Turfx needs smaller radius to paint

drawing outside the brush radius...

When painting TurfFX I find it especially annoying that
  • the turf "splatters" well outside the radius of the turf brush leading to "grass all over the place" syndrome even when being careful to keep the brush away from roadbeds and roads (etc).
  • often the turf brush refuses to paint at all except in special "anointed" portions of the area for which TurfFX are intended
What a pain...

Come to think of it, all the texturing stuff seems to have these problems...

I suppose I should be regarding this behavior as a "feature" instead of a "flaw"?

HF

Makes you wonder what the meaning of a brush actually is if it doesn't indicate the boundaries of what will be painted.

I think "anointed place" behaviour is a consequence of properties such as texture being centred on grid vertices. I read recently that one of N3V's next big changes will be to implement something less "granular" and more continuous, but I can't remember how it was described.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanations on the numbers. Working with them now will be a little less like stabbing in the dark and trying to figure out what is happening.

When painting TurfFX I find it especially annoying that
  • the turf "splatters" well outside the radius of the turf brush leading to "grass all over the place" syndrome even when being careful to keep the brush away from roadbeds and roads (etc).
  • often the turf brush refuses to paint at all except in special "anointed" portions of the area for which TurfFX are intended
What a pain...

Come to think of it, all the texturing stuff seems to have these problems...

I suppose I should be regarding this behavior as a "feature" instead of a "flaw"?

HF

Hi Horacefithers
The turf uses 'nodes' (ie an invisible grid) on the route to locate the effect, with the spread around this node being controlled in the effect layer parameters.

If you use too small of a brush, then you may find situations where it will only paint at specific points on the map; in this case you should slightly increase the size of the brush.

The 'spread' from the painted area is controlled by the following tags:

[h=4]Expansion-constant[/h][h=4]Expansion-multiplier[/h]
Reducing these values should contain the effects more within the grid.

Keep in mind, as well that the 'Density' setting (both the 'int'/'float' value, and the 'meters' setting) set how accurate the brush will be, and how much you can vary the density.

Regards

I think if the UI had better user-friendly wording then folk might be able to get on with route building instead of researching what a particular technical term means.

KISS..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Yup. This goes a long way with lots of things Trainz lately.

That and how about some saved presets, but nope we can't have those either so each time the settings have to be created from scratch.

Sometimes I think I've sussed out the parameters during a Surveyor session and then the next time, it all looks like hieroglyphics without a handy Rosetta stone. I'm sure it works for the programmers but the rest of us need some help to interpret the use of each parameter without trying - looking (back and forth) until it looks OK. Can we get an indication that this UI is just a work-in progress?

Back