Any difference between Trainz A New Era or Trainz 2019 Trains and Sessions/Routes?

surfcandy

Let me begin by saying I have both. I am not asking which is better only if the apparent same assets named for one or the other version really matter or are they really the same exact asset?

It is confusing for a new player like myself to figure it out. Like the game but have some questions about purchases.

If the the same Locos Routes/sessions are available for TANE and Trainz 2019 why do I need to purchase a Trainz 2019 version if I am almost positive it's the same exact version as TAME? I know there are a few specific Routes for Trainz 2019 but 99% of the assets seem to be exactly the same asset for both and anything I have for TANE has downloaded and works great with Trainz 2019 unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
I have TANE and have not moved yet for the same reasons you have cited. I'd still be on TS12 but TANE brought on 64 bit processing and runs so much better (for me anyway) than previous versions. I imagine I'll upgrade again someday but not just yet.

LouP

I just don't want to pay $19.99 instead of $3.95 for the same Loco or $29.95 instead of $6.95 for the same Route only difference is one is under TANE and the other under Trainz 2019 on the product page.

The assets will be the same. The routes are the same unless there's TRS19-specific updates.

If you do purchase T:ANE, it will be a separate product, but any DLC routes you have purchased for TRS19, unless they are specifically for TRS19, will download without errors into T:ANE automatically when you start the product for the first time.

If you create a route in T:ANE, you can export that route and import it into TRS19 without issues, with the caveat being you need the dependencies in both versions to be the same. Going backwards however is not an option as it is with most software.

Here are some screen shots, 1st on from TANE, 2nd one same shot, from TRS19;

Sonic TANE.jpg

Sonic TRS19.jpg

Christopher824 - Where one has Shadows turned on (TRS19) and the other does not.
Best to compare Like-For-Like, using the same settings.

So then the assets like trains,routes, and sessions from TANE will be the same ones offered by Trainz 2019. The only difference is it will look better in Trainz 2019 and the label Trainz 2019 could cost more for the same asset that's 1/3 the price in TANE especially if on sale. Is that pretty much it?

Last edited:
So then the assets like trains,routes, and sessions from TANE will be the same ones offered by Trainz 2019. The only difference is it will look better in Trainz 2019 and the label Trainz 2019 could cost more for the same asset that's 1/3 the price in TANE especially if on sale. Is that pretty much it?

That is far too simplistic an analysis. TRS19 has far better textures with 3D effects. It has "paintable" ground clutter effects. A much better HUD system than TANE. There are TRS19 only routes (will not work in TANE) available on the DLS and some free TRS19 routes of excellent quality from the DLC, far better than any TANE routes.

'Tis a lot more complex than that.

What you have with TRS19 is the latest iteration in the Trainz franchise. Unlike other "games", and this is not considered a game by many people, assets made for previous versions work for the most part in the current versions. This is why if a route is created in T:ANE, it will work in TRS19, or a route created in TRS2004 will work in all versions up to and including TRS19, albeit, with the caveats of older content that that version was only capable of seeing at the time since that content was state-of-the-art at that particular time in late 2003-2005 time period.

What TRS19 brings to the table are vast improvements over even what T:ANE has to offer such as the PBR textures, clutter effects, grass effects, improved lighting and shadows, improved stability, and interface changes. TRS19 is based on what is a new game engine when that was introduced in 2013 with its 64-bit core, some interface improvements, and some lighting improvements.

So in the end, no you haven't been grifted and what we have today is the latest version.

Like I stated a couple of times in this thread I am not asking "which is better" I know Trainz 2019 is better with the newer technology and has updated graphics.

What I was saying is the cost for different assets under the label of TANE or Trainz 2019 can be tripled the cost and confusing for a new player. I just wanted to know if it's the same product or did the Trainz 2019 version have "graphical upgrades" built into the asset that I was looking at (not the improvements through Trainz 2019 but the product asset stand alone). So yes I was "grifted" in the beginning to no one's fault but my own for not understanding the Trainz system but now I am much smarter. No big deal all is ok now and it is my favorite train simulation.

Like I stated a couple of times in this thread I am not asking "which is better" I know Trainz 2019 is better with the newer technology and has updated graphics.

What I was saying is the cost for different assets under the label of TANE or Trainz 2019 can be tripled the cost and confusing for a new player. I just wanted to know if it's the same product or did the Trainz 2019 version have "graphical upgrades" built into the asset that I was looking at (not the improvements through Trainz 2019 but the product asset stand alone). So yes I was "grifted" in the beginning to no one's fault but my own for not understanding the Trainz system but now I am much smarter. No big deal all is ok now and it is my favorite train simulation.

