GPU RTX(2080Ti) generation - reported problems, bugs - your experience with? requests

Cosplay

UID 338.362
Dear friends of Trainz, dear users and readers,
roundabout four month ago my computer graphic card crashed. At least this crash
took the motherboard and maybe CPU to pas the river Jordan. ("6feet under")

Since this I use an "Interim PC" for 40 Bucks. But hist Toaster isn't suitable for Trainz
and build objects for Trainz. I collected parts for a new desktop computer at a German
dealer. (I still hope, I can use parts of the old one for the new one.) But I can't finish
my order, because of, there isn't this graphic card available, I want to buy. I have read
in many computer forum, there are bugs, temperature problems and DDR6 memory
problems with (all?) cards of the nVidia RTX generation.

• Does anyone here graphic card of the RTX generation in use?
  • Does anyone here use especially a RTX2080Ti graphic card?
  • What are your experiences with this card?
    • In context with this reported bugs and
    • in comparison with your older graphic card?
  • Does anyone have experiences (good or bad) with 120Hz 3D Gaming in Trainz?
Especially for users here from USA:
My favourite graphic card is an EVGA RTX2080ti FTW3 product, combined with an
EVGA Water block cooler. Both are not available here in Germany.
e040.gif
Neither in different
(online)shops, nor at the EVGA Germany store itself.

• What is your experience with this producer?
  • Is this graphic card in USA [SUB]*1)[/SUB]
    • available?
    • Or do they also have supply difficulties?
*1) Because of EVGA is from Brea, California.

Not at least:
  • Can anyone approve an alternative "interim" graphic card?
    Unfortunately the GTX1080Ti Card isn't available anymore.
    And when, it is disproportionate and exorbitant expensive.

My main problem, I would not spend to much money for this.
It should work fine only until I can have the "right" one.

You don't have your location showing so it difficult to know what is available.

My understanding is a GTX 2060 is roughly the same as the old GTX 1070 TI so that might fit. The higher end cards need more cooling the lower cards aren't quite so bleeding edge. ASUS GPUs tend to be good quality.

One or two bad cards can be expected occasionally so the sample size looked at makes a difference. In other words one person might have a good experience with a card that many others have had problems with. Some will be fussier about the power supply.

Water cooling I'd stay away from, a small leak and it can be very expensive.

Cheerio John

Hi,

Obviously, you are looking for the "best" card - but meanwhile...

I'm using a GTX 770 (Palit 4Mb version, slightly overclocked), and this is certainly capable of good (mid-range) performance. IIRC, the GTX 970 is more capable and is available second user for a reasonable cost.

Certainly my 770 card has 3 cooling fans and the Palit "Thundermaster" app ramps up the cooling fans speed to keep the card within the allowable temperature range (TS19 & Elite Dangerous run the card hard, and it sounds a bit like sitting next to a jet engine!). I've not "broken" anything yet - though the CPU is watercooled, and I'm using a Fractal case so there's plenty of case cooling as well.

HTH

Colin

I would love some input on the OP questions. I am considering getting a new Alienware Area-51M i9 laptop with a NIVIDA GeForce RTX 2080 8GB GDDR6 card installed. You can shop the at the Dell website starting at around $4250 USD. Dell.com. My current rig is a Dell i7 laptop with a GTX960M, just got an update today from NIVIDA (2/4/2019) and it has definitely smoothed out the jitters in the 'Driver' quality, but it is still lacking when pushed in TRS19. To the OP, will Dell not ship one of these to you local?

Alienware 15 Core i9.jpg

So do you think North America cannot ship these thing to Germany (or Europe in general)?

You get hit with custom brokerage fees, duties and VAT. Plus for an expensive item like this the seller would want to use a courier company.

If you look at the prices on amazon.de and amazon.com they are about the same taking into account the German prices include VAT or around 20%.

Taxation is a different discussion.

Cheerio John

So do you think North America cannot ship these thing to Germany (or Europe in general)?

I am not sure, but I have read,
  • Tthe US specifications are different to European
  • At the page of EVGA US this Card is available, but not here in Germany.
  • Not at least, You can't order it to deliver this to Germany.

Lets try this:
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 @ Germany - not available
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 @ USA - available

EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock for EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 @ Germany - not available
EVGA Hydro Copper Waterblock for EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 @ USA - available

This availability means not, I can order it from Germany/Europa. To finish Your order
you have to add your country in your address. But the List contains only USA, Canada,
Mexico and, not at least, Puerto Rico.

Can you understand my dilemma?

Not at least for the same money I can buy in America card and cooler, but in Germany
only the card. All in all it is roundabound 225 bucks more expensive, but still not available.

Thank you for your patience.

Hello my TD friend :)

Have you looked at amazon.de ?

They have many RTX listed

Hallo mein TD Freund :)

Hast du bei amazon.de nachgesehen?

Sie haben viele RTX gelistet

Dear euromodeller, thank you for your replay.
The main problem with the RTX Cards is, they have to much memory failures.
As far as I know, only EVGA has successfully solved this problem. At Amazon
I found only this one - absolutely to expensive and this isn't available yet.
("Lieferung Donnerstag, 21. Febr. - Mittwoch, 6. März") It was a bad joke. [sub]*1)[/sub]

*1) A bad joke - not by you. ;)

Last edited:
  • Does anyone here graphic card of the RTX generation in use?
  • Does anyone here use especially a RTX2080Ti graphic card?
  • What are your experiences with this card?
    • In context with this reported bugs and
    • in comparison with your older graphic card?
  • Does anyone have experiences (good or bad) with 120Hz 3D Gaming in Trainz?
Especially for users here from USA:

So this is still not answered, I am looking into a new rig, so this would be relevant, please see list above, how much better is it? I am still using the GTX products, would really like to know what the RTX products offer.

So this is still not answered, I am looking into a new rig, so this would be relevant, please see list above, how much better is it? I am still using the GTX products, would really like to know what the RTX products offer.

They are too expensive for most of us and have a high failure rate, the GTX2080TI isn't even listed in this 2019 best Graphics cards https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-gpus

It is listed here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

They are too expensive for most of us and have a high failure rate, the GTX2080TI isn't even listed in this 2019 best Graphics cards https://benchmarks.ul.com/compare/best-gpus

It is listed here https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Great, it says... "but we don't recommend buying it strictly for gaming purposes"

So I drive a Dodge, with launch control, it does a 0 to 60 in less than 3 seconds, does over 200 mph, has a computerized launch control, but we can't verify any of it, .... I'm in! Better bring the ice cubes.

Back