Win 10 Task Manager and CPU GPU bottlenecks

1611mac

- - . -
Long time Mac user here with a new PC running Win 10.

Is the Task Manager CPU and GPU stats of any value while in game?

What is a good tool for finding bottlenecks or best graphic settings?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I run TANE, not the latest edition and my hardware is old and inferior to yours.
Assuming you have a new system I don't think there is much chance your CPU will bottleneck a 1060 and vice-versa. Some stuff I've read said that members ran a 1060 with very old CPUs at moderate settings. I would start there using the defaults and move up as you see fit.
FRAPS is a good program to install and run to see the frame rates but remember to go into the Launcher settings and change VSync to None. That way you'll see the actual rates not capped.
Your best measurement is with your eyes. If you get smooth performance and a nice look you are fine.

Thanks for the reply. I love your comment "best measurement is with your eyes."

I became concerned when I fired up Task Manager and it was showing 100% CPU with lowest settings and Kickstarter route. I had been running fine at all medium settings. Noticed no stutter, pauses. So I don't understand the 100% CPU stat.

Also had used fraps and getting about 30fps at medium settings, shadows on, decent draw distance, etc.

When Task Manager was showing 100% CPU, GPU was about 75%.

So I'm wondering why CPU shows 100% on low settings and yet if I crank setting up it still seems to perform as there is no stutter as I said....

Sorry... I'm one of those who likes to understand... But you are correct. Wise words: "If you get smooth performance and a nice look you are fine."

Running task manager will slow the machine down.

Basically if you are running a GTX 1060 then you are running as fast a GPU processor as more than half in the game. Because of the user created content some content can be a problem and need more processing power. If your CPU is an i5 or better it should be fine. I've even heard people saying an i3 works OK.

There are performance sliders basically if you have a GTX 2080 TI then set them to max, otherwise I'd set them back a bit. Frame rates I'm happy with 25 frames per second but others like to run faster, I'm not sure they can see much difference.

Under developer tab on the start up screen there is a profiler tab, it opens into a new window. Start the game then use <Alt> <Tab> to bring it up. The game by default limits you to 30 fps you can do mysterious things with sync to exceed this.

Run Middleton for laptops and check your frame rate. Now run one of the default layouts and you'll almost certainly see a lower frame rate. This is an example of content making a difference.

Have fun

Cheerio John

I put in a AMD Ryzen 3 2200G... should have gone with an i5. I'll probably upgrade as soon as I can find a deal on one.

But an i3 is OK. I could get by with it but since I now have a PC largely just for TRS19 I believe I'll opt for the i5. I'll just have to wait and see as I learn more.

Yes, I've seen the difference in routes. Especially coming from a Mac where I saw the HO routes (philskene) run rather well as opposed to the Canadian Rockies and such :)

Thanks John

I would opt with an i5 or better. The i3 is a bit on the low side for graphics and processor intensive work. I found this out the hard way with a non-Trainzing computer I use for MIDI processing. The machine runs some sheet music software as well as PianoTeq MIDI software to emulate various pianos. When the i3 is cranking, the whole machine really gets "warm" which is very understated.

There is no need to hit ALT-Tab to bring up the Launcher if you are running TRS19 full screen.

Click on the upper left corner of your Trainz full screen.
Click on the 3-bar menu. Pick show Launcher or something like that (going from memory).

Also if you want to bring up Task Manager. Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC at the same time. Performing the CTRL+ALT+DEL key sequence, can cause display issues with some applications.

Ryzen 5 1600 works well with a GTX1060. The Ryzen2's would be even better. My Ryzen 5 1600 multi core bench mark is actually equal to my i7 6700K, single core though the i7 wins hand down.

I just use GPUz to occasionally check the GPU as it shows temperatures and any throttling taking place. If I feel the need to monitor the CPU I used CPUID HW Monitor which gives a full breakdown of all parameters, GPUz does show the CPU temp in addition to the GPU stuff which I find sufficient normally.

Regarding CPU's might be worth having a look here, https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Note the i5's are way down the list compared to the higher Ryzens. I'd suggest a Ryzen 7 2700 which is compatible with your motherboard and better than an i7 - 7700K, 2700X is even better but not listed on passmark however the CPU isn't that critical for TRS19 or TANE.
By the way your benchmark test which I've had a look at had a very high 40% background CPU which would have reduced the CPU score. GPU is spot on for a GTX 1060

Ryzen 5 1600 works well with a GTX1060. The Ryzen2's would be even better. My Ryzen 5 1600 multi core bench mark is actually equal to my i7 6700K, single core though the i7 wins hand down.

By the way your benchmark test which I've had a look at had a very high 40% background CPU which would have reduced the CPU score. GPU is spot on for a GTX 1060

Could you expound on that please? High 40% background CPU...

