I'd like to keep dial-up and old Trainz

Hello,

I am running a Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 8400 with Windows XP SP3. Running Trainz 2004 and 2006 (using simpler and less populated routes). Using Trainz mostly for driving. Radeon X300 video card.

I have been informed by Yahoo that I might have to upgrade my browsers in January to continue using Yahoo Mail. This would require me to upgrade to a computer which runs Windows 7 (or newer) to run the newer browsers.

I also use dial-up due to financial limitations. So I would require either a built-in 56k modem or perhaps a USB plug in modem.So, if possible, could I ask for some information about a newer old computer. It seems that on Ebay most of the older (Dell) computers I see, seem to be refurbished, and not from private sellers.

I worry that some of these could be in bad condition. Does anyone know any good sellers there who sell these in generally good condition? I Imagine that a Core 2 Duo would be enough to run 2004 and 2006 at a higher detail with a more capable video card?

I have read that Windows can set up a USB dial up modem fairly easily. Would computers that have Windows 8 (or have been upgraded to Windows 10) still run 2004 and 2006 correctly? Or would there be trouble?

Any opinions on this would be much appreciated!
Best Wishes. Bob P.

I used to have WebTV and it was the most … P_a_i_n_f_u_l_l_y … S_l_o_w_e_s_t … connection … Taking several minutes just to load one jpg image … I would imagine that downloading assets using a Dial-up connection, from the DLS is impossible

Legacy Trainz versions, including 04 and 06 run on any PC operating system, and DirectX9 is used

In order to download from the DLS you need a supported Trainz version (TS12 or higher), and or a FCT

Last edited:
Oh my sweet Lord, Cascade ...you have given some unrelated assistance to my question.

Do I realize that dial-up is fairly slow ...Yes. Can I get my email and browse forums and news and many lighter websites with no problems .. Yes

Do I have just about all the routes and content I want (about 9 Gigs) ..Yes

Can I still download individual assets without TS2012 (using FTP) from the DLS ... Yes

I am asking about hardware and if the Legacy versions will run on Windows 7,8, or 10 without a glitch. Or which one would be best ..

It doesn't matter whether it is XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, or 10 … The Operating system doesn't stop 04, 06 from running, although sometimes you have to uninstall a certain MS KB Update that stops most legacy video games from running

Most dialup modems are now USB ones these days. Windows 7 has only a year left to run before that is no longer supported.

Not sure about pricing in the US but a 3G or 4G mobile modem may work out at the same cost if you have any Cell coverage in your area and be a lot faster.

PC? Would depend on what you have to spend on what you can get, Dell do refurbished Desktops which are a safe bet, a Core duo will probably not run Windows 10, I had one that barely coped with Windows 7 and 10 refused to install on it.

I have been informed by Yahoo that I might have to upgrade my browsers in January to continue using Yahoo Mail. This would require me to upgrade to a computer which runs Windows 7 (or newer) to run the newer browsers.
2006 runs on Windows 10, although IIRC some tweaking was needed to get it installed. Windows 7 should be OK for both 2004 and 2006, but someone else may be able to confirm this. A refurbished Dell should be quite OK, especially if it comes with a warranty. However as refurbished machines tend to be bulk buys from businesses, it might not be particularly suitable for gaming, and they tend to be models that have limited upgrade options. There are exceptions, of course, and if you choose carefully you should be able to get a good deal. There are many other sources for refurbished machines, but the thing to check is the warranty.

If your dial up modem connects through a serial port then a serial port on the replacement machine will work the same. Otherwise it will have to be a built-in modem (becoming rarer these days) or a new USB modem. Setup should be very straightforward.

A lot of refurbished Dells are Optiplex models which are nice units. Unfortunately many have wimpy power supplies that won't support discrete graphics. These may also have proprietary connections so a standard ATX power supply upgrade won't work.
A Dell Precision workstation will have a better quality power supply but you will likely still need to upgrade the video card.
I have an old Acer Veriton M mini tower and although I had to upgrade the power supply it was an ATX. Then I added memory and a video card.
The minimum I would go for as far as processor goes is a Sandy Bridge i5. That would be a second generation Core unit. Most refurbed Dells now have 3rd gen Ivy Bridge CPUs.

A video card, specifies what wattage power supply it needs, in order to run it … My wimpy 300Watt LiteOff® power supply will only run a GT430

OptiPlex 3050 MT with 240W up to 85% efficient Power Supply looking at the UK refurbs that seems to be the max

They are selling of some XPSs in the UK for just under £600 with a 1050TI.

I've just got the Trainz Demo from 2002 running full screen in Win10 with no problems other than the screen resolution is a bit squashed on 1920 x 1080, So I would think 2004 and 2006 will be fine TC3 works OK in Win10 as well.