The assets being sold, are third-party assets so that's determined by the reseller and not N3V. If these are on N3V's Trainz Portal you could purchase the T:ANE version of the content, and it would install fine in TRS19. I'm not sure how Steam handles that stuff so I can't say much else. I can understand the confusion especially if both old and new products are being sold at the same time. The T:ANE program, however, should be less expensive now because that's now an older product, but content packages really don't matter unless they are definitely updated to TRS19 specific versions which I doubt.

Having T:ANE available is a good thing though so you didn't waste any money. There are cases where going back to the older version to test or check on something is very helpful, and as you get more and more into this, you may consider joining into the beta programs so having experience with the older product gives you something you can compare apples to apples to. While TRS19 was in beta, and I mean even in the earliest beta releases, we would compare like routes in both versions because some things worked fine in T:ANE, but fell over pretty hard in TRS19. Even now after release, we're still finding things especially with scripts which work fine in T:ANE but fail to load or load properly in TRS19.

I'm glad you've been "smitten". This happened to me back in December 2003. :)

The assets being sold, are third-party assets so that's determined by the reseller and not N3V. If these are on N3V's Trainz Portal you could purchase the T:ANE version of the content, and it would install fine in TRS19. I'm not sure how Steam handles that stuff so I can't say much else. I can understand the confusion especially if both old and new products are being sold at the same time. The T:ANE program, however, should be less expensive now because that's now an older product, but content packages really don't matter unless they are definitely updated to TRS19 specific versions which I doubt.

Having T:ANE available is a good thing though so you didn't waste any money. There are cases where going back to the older version to test or check on something is very helpful, and as you get more and more into this, you may consider joining into the beta programs so having experience with the older product gives you something you can compare apples to apples to. While TRS19 was in beta, and I mean even in the earliest beta releases, we would compare like routes in both versions because some things worked fine in T:ANE, but fell over pretty hard in TRS19. Even now after release, we're still finding things especially with scripts which work fine in T:ANE but fail to load or load properly in TRS19.

I'm glad you've been "smitten". This happened to me back in December 2003. :)

Thanks for the answers now that brings me to a question I still have.

I have Trainz 12, Trainz A New Era and Trainz 2019 installed. I am happy with the final asset downloads/upgrades to the sim I play the most which is Trainz 2019. So my question is do I really need to keep Trainz 12 and Trainz A New Era on my hard drive or could it be deleted?

I have Trainz 12, Trainz A New Era and Trainz 2019 installed. I am happy with the final asset downloads/upgrades to the sim I play the most which is Trainz 2019. So my question is do I really need to keep Trainz 12 and Trainz A New Era on my hard drive or could it be deleted?

That is entirely up to you and how much disk space you have. There are posters here with TRS19 and who still have TRS2006 on their system (why I do not know).

In my case I have always deleted the previous Trainz version after installing the new version and allowing some time for the new version to "settle in" and for me to become familiar with its workings. Up to TANE the settling in period was fairly short and the interfaces were so similar that I needed almost no time to become familiar with them. With TANE the early releases were, to put it gently, a "disaster" but I had already decided that what I saw was far superior to TS12 that I deleted TS12 fairly quickly.

With TRS19 the interface is significantly different (in my opinion) and the new technologies (textures, clutter) will take some time getting used to so I have decided to keep TANE SP3 HF1 beta (my current version) around for a while longer.

Last edited:

That's all up to you. :D

I would ditch TS12 at this point and keep TRS 2019 and T:ANE as they are the most current.

The reason for the discrepancy in pricing in the Steam DLC items is that the TRS19 items were released to the Steam store on Jan 7. They do not allow any discounts for 30 days after release. So the TANE items ended up discounted and the TRS19 could not be. You can purchase the TANE items and they will be available in TRS19.

The only thing I would consider is if you created or modified any Routes or Session in TS12, you could save them as CDP files first before you delete your installations. CDP's from TR12 can then be uploaded to TANE, and then to TRS19 (or straight to TRS19).

Otherwise, I'm with the crowd. TS12 is obsolete, move on.

Okay, sorry... Reset settings to same in each, first image TANE, second image TRS19;

Settings
Sonic Settings.jpg

TANE
TRS19
Thank you very much for that apple with apple comparison that is very helpfull to me. I was always wondering if upgrading to TRS19 would give a much better look to my route and I have, her, the answer which is NO as it looks almost the same with no noticeable differences. I understand there are new interesting features although, but I am going to wait before buying. So those incredible shot I see in the screenshot forum comes from specific setting we can also do in TANE if I understand well.
Regards!
Rail4Pete

Back