how can i drive controls

When you start a driver's session:

You will see the driver on the left, stuff in the middle, and other stuff on the right on the bottom of the screen.

On the very far right is 3-dots.

Click on those.

This will change from the AI driving the train to either DCC or Cab-control, which you can do any time if you want.

One minor quibble I have with the "three dot" system is that when changing from manual control to AI the train slows, often to a stop, while you make the switch. In TANE (and earlier) you could be running under manual control and then drop a command onto the control bar to let the AI take over without the train missing a beat.

One minor quibble I have with the "three dot" system is that when changing from manual control to AI the train slows, often to a stop, while you make the switch. In TANE (and earlier) you could be running under manual control and then drop a command onto the control bar to let the AI take over without the train missing a beat.

This is not a minor quibble - it is a significant change. Where Trainz has been used for those with learning difficulties, seamlessly switching between driver commands and manual control has been an important factor in enabling people to gradually develop their concentration and planning skills. Those people will have to stick with T:ane until it is resolved.

So if I'm driving along and want to set a path for the train using IT or Path command I have to let the train come to a complete stop before I can resume control?

So if I'm driving along and want to set a path for the train using IT or Path command I have to let the train come to a complete stop before I can resume control?

No. You can CTRL+Right-click on the driver or in the cab, and add in a driver command.

If you want to make more extensive changes, yes you have to stop everything to make the changes.

You can CTRL+Right-click on the driver or in the cab, and add in a driver command.

Of course, I forgot about that. Point the mouse at the loco, Ctrl-right mouse click and select a driver command from the popup menu. Unfortunately it is not quite as quick and simple going the other way from AI control to manual control.

Back