Smooth or click wheel mouse? - help - ad descriptions don't say - frustrating

1611mac

- - . -
I have tons of "click wheel" mice (scroll wheel moves in "clicks") but I'm looking to try a smooth scroll mouse. So what's the problem? Virtually no ad or product description tells if the mouse wheel is a "click" or "smooth."

I'm looking for an inexpensive, smooth scroll wheel, wired, full size mouse. Anyone have one they can recommend so I know for sure I'm getting a smooth scroll wheel...

Thanks

The microsoft business line seem fairly good I suspect they use omron switches but my optical one does move in notches. I picked up a Cooler Master MM530 they were floating around recently at a reasonable price being not the latest model, I quite like that one but it is not a smooth scroll it definitely uses omron switches though.

Cheerio John
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Where is the problem occurring? If in a browser, look for a smooth scrolling setting, makes a big difference with Firefox. 1 line at a time would probably be as smooth as you can get, if you want per pixel scrolling you'd need a trackpad

Might want to play with the mouse settings, as to how many lines it scrolls see if that makes any difference?

Microsoft, Logitek and Corsair mice are OK as are some very cheap ones such as Trend. Optical scroll better than laser mice. Got a cheap Trend one here that's outlasted some more expensive ones by several years which considering it was an emergency purchase is pretty good.

I would think any mouse sold specifically for gaming would be smooth scrolling and probably has adjustable DPI which might help with scrolling smoothly.

The problem occurs anytime I want smooth movement instead of jerks. For example, in TSR19 I want camera zooms to be smooth.. not in "clicks." I know there are options to change click amounts (1 line, 2 line, etc) but I want no clicks at all. On my Mac I use an Apple Touchpad in conjunction with my mouse wheel. It gives fantastically smooth in game zooms why the mouse moves in jerks. I believe I'd like to transition to a smooth wheel touch on the finger too.

But let's not over complicate this please.
All I'm looking for is for people to give me the name and model of their mouse if it has a SMOOTH SCROLL. Then I can find them to compare and buy and I'll know for sure its smooth and not a click wheel.

I had found the Xahlee page but not the tinkertry. And I found one page that listed the Logitech 310 as smooth but that is actually the mouse (mice) I have and it is a click wheel so I wasn't trusting those too much. But there is good info there. Thanks.

I'm probably not using correct terms.... I want a click wheel (you can push down on wheel and click) but I don't want the wheel to have "notches." Just a smooth scroll.

The Micro$oft Intellimouse...

You can click down on the wheel. (as in useful for spreadsheet scrolling)

The wheel has notches when you scroll.

Virtually no ad or product description tells if the mouse wheel is a "click" or "smooth."
Not so. If you look at gaming mouse the type of scroll wheel is considered an important feature. For example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Logitech_products (G502 Hero, G903 and ors).
Note that just because the mouse wheel moves smoothly does not mean that whatever it is controlling will also move smoothly - it depends on the application.

You could also try Logitec G500s which allows you to switch off the click PLUS it allows you to change the mouse speed, very useful if you want real accuracy.

I think Amazon have them, not cheap but an excellent mouse. Another possible advantage is that the body is very suited to large hands.

Peter

Thanks to all who replied. I ordered Logitech M500. Will report on wheel action and such it arrives. It has "free spinning" / Hyper-Fast scrolling.

Back