Fixing Digholes in TRS2019

BNSF1995

Not-so-proud American
I have an issue that is causing me alot of stress.

And it's this issue:
C0EF2C754F3BCDC2F4F290808F9A653900DD1880

This is a route ported from TS12. When I first open the route after installing it, everything is fine. But then, everything goes wrong with every tunnel. And the issue affects every tunnel on the route, but in different ways. For example, on several tunnels, one end will be fine, but then the other end will be screwed up. Then there's...this.

I've been reading around, and the issue lies in the digholes, because apparently, N3V thought it would be funny to break them in T:ANE SP2 AFTER fixing them in the first place! I've also read about "adjusting the height" of the dighole so it's level with the track. What the hell does this mean?! What's the "bottom" or "base" of the dighole? I asked on another thread in the TRS2019 sub-forum, and have yet to receive any answer.

I really wanna use this route in TRS2019. No, scratch that, I HAVE to, because my TS12 install has so much content installed it takes half an hour or so until it's in a playable state due to all the assets that need verifying, and going through clearing out what I don't need would test the absolute limits of my patience and attention span.

So please, WHAT is the absolute fix for this short of having to put up with TS12 and it's slow-as-molasses processing? Because at this point, I just wanna cry.

Last edited:
Hi BNSF1995

What Route is this? Digholes err Tunnels have always been a pain to deal with. Have you downloaded any of Philskene's routes. His approach to fixing tunnels is unique and works. You mite want to check it out and his routes are fun anyways. Moving routes from TS12 is not going to be perfect all the time and usually involves a lot of tweaking. I myself do not do a lot of route building but hopefully someone with more experience will know the answer.

Bob

The base is the ground at the front edge of the dig hole. The portal needs to be on the ground slightly before the hole begins. Make sure you have track spline points in front of the tunnel entrance on what would look like solid ground, this is the bottom point. Move the tunnel entrance to the spline points so it is also on solid ground. Place a tunnel only splinefrom just inside the entrance and make sure the spline height matches the track spline, then join track. The dig hole is on sloping ground and is not a physical hole but just makes the ground transparent.

This has been going on since TANE was introduced and I have commented about this on other threads. Pre TANE one just placed the dighole and then the tunnel portal and adjusted the height of the latter to get the correct gradient for the track. Since TANE this procedure still works when building a tunnel but sooner or later the tunnel portal takes up the height of the dighole. To stop this happening once you have finalised the height of the tunnel portal, point at the dighole and raise its height to match.

This approach can cause other objects close to the portal to sink to track level. If this happens the cure is raise the dighole to the natural ground level (that is the level of the surrounding ground above the tunnel). Take note of the distance you raised it. You will then have to lower the level of the tunnel portal by the same amount to prevent it from jumping up to match the new level of the dighole.

All in all this is a right pain in the banana and should have been attended to years ago. Sure digholes work insofar as you can make a hole in the ground surface. N3V should explain why the height of a dighole now affects nearby objects when this was not the case, up to and including TS12.

Okay, I've settled it. Until N3V decides to fix the digholes (hopefully in SP1), I've decided to use the above-mentioned Philskene method. I downloaded one of his TRS2019 routes, and found the tunnels don't use digholes PERIOD. Thus I was struck by inspiration. I'll also try painting the terrain where the tunnel opening would be black to provide the illusion of such an opening. Besides, aren't tunnels supposed to be pitch-black?

This is ridiculous. I was looking over the ECML King's Cross-Edinburgh route (by way of being a T:ANE owner), when one of the tunnels on that route fell victim to this issue!

N3V, I beg you, FIX THE DAMN DIGHOLES IN TRS2019 SP1!

Back