Copy and paste

normhart

Trainz Entry Level
Is there any way to copy and paste from one route to another?

If not, why not? :D

Specifically scenery groups but might be useful for other things.

Probably not ... as that would require 2 routes being open at the same time ... and one route can not see the other route, nor associate with it's file whereabouts ... you could clone and merge the 2 routes and copy/paste away

As Cascade mentioned, merging the two routes would probably be the only way to do direct copy and paste.

There is another less direct but often more useful method for transferring scenery items - create a "pick list" (or picklist) of your favourite scenery items. You can create multiple picklists for different types of scenery. Once created picklists are immediately available for use in every route.

Well, as a computer guy, when I think of coping something I think it is "saved" somewhere and then recalled and pasted. So instead of saving in some route dependent location the copied stuff ought to be saved in some game dependent location so it would be available to other routes. Just my way of viewing things.

As for merge as a tool for coping from one route to another. Merge is a pretty powerful tool and seems to have all sorts impacts to the route being merged into. Further if you are trying to copy a section of a route with hundreds of baseboards to a route with hundreds of baseboards the process of removing the merged portion of the route can take days.

Creating a pick list does not recreate the configuration of dozen or hundreds of assets and is not particularly useful in this application.

This is a desperately needed feature, but seems to be unmentioned amongst all the drooling over eye candy in the latest version. I can understand that there was a time when the computing power needed to run just one instance of Trainz was more than many computers could comfortably handle, but in this day of multiple cores and 32GB machines it seems like it ought to be entirely practical. At the very least the ability to select a portion of a route and export it to a new CDP (which could then be merged into another route) would be invaluable. Merging is no longer practical when routes can contain 1500+ boards or more, and trying to delete excess baseboards in order to export (or merge) just a dozen or so becomes a massive undertaking.

--Lamont

If I create something, or see something I really like, I first count the number of boards it takes up. Then I create a new route using that number of boards. Then merge the new route with the one I want to copy from. Copy/paste to the new section just appended and save under a new name. Open the newly created route and delete everything OTHER than what you just pasted.

Once you have that, open the route you want to import the pasted stuff and merge the newly-pasted route. Copy/paste to where you want it and delete the merged boards. You now have what you want on your desired route.

A lengthy process to be sure. As Lamont says, it would be really great if we could copy something (anything) and have an option to store it in a secondary spot for use on any route we wish, creating a sort of temporary route with a given name. It wouldn't even need to have a board as such but simply be available like a pick list to plop down where you want it.

Bill

I’m pretty sure that copy/paste between routes was possible in early Trainz editions, like TRS2004. I remember doing it a few times. I could understand it not working between versions of Trainz that use different formats for the ground or object location.

LATER EDIT: I must have been dreaming. Just tried to copy some terrain from one route in TRS2004 and paste it into another, but it didn't work.

Last edited:
A lengthy process to be sure. As Lamont says, it would be really great if we could copy something (anything) and have an option to store it in a secondary spot for use on any route we wish, creating a sort of temporary route with a given name.
That procedure would be manageable as a Copy/Paste if there was an option to delete all boards except a marked area. Then you could clone a route, use a function to delete everything except the bit you want keep, and save it for future use. It's the board deletion one by one that takes the time. It could be part of map view: even selecting by a simple circle would be sufficient to reduce the selected area to a manageable size.

Back