Just need to find out how to feed this in

philskene

A week or so ago I had a PM with a question about my "The Shortz & Kerl Traction Railroad", one of my model Trainz layouts. It was originally made for and included in the TMR17 release, then became DLC and now has a version that works in TRS19.

I downloaded and installed the layout into TRS19 and thought "Hmm. This don't look too good. Maybe I should see if I can update it to TRS19 standards using the new TRS19 track, the new PBR 3D textures and the TufFX grasses."

So I have. It took considerably longer than I thought. Some parts, like the replacement of the track was easy. Others not quite so. The textures in particular. I had to strip the layout back to the bare baseboard and then go round applying the new textures.

Has the work been worth it? Well, I certainly think so but others who have the TMR17, T:ANE and TRS19 version can compare what they see with these images and decide for themselves.

An overall view along part of the main length of the layout:

S%26K_01.jpg

The small port and Flour Mill:

S%26K_02.jpg

The petrochemical plant and minerals depot:

S%26K_03.jpg

"Easy Street":

S%26K_04.jpg

(CONTINUES)

(CONTINUED)

The scrap yard and concrete pipe casting factory:

S%26K_05.jpg

The main freight depot, transfer and classification yards:

S%26K_06.jpg

Finally the Map:

S%26K_map.jpg

You can see from the names of the industries on the above that there are lots of commodity linkages, for example, logs from Port to Dry Sort Yard to Sawmill to Case n Crates; coal, iron ore, limestone and scrap metal into the Steel Mill and steel coil to the ACME factories.

I still need to do some general tidying up and packaging of the layout and, possibly, a few sessions.

I fear, though, that the most difficult part might be feeding this update into the "system". If anyone has had experience with this I would sure like to know how it's done.

Phil

Last edited:
... that would be a great update, phil ... i’m looking forward to it ... one of my favourites ...
grtz
daveric

What do you mean by
I fear, though, that the most difficult part might be feeding this update into the "system". If anyone has had experience with this I would sure like to know how it's done.
You could up version it and then the original will be automatically obsoleted or give it a new kuid and the old and new can live side by side.

Very nice screen shots. One of the things I have the greatest difficulty with is giving my routes the proper amount of clutter. The real world is messy with all sorts of random stuff, everywhere. Something the requires a lot of polys in Trainz to replicate convincingly.

That looks beautiful Phil!

Does the new TRS19 version have dependencies on assets from TRM17 or other items that TRS19 owners won't have?

If no to above question, then IMHO it'd ideally be safest for most people to give this a new / separate KUID for the TRS19 version. That way folks with TMR17 won't see an update they can't install (or that will break if they try) & TRS19 people would see a clean install of the "new" route.

Thanks again!
Diego

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

There are a couple of issues here.

The revised layout uses the new PBR 3D textures which means it will only work in TRS19.
The layout is (well, was) DLC and some/many/most (strike out as applicable) users of TRS19 will have paid for it. So if I did upload this revised version to the Download Station I think that those who purchased it would be understandably upset.

I suspect what should happen is that an updated DLC version be released for those TRS19 users who have already purchased the layout. And for new TRS19 purchases too. If the last digit of the kuid :)xx) is incremented by one it will obsolete the previous version of the layout and all the sessions will continue to work. But how you stop this update being made available to T:ANE users is beyond me. Maybe N3V has the answer.

OK. I obviously need to contact the Help Desk.

Phil

Phil,
More magic from the magician. Your "upgrade" looks fabulous. I think the addition of trees really changes the overall atmosphere. It looks wonderful. :Y:

Of course, I went back and just ran some engines on my TANE version that I purchased and also on the TRS19 version, to compare between the two versions and also to compare to your screenshots above and the video. The TRS19 version looks a bit different from the TANE version, more shades and just a bit less stark looking, but both look very nice. However, having been tantalized by your "upgrade," I now find that I'd love to have that one too. Your routes are like eating potato chips - you can't stop with just one or two...ya gotta eat the whole frigging bag!

Understandably, your conundrum about how to get the route out is a tough one. Having paid for the TANE version, I was really pleased that it was included in the TRS19 version. The route is such fun to drive and the sessions are challenging. It would be really wonderful if N3V were to upgrade it once more to your new version and obsolete the previous TRS19 version, but would that also obsolete the TANE version so that it was no longer playable in TANE? I'm one of the lucky ones who is able to have and run both versions, and I go back and forth, some days running TANE routes and other days running the TRS19 routes. I am lucky to be able to afford both. But the dilemma remains and I'll be watching to see if there is an amiable solution.

That said, your "upgrade" really shows off the power of TRS19 with all the new features and scenery. Very nicely done.

Gary

An update.

I contacted the Help Desk. Zec suggested that I feed it into the Trainz Content Creator Program, and that I should make it clear that this is not new DLC but an update of TMR17/T:ANE content to bring it up to TRS19 standards. I've just done as suggested.

So it might or might not be available "soon". It will be up to them to resolve the issue of updating the layout only for TRS19 users and not TMR17/T:ANE users.

Phil
_____

Edit:
OK, having got the Shortz out of the way (or rather off my hands) I've turned to my other TMR17 layout, "The Port Zyd & Fulazturn Railroad" (Port Side and Full Astern). Yep -- in TRS19 it looks 'orrible. I'll attempt to rescue it but it may take a little longer because it's much more expansive that the Shortz.

Last edited:
An update.
Edit:
OK, having got the Shortz out of the way (or rather off my hands) I've turned to my other TMR17 layout, "The Port Zyd & Fulazturn Railroad" (Port Side and Full Astern). Yep -- in TRS19 it looks 'orrible. I'll attempt to rescue it but it may take a little longer because it's much more expansive that the Shortz.

Port Zyd... I was just running this last night! Thanks for your updates Phil. I wouldn't call any of your route's 'orrible. They are "classics."

Back