Routing different trains on different track

Chris750

Hey all; Playing with my model route and I am trying to have the AI route a train onto different tracks dependant on priority. If a passenger train, and priority 1, then take track A, while a grain train and priority 3 will take track B. I thought interlocking tower enhanced is what I needed but it doesn't seem to work, and I found another command, perhaps 'junction set' that allows you to pick a train by a car and set the junctions. Is this what I need to use, or should interlocking tower be able to do this? I have tried so many things that I am confused right now.

For ITe I am finding it isn't releasing the junction and giving a green light to the waiting train, but as soon as I got rid of ITe the signals would clear once the following signal was passed. Of course, I can't route a train by consist/priority this way.

In theory, you can set track A (your example) to be priority 1 and track B priority 2 (or 3), using track priority markers, and the suitably prioritised trains should follow the correct path - I don't know how foolproof that method is.

If you want to use a more deterministic approach, you can use Enhanced Interlocking Towers together with the MissionCode Manager (also by pguy). You assign one or more mission codes to each train and use those codes to determine which path(s) is / are allowable within each interlocking tower. It sounds more complicated than it actually is and pguy has some demo sessions on the dls that should help get you started.

John

Ahh, I think the missioncode manager was what I was missing, I will check it out. I am trying to create sessions for my route before I upload it and would like to have other trains on the route, the ones I play you are always the only train, never having to stop for traffic.

Thanks John, always helpful.

***Sorry to be a wank, but how exactly do I use the example route/sessions to learn how to use these assets? I can watch the trains moving, which is cool, and if I go into edit route I just see stuff on the tracks. I guess I just click on the asset and see how he has it set?***

Last edited:
Hi Chris.

If you want to analyse and do your own tests with the demo, just clone the session and edit your cloned session.

i am currently out home without accès to the demo, so my advices are only done using my memory, but normaly the route contains only the tracks, scenery objects, trackside objects (signals, junctions lever, ... ) , track circuit blocks isolator and detector, ... and the session contains the enhanced interlocking towers and paths definition, rolling stock, train schedules, mission code manager rule configuration, ...
so edit the cloned session to look at all objects and rules parameters. And with a cloned session you can also edit these parameters without changing the original session values ...

I confirm the mission code manager is probably the easiest way to configure your session to have distinct trains running on different tracks. You need to configure first all the paths your trains will follow during the session. then configure mission code manager rule starting by adding one mission code (an arbitrary string you choose) for each train and then set for each of your paths which mission codes are eligible (will use) this path. And when you have finished to configure mission code eligibility, the last step is to assign the mission code to use to each train either under MCM trains tab or by inserting a SetMissionCode driver command in the train schedule. Add an auto drive to the destination track mark (or a drive to or navigate to command) for each of your train and run your session. And MCM should now activate the correct adequate path when approaching the path entry Signal at 0.5 mile ...

And if you need more help just ask on the forum. First I will be back home on tomorrow and can have a look to any configuration problem you may encounter, but there are also many other MCM users reading this forum that can also help you if you have any questions.

Regards.
Pierre.

I have had very much success using the Track Priority Markers with the AI. I set them in the Route level and it carries over fine into the Session level. Works great in TANE, TMR17 and TRS19. Can't say the same in TS12.

Hi Chris.

If you want to analyse and do your own tests with the demo, just clone the session and edit your cloned session.

i am currently out home without accès to the demo, so my advices are only done using my memory, but normaly the route contains only the tracks, scenery objects, trackside objects (signals, junctions lever, ... ) , track circuit blocks isolator and detector, ... and the session contains the enhanced interlocking towers and paths definition, rolling stock, train schedules, mission code manager rule configuration, ...
so edit the cloned session to look at all objects and rules parameters. And with a cloned session you can also edit these parameters without changing the original session values ...

I confirm the mission code manager is probably the easiest way to configure your session to have distinct trains running on different tracks. You need to configure first all the paths your trains will follow during the session. then configure mission code manager rule starting by adding one mission code (an arbitrary string you choose) for each train and then set for each of your paths which mission codes are eligible (will use) this path. And when you have finished to configure mission code eligibility, the last step is to assign the mission code to use to each train either under MCM trains tab or by inserting a SetMissionCode driver command in the train schedule. Add an auto drive to the destination track mark (or a drive to or navigate to command) for each of your train and run your session. And MCM should now activate the correct adequate path when approaching the path entry Signal at 0.5 mile ...

And if you need more help just ask on the forum. First I will be back home on tomorrow and can have a look to any configuration problem you may encounter, but there are also many other MCM users reading this forum that can also help you if you have any questions.

Regards.
Pierre.

Hi Pierre: yes the track isolator and protector are new to me, I have never seen those before. From checking your demo route last night it appears that the isolator allows you to configure a path without it having to run to a signal, not sure what the protector does, have not really looked into it yet. Before last night I was just using the Interlocking Tower enhanced and creating a path, but I found the P2 train was getting priority over the P1, and the signals, though set to automatic, would not release. Thus I knew I was missing something.