Refurbished ex-lease computers are the way to go if you don't have much money. My present computer is a refurbished HP Xeon workstation which might be more of a computer than you want, but for me the price was definitely right. It only cost me around $NZ150.00 which in US dollars is about $US75.00 so there are good bargains to be had.

Last edited:
I'd think seriously about changing to VOIP and dumping the phone line. The cost of a minimum speed internet connection will be about the same as your existing phone. If you have cable they may offer internet as an option with VOIP or just use Skype. You can get a VOIP phone number for free from google by the way. You either need a box to plug your existing phones into or you can use a head set with a computer.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/computer-workstation?filter_category=307 $509 8 gigs of memory comes with directx 11 GPU so it will run TANE. There is a way to upgrade these units to win 10 for free. You'll probably want to upgrade the GPU at a later date.

There is a quite nice 6 core xeon for $819 this evening with 16 gigs of memory in a tower case which is something I'd be quite happy with under my desk. Cosmetic "A" grade is a little more.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John

Dell UK has zero Xenons, hasn't had any refurbished for a good 10 months. All their refurbished Desktops and laptops are running Win10. Looking at Dell US I have to wonder if it's the same company!

Endless amounts of Xeons seem to be coming off lease here at the moment Malc. The spec on most of the Dells is nothing startling though, but they are cheap. I tend to stick with HP when it comes to Xeons. I was lucky with my Xeon in that it was on sale in a refinisher's stockroom clearout with a new Win 7 install.

Hello again fellas and girls. I must state that I'm really looking for a low price, maybe around 150 US dollars maximum. There are many available on Ebay, and I am starting to find very highly rated sellers who seem to talk in a straight and honest way.

Some of you have mentioned the Windows patches or whatever they are ? IIRC ? I would like to avoid any big downloads to do these things, but I could do it on the Public Library computers around here.

Also, as I think about it, I have a bunch of older programs I really like, for instance Office 2000, Art Explosion Publisher Pro, Ultimate Ride Coaster, Total Annihilation, and other older games and programs I really, really like. Probably made for Windows XP and earlier. I would really like these to run. (Total Annihilation is the oldest, but I like it).

Also, I have seen Windows 7 computers mentioning ATI Radeon Integrated Graphics. One also mentioned Radeon HD 3450 graphics. Could these run Trainz possibly better than the PCie Radeon card in my Pentium 4 computer? I run Trainz at the 1280 x 1024 resolution.

I have to keep my budget under control. My dial-up is 9 dollars monthly and Cable TV is 20 dollars, and landline phone is 9 dollars.

Thanks, Bob P.

The nice thing about buying the off lease ones from Dell direct is they classify them A or B cosmetically. The A class ones are every good. I picked up a couple of Dell laptops off ebay, one screen was scratched and the other one one of the ports didn't work. On a side note the organisation I worked for would have money to spend at year end sometimes. One year I recall computers were all replaced. Some hadn't even been turned on since they were acquired in another year end purchase.

A cheaper alternative would be one of the min towers
https://www.dellrefurbished.com/des...36&filter_grade=14&filter_processor_brand=357 $359

But you'd need to upgrade the power supply and you need a special adapter to do this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3762321/upgrading-dell-optiplex-9020-psu.html

Note the small desktop and small form factors don't give you enough room or cooling inside for a decent GPU.

I'd go xeon workstation if possible.

Cheerio John

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers/dell-optiplex-3010-178909.html? $189

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/desktop-computers/dell-optiplex-7010-185307.html? $249

At that price range then if you have a nice neighbour with Internet and WiFi talk very nicely to them about hooking into their WiFi. Then go google voice for your phone.

Newegg.com have refurbished machines as well as ebay.com. Newegg.com are slightly more reputable, look for a box that can be upgraded sometime so that means mini tower or tower for Dell. Win 7 etc can normally be upgraded to win 10. Look for an i3 i5 or i7 and 8 gigs of memory. 4 will work but upgrading later will cost you for the memory and you'll need to open up the machine.

Locally a non profit provides internet service cheaper than anyone else. See if there are any non profits providing service. Locally I can buy internet for $25 US a month which is about the same as your phone line.

Cheerio John

Do you have a small local computer shop like these guys?
https://www.bwdsystems.ca/
If so drop in and explain what you are looking for and what you can pay. They may have something in the back that'll satisfy your needs. With Windows 7 you only have a year or so left so you'll be doing this again next year if you can't upgrade your operating system.
This would be a lot easier if you could run a Linux system but most games don't work that great in Linux.

Back