British wagons in Italy

Pendolino

Cab mode weirdo
Hello, I need help from British Trainzers.

I found two pictures of British wagons in Italy (quite a rare sight) but they are referred to by means of their UIC classification and I have been unable to find them on the Download Station.

The first image was taken in the 1970s: the wagon is a conventional closed one, with UIC classification Hfs (here, it is shunted by a Kof remained in Italy after WW2)

168hhxk.jpg

The second is a bogie wagon classified Sfiss, and the image was taken in 2008. It appears to be a flatcar with a telescopic cover (similar to coil cars, but it is too long to be a coil car)

29kx2lh.gif

Can anyone tell me how are these two wagon types classified, so that I can find them on the DLS?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Pendolino

The van appears to be a 20t Ferry Van, first built in 1962 and used into the 1990's. There used to be an excellent payware version available from a website that has since disappeared. I have found a much older model (from 2002) available on the DLS. Search for "BR 20t Continnental Ferry Van" by "Hentis", kuid:37028:15036.

I have been unable to identify the second wagon but the book that I have was published in 1985 and that wagon looks as though it will be much more recent.

Regards

Brian

Hello gentlemen, thank you all for the information and help you kindly provided.

I found - after a painful search - hentis' wagon, but it is really dated (and, being based on the Gs Paintshed Template, is an European gauge wagon).

I found another picture of the wagons with the telescopic cover, who clearly shows a "KSAA" on the frame sides. I thought this was its TOPS code, and I arrived at the page Shanks mentioned above. Unfortunately, no one has made these wagons for Trainz so far.

I have been told by other Italian railfans that another type of wagon - a two-frame, three-bogey articulated canvas-covered one - was (or still is) used for traffic with Italy, but so far I found no pictures :(.

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
FWIW I have spoken with Mike Smith about his site and his wagon index and I would say that the drawings available on his site are rough sketches rather than drawings to go by, particularly for the smaller details.

Do any exist in the Barrowmore MRG drawing library?

FWIW I have spoken with Mike Smith about his site and his wagon index and I would say that the drawings available on his site are rough sketches rather than drawings to go by, particularly for the smaller details.

Do any exist in the Barrowmore MRG drawing library?

Good question, not that I can find in the continental Ferry stuff. Could be under something else maybe.

Hi

There is a 3mm scale drawing of a Ferry Van in the book "British Railway Wagons" by Don Rowland but no photograph of it.

Regards

Brian

Back