@Christopher824
Priority markers would work if I only ran trains as priority, but I also want a P3 train which is grain to take a third track, while perhaps a P3 coal train runs the main to keep the electricity flowing for example, so it would work in a simple way, and I tested it, but it only gets me about 80% there.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi.

Track circuit isolator and track circuit detector are components that enables to create track circuit blocks : a track circuit block is a stretch of track starting from the track circuit detector in all possible direction until it reaches a track circuit insulator. When reaching a junction, the track circuit block expands in all possible junction direction until a track circuit insulator is encountered. A track circuit block needs always to have one track circuit detector and as many track circuit insulators as needed to limit the track circuit block. When building a track circuit block, always begin by puting all the track circuit insulators before puting the track circuit detector, as if if you omit a needed track circuit insulator your track circuit block will expand much further that you expected and can even expand to all your route (with some performance problem in such a case).

The track circuit block is named and has the same name as its track circuit detector, which should always be named.

What is the interest of having track circuit blocks : track circuit block have a very efficient easy script interface to check if there is any consist inside the limit of the track circuit block or not. TCB are very efficient to check track avaibility for a track zone for scripted rules or objects.

EIT enables on option to check TCB avaibility for any embedding TCB for either the path exit signal or for all path objects (except the entry signal). If a path with the TCB option set finds that the embedding TCB is currently occupied, it will delay its path activation until the TCB is no longer occupied. This enables to expand after the exit signal the track zone checked for consist occupancy. This can be very usefull for paths leading to terminal platforms or through platforms or to yards to avoid activating a path to a currently occupied platform or yard track without the need to expand the path along all the platform or yard track. It can also be used to protect a single track with only short path to enter at both ends the single track but with a unique embedding TCB protecting all the unique track.

About entry signals, they are nether released : interlocking towers take ownership of all paths entry signals and sets them to EX_STOP state to avoid any train can enter any path without activating it first. When a path is activated, the entry signal is switched to its target state (automatic or proceed or any other target state … ) until the first incoming train enters the path, and then the entry signal returns to EX_STOP state blocking any following train until the same or another path at the same entry signal is activated …

Regards.
Pierre.

Hi Pierre; Thank you for the detailed description. I have been playing with the TCB and TCD but have failed so far, but your newest post may help. As for the signal never turning green...well that was my fault. I just spent about 6 hours trying to figure out why my locos would work in one direction on a diamond, but not the other and then I found the problem, the bumpers at the end of the track were facing the wrong way, so the signal at the junction had to display red to stop the trains from going off the end of the track. I cannot believe how long I spent on this, and it was something so stupid.

I have read and even dowloaded the trainz wiki tutorial and watched 4 tutorials on youtube but couldn't get mine to work; hopefully if anyone ever runs into this problem they will check the bumper (signal) first.

Will let you know how the TCB/D work. I now understand why your path in your route which were 3 fingered had them, to stop anyone else from going in. Question: using your route for example, if at the station tracks 1 and 2 are used, will the EIT automatically route the train to the unused track?

Hi Chris.

EIT do not automatically route a train to an unused track, but using MCM rule, yes MCM can select a path leading to an unused track in a set of several eligible paths for a train.

You need to see EIT and MCM as two imbricated script code layer :

EIT is in charge of the basic tower and path management, trying to activate a target path when assigned to a train by checking all needed ressources (path objects, TCB locks, exclusive set locks, … ) are currently available and activating the path if it is the case with all path objects set to their target position. If some ressource is not available, path activation is delayed and the train will wait at the entry signal until all ressources will be later available.

MCM is a scripted rule layer above EIT, that will look only to trains with a mission code (ignoring all other trains that runs as usual without the help of MCM) and that will take care for these trains of some automatic path selection based on the current train mission code and a configuration of all eligible mission codes for a path that you need to define while editing MCM rule under surveyor. MCM supports that there are several eligible paths for a mission code at an entry signal, and will select an available path (a path that can currently be immediatly activated) following some priorities defined in the MCM configuration. By construction a path with an exit signal TCB option leading to an occupied platform cannot be activated (as the TCB is currently occupied) and MCM will not look at it when trying to select an eligible path for the current train and will choose an alternative path if available. MCM and EIT have some internal interfaces to inform each other when a path is released so that when a train is delayed due to no path avaibility, this situation last only until some eligible path is released.

But the best is to try these components in some real case. I have packaged for you a new EIT DemoRoute UK 2 with a route and session with EIT and MCM configured to route two trains between two terminal station one following a fast path direct route and the other following a slow path with intermediate stops. You can dowload this demo route from my OneDrive shared space at https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkqK0VQ5D29Feb_--tuA . Normally it contains only the route and session and a few dependencies not available on DLS. all other dependencies should be either builtin or on DLS. It includes also the last version v60 of EIT and MCM, currently under final beta testing, that will probably be updated to DLS next week end.

Just try it and ask if you have any question and of course you can locally do and try whatever modification you want to test.

Have some fun testing this simple demoroute case.

Regards.
Pierre.