I have an old Sandy Bridge i5-2320 and a GTX950 GPU. Chugging along at 30 FPS and low graphics settings on the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific short line with an RS&P SW1500 and a couple of boxcars, my Task Manager showed around 35% CPU and 35% GPU. I use the Half VSync default setting so I get 30 FPS virtually all the time.

Could you expound on that please? High 40% background CPU...

If you click on the link in your Benchmark test post , just below where it says OS version it shows this:

Very high background CPU (40%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy. Find active processes with Windows task manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC).

OS VersionWindows 10 is the most recent version of Windows, and the best to date in our opinion.

Probably nothing to worry about, just something else was busy in the background, more than likely Defender scanning, that's usually what causes that here.

Kickstarter.jpg

Interesting. Kickstarter County (TANE edition) really takes my system to the woodshed. I was getting around 55% CPU usage and 70% GPU usage while driving my Katy GP7 freight on this route.

Last edited:
Yup - Kickstarter County has always been a system resource hog. They stuffed it to the gunnels with experimental textures and other stuff to use it as a showcase during the development phase. Thank goodness they toned it down a lot before the final, public release!
To those using T:ANE or TRS19 for the first time on a PC platform, remember there's a built-in framerate recording facility with the 'Show Profiler' utility accessible from the Dev menu in Launcher. This is a low-impact monitoring tool.
As raymac1946 stated above - "your best measurement is with your eyes..."

If you can get away with 30FPS and higher visual quality settings by setting your V-Sync to Half, then do it.
Some people are more sensitive to flicker than others. Many of us wouldn't notice any difference, particularly in Surveyor mode.

Last edited:
QUESTION - SHADOWS

Some shadows "break up" and "pixelate" (expecially tree shadows) when you pull camera back enough. Shadow is nice and "crisp" then as you pull back it breaks apart. This occurs at same distance back each time. Luckily, it is pretty far back. Does not seem tied to Draw distance as I can set draw distance a high value but it does not affect the point where shadow breaks apart. When viewing for afar this is quite bothersome. Perhaps this is normal? ie: shadows have a set distance at rendering nicely?

Here is my current settings with half v-sync (shooting for rock solid 30fps)

Shadow - High
Shadow res - 2048
Shader - Standard
Texture - Normal
Post Process - High
Water - High
Detail - C + T
Antialiasing - 4x
Detail update - High
-
Draw - 4000
Draw behind cam - Yes
Scence Detail - Norm
Tree Detail - Norm
Post Processing - High

Last edited:
With your new GPU, I'd suggest try turning Shadow resolution up to @ 4096 and turn Shaders up to 'Ultra' to get the best results with new PBR terrain textures.
Ultra Shadows has a very high impact on middle-range GPUs, so your setting on 'High' is fine.
Try setting Texture quality to 'High' and reduce Post Processing to Low. (for much better visuals and less distortion).
To see full reflections, set your Water quality to 'Ultra' - This doesn't seem to have too much impact on framerates - but certainly enhances the view!)
A draw distance of 6000m shouldn't harm too much, either.

For more help on the resource use impact of various performance settings, check this link:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Video_Settings

Last edited:
Thanks PC_Ace... Just ran a quick pass thru Kickstarter 2 (TRS19) and with the setting shown above I had a rock solid 30 fps, even in the yard. Here are stats at settings shown above (I'll give your settings a try)

stats.gif

That's excellent - shows you can have better visual quality whilst not impacting FPS too much. (i.e. Having your cake AND eating it too!)
With that achieved, I'd boldly suggest trying 8x Antialiasing too - shouldn't be too much extra load on your GPU, whilst reducing jaggies a lot. :)

:) Good evening Folks,

This is excellent info for me, as I just bought:

https://store.asus.com/us/item/2018...B-DDR4,-128GB-PCIe-SSD-+-1TB-SSHD,-Windows-10

;) Mine is slightly different as I have M-2 (256 Gigs rather than 128) on model above.........And this Dog is definitely in the game for Hunting as they say......Now with dedicated not shared IBM Graphics 4Vram setup, my Game is like nothing I have ever seen since Trainz Driver 2, when I started in 2014.......

I needed to just change one setting on my GPU in Trainz TRS19, of which I've only had since New Years.........

Can't tell you how happy I am with no more Screen Flicker.......I get itsy, bitsy, pieces of Flicker, in some spots, but nothing like what it was before. And the Route draws up so nicely now, I don't have those white mountains with no color, or mountains popping up in the foreground as before.....

I have to say it is nothing short of amazing that I can download the Baltimore to Connellsville Mega route, close to 1.4 Gigs, and run it on this computer, do a delete missing Assets, and it does not crash..........That is so telling over my old HP Envy with limping shared Graphics card........

:wave: Thank you again for your excellent discussion on Graphic Settings.............

The best way to check bottleneck is to use MSI Afterburner when you're playing. It shows your GPU and CPU usage and FPS too

Back