Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help choose the next Trainz route location

GSMR if it's going to be reasonably accurate/prototypical/oriented correctly for merging. The South needs more routes and it could keep me from needing to create it myself (who knows how many years down the road).

GSMR For me.

There's a longish One and a half hour Drivers eye view video of the Royal Gorge tourist operation on YouTube, same guy who does UK ones, fixes camera to the front of the loco https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpcJ6jJlz6o

Did a good one of the Ffestiniog which how I found the Gorge one.
    Malc

Thailand, Phu Pan Nat'l park proud neighbor
    Blog Entries

Smoky Mnt RR . Its beautiful in the Fall.
    I lived not far away on shore Dr S-Daisy,Lake Chickamauga TN.
    Visited the place many times and its gorgeous.

Roy
    The makers of the famous Canadian Rocky Mountains routes
    Roystrainz new routes are marked with TRS19
    Master my all new Canadian Rocky Mountains routes on TRS19

After looking at the Google Earth maps supplied by Oknotsen I.m going for the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad.
    Cheers

Ron

GSMR for me, the name alone is evocative, makes you think of the pioneering days of railroading.
    Last edited by euromodeller; February 5th, 2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Noticed spelling error
    Graham,
    EM Modelz

United States of America, California, San Jose

Royal Gorge Route. Of all the railroads on that list, that's the only one I've ridden (though the Grand Canyon Railway is on my bucket list).

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    So far Great Smoky Mountains Railroad is winning with 5 votes, North Shore Scenic Railroad with 4, Royal Gorge Route with 2 and Western Maryland Scenic Railroad with 0.
    Did you get all the votes? There is a "HERE" link to click in the original post to vote. I clicked the link and voted there. (Survey Monkey)
    Last edited by 1611mac; January 22nd, 2019 at 07:09 AM.
    TRS19: Win 10, ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce
    All Else: Apple/M
    ac OSX (since 1982)

Umph, I'm not a big fan of scenic railways in trainz but I've done some research.

Western Maryland - already done by jrfolco as part of his <kuid2:73500:100796:1> Baltimore to Connellsville & West Mega Route

Ridgeley

Not as high detail as a dedicated route would be, of course.

Great Smokey - This route suffers from the same issues as WM, few existing industries and a lot of abandoned rails.

North Shore - Wow this route offers a huge port with a host of industries, it would be a lot of work to do justice to the port and the city of Duluth. As far as I can tell the route would be pretty much flat.

Royal Gorge - This route offers the gorge itself, which is amazing, the possibility of modeling the cog railway, and a surprising number of industries in eastern Canon City.

I have to go with Royal Gorge but I wouldn't be disappointed if North Shore was chosen. Not much excited by the other two.

Edit: The survey offers a place for suggestions other than the four offered. I suggested Green River, WY.
    Last edited by normhart; January 22nd, 2019 at 10:00 AM.
    California is not turning back. Not now, not ever!

I'm genuinely surprised by the popularity of the GSMR. It's hemmed in by trees for much of its length, whereas Royal Gorge and North Shore have unique scenery, and the former is internationally famous. Maybe it's just because there aren't many Southern routes in Trainz.

And there is this train.

or this one,

Last edited by normhart; January 22nd, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

I'll toss out another idea, a short line for consideration: Finger Lakes Railroad.

Finger Lakes is an amazing railway that has an amazing history, is still in use and economically viable as a shortline. It has an excellent history, committed fan base, operating as both a freight line and as a tourist excursion railway (in the past). They have a variety of locomotives and consists that are unique, combined from PRR and NYC heritage. Their lines are also well defined within parameters surrounding outstanding natural features of hills and lakes, with beautiful towns, and full seasonal possibilities.

BTW: I would also love to see the Cumbres and Coltec scenic railroad, considered by many to be the most beautiful scenic ride in the U.S.
    Last edited by cressjl; January 22nd, 2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Joel

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Did you get all the votes? There is a "HERE" link to click in the original post to vote. I clicked the link and voted there. (Survey Monkey)
    I was basing it on the posts on this thread.
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good - The Marauder's Map Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by cressjl View Post
    BTW: I would also love to see the Cumbres and Coltec scenic railroad, considered by many to be the most beautiful scenic ride in the U.S.
    Already done and on the DLS, twice! <kuid:440833:100030> Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and <kuid:440833:100919> Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad V2 [T:ANE]

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    - post deleted -
    I solemnly swear that I am up to no good - The Marauder's Map Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban