DVD version

Gave up waiting for the DVD, and moved on another non-Trainz project for a couple of weeks (turns out, maybe more!). But now the NV3 latest newsletter still doesn't mention the DVD release. And it still doesn't seem to be an option in the shop. According to my watch January has passed. Have I missed the announcement?

Last edited:
Why do people need these outdated drink coasters, I wonder?
Cannot think of a single good reason - apart from nostalgia for ancient technologies...
As long as you have a good, steady Internet broadband connection and plenty of backup SSD/ HDD backup space, there's nothing better than the standard digital download.
DRM is a complete non-issue for those who are happy to pay for their non-pirated stuff...

Last edited:
Cannot think of a single good reason - apart from nostalgia for ancient technologies...
As long as you have a good, steady Internet broadband connection and plenty of backup SSD/ HDD backup space, there's nothing better than the standard digital download.
DRM is a complete non-issue for those who are happy to pay for their non-pirated stuff...

Wow ! My good reason is that's my preference. I like to be able to hold things. I am (moderately) ancient. I also like printed manuals. (NB: my understanding is that there will be no printed manual with this release, but just saying)

Last edited:
Wow ! My good reason is that's my preference. I like to be able to hold things. I am (moderately) ancient. I also like printed manuals.

I'm with you, Phil. I have a complete shelf in my computer room filled with boxed DVD software. It relieves me of the pressure to locate a particular piece of software buried in a myraiad of thumb drives, old HDDs, and even DVDRW drives in a plain jewel case.

Bill

I'm also one of those users that want the dvd version as well. They actually come in handy really, as faster than downloading over a wireless connection.
As for the piracy, DRM or not, it can still get bypassed regardless..

My Broadband speed is 1.1Mbps, our British Telecom cabinet has no more capacity for Fibre until it's upgraded by Openreach so downloading is not a practical option.

Ken

Not everyone has super fast unlimited reliable Internet, which is one very valid reason for requiring a DVD, If I didn't have a fast 4G connection, I wouldn't fancy downloading on an intermittent 2.5 Mbps ADSL, supposed to be 10! which is all I can get here as the exchange has no available fibre connections.

I wonder what people who depend on their internet connection would do if it went down for good or for a long period of time and they hadn't backed up their download(s) would say to themselves I wish I had a DVD copy. I myself like to be safe than sorry and don't depend on my internet connection to always be there plus I like the art work on the box and to just be able to hold it as well as to add it to my other trainz versions on the shelf. Thumbs up for DVD's.
Alco_P-A

I vote for DRM free version regardless my 100/20 Mbit internet connection. I want to run and play my Trainz also in the future, without need of existence of various remote servers. Once Trainz is being sold as SW product where it become the end user property it is about to function independently as long as supported by the available OSes and HW. If it would be in offer as SW lease (or as a service), then I would understand DRM (for the game itslef, not for content, I don't care about the DRM content too much).

If I create content then I expect to be able to use it. Auran has gone under once, will N3V do so again? TANE is sufficient as far as I can see if TS19 is only available with DRM.

Cheerio John

Gave up waiting for the DVD, and moved on another non-Trainz project for a couple of weeks (turns out, maybe more!). But now the NV3 latest newsletter still doesn't mention the DVD release. And it still doesn't seem to be an option in the shop. According to my watch January has passed. Have I missed the announcement?

My query seems to have been lost in the "DVD vs Download" and "DRM vs non DRM" debate.

About a month ago Tony Hilliam said that the DVD would be available by the end of January. I have been away and may have missed any subsequent status updates. It appears not to be available yet. It has not been mentioned in the last few NV3 Newsletters.

I really like this new TRS2019 and I have no internet connection problems although I think the DVD is necessary because there are many places in the world with bad connection or without it.
I have a doubt, who have TRS2019 now we can pass ours to DVD or will have to buy the game again ???

(I may be wrong about this, so please point out the clarifying notification from N3V to the contrary: :) )

If you have a DVD version and the N3V authorisation server is down, you still won't be able to access the simulator.
As I understand it, the DVD version is simply an installation disk; not a run-time version of the program with user authentication included on disk and at run-time. (Like the old TRS2006 disks, where to play, you needed to have one of the disks in your optical drive for authentication).

