Help choose the next Trainz route location

Royal Gorge Route. Of all the railroads on that list, that's the only one I've ridden (though the Grand Canyon Railway is on my bucket list).

So far Great Smoky Mountains Railroad is winning with 5 votes, North Shore Scenic Railroad with 4, Royal Gorge Route with 2 and Western Maryland Scenic Railroad with 0.

Did you get all the votes? There is a "HERE" link to click in the original post to vote. I clicked the link and voted there. (Survey Monkey)

Last edited:
Umph, I'm not a big fan of scenic railways in trainz but I've done some research.

Western Maryland - already done by jrfolco as part of his <kuid2:73500:100796:1> Baltimore to Connellsville & West Mega Route

Ridgeley

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Not as high detail as a dedicated route would be, of course.

Great Smokey - This route suffers from the same issues as WM, few existing industries and a lot of abandoned rails.

North Shore - Wow this route offers a huge port with a host of industries, it would be a lot of work to do justice to the port and the city of Duluth. As far as I can tell the route would be pretty much flat.

Royal Gorge - This route offers the gorge itself, which is amazing, the possibility of modeling the cog railway, and a surprising number of industries in eastern Canon City.

I have to go with Royal Gorge but I wouldn't be disappointed if North Shore was chosen. Not much excited by the other two.

Edit: The survey offers a place for suggestions other than the four offered. I suggested Green River, WY. :D

Last edited:
I'm genuinely surprised by the popularity of the GSMR. It's hemmed in by trees for much of its length, whereas Royal Gorge and North Shore have unique scenery, and the former is internationally famous. Maybe it's just because there aren't many Southern routes in Trainz.

I'll toss out another idea, a short line for consideration: Finger Lakes Railroad.

Finger Lakes is an amazing railway that has an amazing history, is still in use and economically viable as a shortline. It has an excellent history, committed fan base, operating as both a freight line and as a tourist excursion railway (in the past). They have a variety of locomotives and consists that are unique, combined from PRR and NYC heritage. Their lines are also well defined within parameters surrounding outstanding natural features of hills and lakes, with beautiful towns, and full seasonal possibilities.

6964.1192032000.jpg
300px-FingerLakesSystemMap.jpg

4530.1192039200.jpg

e6ff433f7d9aa780fa543cfe11e27f9d--finger-maps.jpg

BTW: I would also love to see the Cumbres and Coltec scenic railroad, considered by many to be the most beautiful scenic ride in the U.S.

Last edited:
BTW: I would also love to see the Cumbres and Coltec scenic railroad, considered by many to be the most beautiful scenic ride in the U.S.

Already done and on the DLS, twice! :D <kuid:440833:100030> Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and <kuid:440833:100919> Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad V2 [T:ANE]

:D

Umph, I'm not a big fan of scenic railways in trainz but I've done some research.

Western Maryland - already done by jrfolco as part of his <kuid2:73500:100796:1> Baltimore to Connellsville & West Mega Route

Ridgeley

{ Pic removed }

Not as high detail as a dedicated route would be, of course.

Great Smokey - This route suffers from the same issues as WM, few existing industries and a lot of abandoned rails.

North Shore - Wow this route offers a huge port with a host of industries, it would be a lot of work to do justice to the port and the city of Duluth. As far as I can tell the route would be pretty much flat.

Royal Gorge - This route offers the gorge itself, which is amazing, the possibility of modeling the cog railway, and a surprising number of industries in eastern Canon City.

I have to go with Royal Gorge but I wouldn't be disappointed if North Shore was chosen. Not much excited by the other two.

I was tossing up between the two myself. I agree my take on the tourist routes is lots of what could have been, or what was is around. For the Royal Gorge though it would be nice if it was the full canyon run from Canon City up through Salida to Glen Canyon at the northern end. Up in the upper mid-point, there's also the Leadville branch as well.

Here's a couple of Google Earth Images of the route.

https://goo.gl/maps/BehkR66wrbs

Sadly the tracks are rusted over, but the route is railbanked meaning it won't be ripped up for now.

Mintum, CO - zoom in for a view of the station all boarded up.

https://goo.gl/maps/HwQMSSsD4ep

Glenwood Springs.

https://goo.gl/maps/snRnm1b72aQ2

The Amtrak station is to the right with the active line continuing through the wye to the east through Dotsen. The Tennessee Pass line is active on this upper end south for a bit to a US Gypsum plant, but everything else in the middle is rust.

I looked into building route, started it, and then lost the data in a hard drive crash.

====

The complete route presents many operational challenges that the DRG&W operated the line. There are steep grades, lots of curves, and lots of tunnels, which make the operations quite difficult. Salida was a pusher and crew change point where engines where changed out and the freights continued through the pass to Pueblo and beyond.

Last edited:
I'm going for the Royal Gorge as it's the only one I know anything about and after finding the Drivers eye view it looks like a highly doable and scenic route and not festooned with trees!

Very limited choice of options and why just the USA? There are scores of scenic prototypes around the world waiting to be represented. Even within North America you have sections of the former BC Rail line north from Vancouver towards Squamish and Prince George, or the Copper canyon in Mexico.

However as a straw poll I would say Royal Gorge though whether I would actually spend money on any more payware DLC for Trainz is open to debate!

How do you intend to build a purely U.S. route when you do not provide any modern U.S. procedural track in TRS19? All the existing TRS19 procedural track built into TRS19 utilizes "bull head" track, which has been obsolete for some years, even in the UK which created it in the first place.

See this thread which I started on this subject:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...rd-gauge-procedural-tracks-available-in-TRS19

If I have to choose between a new U.S. route, and new U.S specific procedural track, the track wins hands down.

Bob

If i have to choose out of these 4 I'd have to go with Smokey. On the other hand, I'd much rather see something coastal like Norfolk VA including Lamberts point. There's also tons of Port Terminals in there area as well as a slew of good local switching. Jus' sayin'.

Easily picked the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

From the area and support seeing it in Trainz 100%, and provides a start for some CSX Cumberland action possibly.

Hands down as well WM.

Why not build the Lousville and Nashville line? Or at least the Murphy, NC to Atlanta section.

Last edited:
Back