Content Creation - What are you working on?

Well done, sir! I like the brickwork at the bottom, the natural wood tones, the rework of the window trim and the water tower. And the weathering of the wood shake roof. Very nice attention to the potential in this asset. Is this something you are considering uploading to DLS?

Is this something you are considering uploading to DLS?

Why thank you. And yes, it's on it's way to the DLS right now.

The other 2 similar re-builds I've done are called Food Distribution Centre 2 (based on original by bendorsey) and House 17-13 derelict (based on original by davesnow). Both of those are already on the DLS.

Yes, much better and I'm sure Ben would approve. Must have been hard work getting the textures lined up without the original UV maps.

Yes, much better and I'm sure Ben would approve. Must have been hard work getting the textures lined up without the original UV maps.

Oddly enough, that wasn't the hard bit. Ben's original UV mapping co-ordinates were still imprinted on the mesh and viewable in Max's UVW Editor. Of more concern was that while the mesh itself looked like the original building after importing it into Max, it was actually a set of disconnected, individual triangles. Connecting them back up into recognisable objects (beams, roofs, walls, etc) and re-organising the triangles into "quads" was the hard part. Once done, the "fossil" UV mapping coordinates made sense. But since I was trying to replace Ben's many individual textures with just a few from texture atlases, most of the model had to be re-mapped anyway.

And after that, one has to fix all the flipped normals, delete the thousands of redundant/hidden polygons, then make a full set LOD meshes... This one asset took me thirteen 10-hour days to complete and I am totally exhausted!

Last edited:
Back