peter

With a little luck I should be finishing the procedural track today and uploading it to the DLS. The track mesh library will contain both shiny and rusted rail and both types will have a provision for snow.

Phase 1 of this track project, which is what I will be uploading, will be for build 4.2 or above and have non-PBR ballast textures. At some point I will also provide a separate matching 2D ballast texture for those who want it.

Phase 2 of the project will take some time but will be a "new version" of the same Phase 1 track and have 3D PBR ballast textures. This will allow you to place the Phase 1 track on your route and when eventually, for those who have build 4.6 (ie; TRS19) routes, you will be able to automatically upgrade the track to TRS19 procedural track as PerRock suggested earlier in this thread.

FYI phase 1 has been done entirely in Blender.....

Bob

The following items were uploaded this morning to the DLS:

<kuid:439337:102745> SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Rusty
<kuid:439337:102580> SAP Protrack U.S. SG, Flat Bottom, Base Plates with Spikes, Shiny
<kuid:439337:102588> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge Mesh Library
<kuid:439337:102608> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge rail-flat-bright-right
<kuid:439337:102744> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge rail-flat-rusty-left
<kuid:439337:102607> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge rail-flat-bright-left
<kuid:439337:102743> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge rail-flat-rusty-right
<kuid:439337:102598> SAP Protrack U.S. sleepers-timber-mid life-baseplate height
<kuid:439337:102606> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge baseplates-spikes-right
<kuid:439337:102605> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge baseplates-spikes-left

Depending on the DLS they should be available for download in about 24-48 hrs or so....

I am now in the process of creating some variants as follows:

1. Rusty track with ties only.
2. Rusty track only.
3. Shiny tracks with ties only.
4. Shiny track only.

Also will be working on providing a matching 2D ballast ground texture.

Bob

Well the first bump in the road has occurred. The library failed to be accepted by the DLS, even though it tests out fine in TRS19. Here is what I got:

The addition of your content file kuid_439337_102588.cdp has failed due to the following reason:

An Error Occured with <kuid:439337:102588> SAP Protrack U.S. Standard Gauge Mesh Library
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail2.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail2.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**ballastb-s.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail-r.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.
<kuid:439337:102588> : VE186: Material 'arc:fld:$(original)/hash-B6||kuid 439337 102588.tzarc|**rail-r.m.tbumptex' is shared between multiple chunks in this asset but the material parameters conflict.

I am not sure what this means. Can someone explain what I need to do to address these issues which I have not seen before?

Bob

Here is a screenshot of my upcoming freeware build 4.2 SAP ProTrack U.S. Procedural track series.

Notes:

1. The track is flat bottomed.
2. Fasteners are base plate and spike type.
3. Ballast is gravel 2D texture.
4. Ballast will show snow when appropriate.
5. Tested in TRS19.

Screenshot-of-Upcoming-U.S.-Procedural-ProTrack-by-MSGSapper.jpg

My thanks to both Leigh Stokes (ElStoko) and Andi Smith (Andi06) for their great ProTrack procedural track efforts which this track series is based on, and without them this project would not have been possible!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back