Since my entire ISP business is totally dependent on the Internet and reliable, fast broadband access, I'll have many more worries to deal with at that calamitous time than access to Trainz!
I have Gigabit broadband here in suburban Wellington and some lucky folk here will soon have access to affordable 10 Gigabit home connections.
Many businesses and universities, research labs, etc. already have access to 10+GB broadband.

(I may be wrong about this, so please point out the clarifying notification from N3V to the contrary: :) )

If you have a DVD version and the N3V authorisation server is down, you still won't be able to access the simulator.
As I understand it, the DVD version is simply an installation disk; not a run-time version of the program with user authentication included on disk and at run-time. (Like the old TRS2006 disks, where to play, you needed to have one of the disks in your optical drive for authentication).

I thought this discussion was about receiving the instation disc on DVD rather than downloading it. The DRM free version would allow you to switch off the N3V authorisation servers so that you.could still run Trainz with your own routes, sessions and downloaded freeware.

Ken

Ken - the thread has gone through almost every permutation so far, so you're right as well...
Here's what Tony Hilliam stated in response to a direct query about the DVDs being made DRM-free (Post #51)

Will you be producing a DRM free DVD for TRS2019 as you did for T:ANE.

Not at this stage. One reason is that having 8 different versions of TANE (including combinations DRM, Standard, Deluxe, Steam, App Store) meant a huge overhead for releasing a single patch. I'm not getting into a discussion about all the other reasons.

We will reaffirm out commitment that, in the highly unlikely event of the demise of N3V, we will do our best to provide access to the various Trainz versions that exist at that time. (The reason I don't give a cast iron guarantee is that one of the currently more likely events that would cause this scenario is that all the Trainz team are killed in plane crash for example - that would really kill our development potential!).

Also, I can confirm that there will be at least one more public updaate for TANE and support for TANE will be extended beyond 2019, probably for another year or two.​

Tony Hilliam

As I understand it, the DVDs will be great for those who need an installation disk method alternative when their local Internet services are either non-existent or laboriously/ painfully too slow.
And some people like physical, tangible trophies to go up on shelves for displays. I get that.

What gets rather tiresome are the same-old, repetitive and often-misinformed arguments trotted out about DRM and its application to Trainz products.

What gets rather tiresome are the same-old, repetitive and often-misinformed arguments trotted out about DRM and its application to Trainz products.

Its the same everywhere. If you don't like something and feel powerless to stop it then you will drag up any arguments, regardless of their relevance or accuracy, in an attempt to bolster your support. While I understand the anti-DRM point of view (it is a less than perfect copyright protection method but we live in a less than perfect world) I agree that the arguments are often misinformed and often stretch credulity.

You mean that companies like N3V will never go out of business, and therefore leave their customers with a non-functional product? (Apparently, N3V is immune from the laws of finance that govern everyone else.)

You mean that only big companies like Microsoft, Amazon and Corel intentionally pull the plug on their products, leaving their customers with non-functional software? Guess medium and small companies don't do that. Oh, wait, they do, like DivX.

You mean no one ever experiences internet outages? (Because everybody has a reputable ISP, no one uses those small, crap-box ISPs that resell DSL!) and even the mighty Comcast has a perfect record.

You mean N3V never has server outages? You probably need to let N3V know they have a perfect uptime record, because they even seem to disagree!

So the expectation is content creators will spend a lot of time creating content that they may or may not be able to use? We are talking of hundreds of hours for a single asset sometimes here.

I note you seem happy to use other people's work for free but have yet to upload your own content to the DLS, or I could be mistaken?

Cheerio John

So the expectation is content creators will spend a lot of time creating content that they may or may not be able to use? We are talking of hundreds of hours for a single asset sometimes here.

I note you seem happy to use other people's work for free but have yet to upload your own content to the DLS, or I could be mistaken?

Cheerio John

Well said. But, I'll add, these are two very good reasons not to make or, at least, not to share, content for this game.

Last edited:
Each to their own... that's the beauty of Trainz - there's so much choice available.

johnwhelan - As it happens, I create my own content for my own use locally and rarely, if ever, download any other routes or assets from the DLS.
I might purchase additional routes made by 3rd parties infrequently, but only if they are superior to the vast majority of those on offer.
That suits me - but may not suit others.
What I like about TRS19, is that the basic platform and bundled assets provided give me a platform for my own creative expression, which I don't try to inflict on others.

RRSignal - #77 and #79 - I rest my case, m'Lud.

Back