I must be missing something

normhart

Trainz Entry Level
I don't understand what PBR texture are supposed to accomplish I guess

TRS19
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

TRS19 plus PBR textures (and some environmental tweaking)
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Other than somewhat muddied shadow edges I'm not seeing anything to write home about.

Hi Normhart,

If I see these pictures correctly as you describe, the Texture looks rather flat in first picture, color appears bleached out too, in the second, it appears more fluffy and raised a bit, and the color contrast looks more rich and real as you would expect........

I hope that helps you?

So that's it? Fluffy texture? Huh, not impressed.

If the pictures represent TANE then TRS19, but were originally created in TANE, you will not get the desired effect. There are many new asset in TRS19 that you can add that will make the scene much more real, like TurfFX, and assets that use LOD correctly. All my TANE Routes are now obsolete. Might want to look closer.

If the pictures represent TANE then TRS19, but were originally created in TANE, you will not get the desired effect. There are many new asset in TRS19 that you can add that will make the scene much more real, like TurfFX, and assets that use LOD correctly. All my TANE Routes are now obsolete. Might want to look closer.

So you're saying TS19 needs all new content? If so I'm not terribly impressed.

Thanks John

Thanks John
Neither am I, also i would question christophers statement that all routes are 'obsolete" if that's the case then there's not going to be much to play with for the next few years, because retexturing all those routes will take forever.

Those of us on macs will not have turf fx anyway and from what i can ascertain there may well a 'have ' camp and 'have not's " if those who are on gold subscriptions get to use extra features that are not available to other users. I wonder would many route builders create routes that a section of users could not utilise all the features , or who would want to create a route for one set of users and then another version for gold members.?

Or am I talking out of my backside ? ( i suspect that I am )

I disagree with what has been mentioned about needing all new content in TRS19 to me this is just scare mongering. My wip route is from T:ANE and moved into TRS19. This area has majority of 2d texture and looks fine in TRS19. I would say it depends also on environment settings as well as the actual texture used as to the visual effects. Basically there is nothing wrong in using the 2d in TRS19.

2d texture:
Gravel is Gravel 1
Rocky ground on slope is (TS12)GrassDarkRocky Ground
Grass is Meadow-Grass 4

PBR
PBR Dirt 3 can just be seen under a pine lower left side in paddock.

TRS19-using-non-pbr-texture-from-route-created-in-T%3AANE.jpg

Nah fiddle with the lighting under environmental settings.
The first thing I did was default the lighting then adjusted from there rather than take what was there and attempt to fiddle with it.

The route was built in TRS2004 thru T:ANE and imported in TRS19. This is from a more recent T:ANE section, but seen in TRS19. Add a green dot to the clock and adjust the ambient lighting as well as the sunlight, brightness, fog, etc.

2018-08-27 215735.jpg

Here's Scratchy's Eagle River, which I've swapped out the billboards for Speed Trees and made other changes to including merged with Legends of the BNSF 1 & 2. I call it the Northern Pacific Lines... The route was built in T:ANE, imported into TRS19 and continued from there. With the extra fog effects, morning switching has some heavy air and you can almost feel the dampness on your face.

2019-01-02 192812.jpg

Norm --

You should be seeing something much better than that. More like this:

TRS19%20Lilliput%2010.jpg

TRS19%20Lilliput%2012.jpg

TRS19%20MannPhromLaramee_05.jpg

TRS19%20MannPhromLaramee_15.jpg

In settings, what are you using for "Shader"? It must be set to "Ultra" to show the PBR 3D textures.

The first two screen shotz above are from "The Lilliput Logger". It's on the Download Station. Maybe download it and see if you get the same effects? See here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...S19-model-railroad-layout-The-Lilliput-Logger

Phil

Last edited:

Thanks John

New features, such as the parallax height mapping, will require content to be built to use them. Not sure why this is so surprising...

The same to take full advantage of the new PBR materials.

Old content will still work, and will be using legacy material emulation to make them display with the new PBR system (they will look different to TANE, as to how different will depend on the content). But they won't be able to actually take advantage of new features.

Older routes still work as they previously did, and their textures should look similar to they previously did (some changes to the specular/reflection effects, and the normals mapping, will occur), but they won't take advantage of the new height map features like shown in Philskene's screenshots.

It honestly doesn't take a lot of time to upgrade ground textures to PBR with heightmaps; especially using tools like 'Materialize' by BoundingBox Software ( http://boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/ ) to generate the height map, normals map, and AO map. There is a video tutorial from us, on how to make PBR ground textures with height maps, at https://contentcreation.trainzsimulator.com

Regards

Back