Last edited:
HI; Tried your route but it must be created for 2019 is it, it is version 4.6 on my TANE and won't load, assets are greyed out. The no path is happening to me now, block is free but signals and junctions stay aligned to train that just past while the second waits forever. Sometimes backing the waiting train up and approaching again fixes it, sometimes not. Going to try the MCB/D now.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Pierre; So I spent today working on a (what I thought) was a simple route as you can see from the picture. I can get the trains to drive but once they reach the middle station I get a stand off with neither train advancing though the south bound loco has the junction to the siding and the north bound loco has the junction on the main set by the AI. I was going to post a bunch of screen shots showing what I did, but I figured it would be easier, if you are willing, for you to create your version of the route so I can compare what you did to mine. It is only 2 locos, a south (left station), middle (bottom) and north (right) station with the south and north having two siding/storage tracks. For the middle station I am trying to get the south bound train (moving right to left) to take the middle station siding and then carry on to the south station, wait, and then head back to the north station (left to right) but taking the north bound track at the middle station(main line). It would have to be done in TANE.

2019-02-05-180559.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you for your help.

**Update: messed around for hours more but my trains still got stuck at the middle station at each end of the siding. I then deleted all paths and the trains worked correctly but I had to set the junctions, but they would drive back and forth on their own. Therefore my mission orders are set correctly, but I am still messing up my paths and I cannot figure out why. I have read the wiki and UT vids, but still stumped.**

Last edited:
Hi Chris.

You will find a Tane SP3 EIT Demoroute UK 3 cdp when following this link https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkqK0aR1HlvttkFd-jMQ on my OneDrive shared space.

The route follows your schema with two dual track terminal station connected by a single track with an intermediate dual track passing place. The session includes two trains autodriving for ever from one terminal station to the other one and return, using the inside passing place track going from west to east and the outside passing place track going from east to west. The session uses two interlocking towers : one managing terminal station west and the single track to the passing place ; and another tower for managing terminal station east and the single track to the passing place. All paths are using exit signal TCB extension to detect if the terminal platforms or the passing place track are available for use (with no consist currently occupying it).

So just download and install the cdp. it contains the route and session and the last version of EIT v60 and MCM v59, currently in beta testing but that will be release probably next week end. So better to use the last version to do some some tests.

You may be surprised by the fact that the train schedule drives to their destination using some MCPathStop and AutoDriveToMCPathStop driver command : this is needed by the fact that you do not know when preparing the schedule to which platform the train will be driving as it will be choosen dynamically by the MCM rule. MCPathStop are a scripted trackmark that has its own name but has also a logical zone area name, making possible to add several MCPathStops with the same logical zone area name on each platform track (or yards track or … ). And the associated AutoDriveToMCPathStop driver command enables to request your train autodrives until it reaches any MCPathStop with the target logical zone area name. This permits to enter in the train schedule an autodrive command with a target destination though we do not know to which MCPathStop the train will be driven by MCM.
MCPathStops and AutoDriveToMCPathStop are very usefull when driving to several possible tracks that will be choosen dynamically later when driving.

Have some fun testing the route and session. And let me know if I have forgotten any needed assets or if you need some help to understand how EITs and MCM are configured ...

Regards.
Pierre.

Hi Pierre; That route is showing as version 4.6 for me again, and is greyed out, I can't access it. It seems only version 4.5 and earlier works for me, I am using TANE build 94916. Did you build that route in TANE or 2019?

**Yes, 4.6 is TS2019, I don't have that, you will have to build it in TANE. Still trying it on my end but the wiki really doesn't go into building paths with detail, will do more UT searching**

Thanks;

Last edited:
Hi Chris.

The route EIT Demoroute - UK 3 <kuid2:61392:8441:1> and associated session <kuid2:61392:8442:1> have been build under Tane SP3 build 94916 with a build level 4.5.

The cdp is available following this link https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao4KHd0vFBWkqK0aR1HlvttkFd-jMQ
which is not the same link as the previously posted link to EIT Demoroute - UK 2 <kuid2:61392:8431:1> and associated session <kuid2:61392:8432:1> which are at build level 4.6

I have just retested the cdp by re dowloading it from my OneDrive shared data following the above link and I had no problem reinstalling it under Tane with build level 4.5. Are you sure you have downloaded using the new posted link just above and not the previously posted link to the EIT Demoroute - UK 2 cdp which is a 4.6 cdp ?

Just delete the EIT Demoroute - UK 2 route and session which are no use for you and try redownloading using the link just above (not those from previous posts), and you should get a cdp that will install EIT - Demoroute - UK 3

If you don't succeed retrieving the 4.5 cdp for EIT Demoroute - UK 3 following the just above link, then just PM me your email address and I will send you by email the cdp. But the above link should work fine.

Regards.
Pierre.

Last edited:
You are right, I grabbed 2 again. Just installing now. I did make some progress on my route, I really studied your original demo and found my triggers were not always in the correct spot, once I moved them the trains worked correctly but I still had to manually throw the switch. Will take a look at how you set it up, and what I did wrong, and report back.

Thank you once again, I really do appreciate your help.

Ok, got it 90% there, the only problem I am having now is once the trains pass each other the junctions are not releasing, so they are stopping at the end and not going on. Will look at it more tomorrow, late here now.

Back