Linux using Wine or Steam?

autodctr

Running Trainz Model Railroad. I would MUCH rather use my Ubuntu OS than to use Win10. Has anyone had any luck in getting this to work on Ubuntu with either Wine or Steam?

I’m, fairly certain that any recent version of Trainz would be much too demanding for an emulation layer to handle. Take a look at the Wine App Database link below. it appears to me that an old version like 2009 would run tolerably depending on your definition of tolerable :)

https://www.winehq.org/search?q=Trainz

Diego

I got 2010 to run using Wine on a couple of distros not Ubuntu but Mandriva and PCLinuxOS, by "borrowing" certain Windows files and many days of fiddling.
TS12 would run surveyor and driver surprisingly well but CM locked up, again as above and more fiddling
TANE wont work and as TMR17 is based on TANE unlikely it would either as they require full directx11, not the cobbled together Wine affair.
Don't / won't use Steam so no idea there but I suspect not.
At the end of the day it's less hassle to dual boot.

The question of a Linux build of Trainz used to come up regularly in the forums, mostly by one person as I recall. N3V didn't think there was a sufficient market to make it worthwhile.

What others have written unfortunately is currently correct. I use Windows for Trainz and Trainz only and for everything else I use Linux. Not that Windows 10 does a bad job at running any of my preferred applications badly I just think Linux is less hassle, less bloated, uses less resources and of cause is free to use.

As for Trainz using the likes of Wine, I'm not familiar with Steam, up to and including TS2010 runs well, but as already mentioned TS12 can on occasions lock-up. Ubuntu is not the lightest of distributions so you might like to try using some of the others such as Lubuntu to see if you get better results. There is also the need after installation to update your video driver etc. using the utility provided. If you are experimenting and running Linux from a USB stick you really need a USB3 stick in a USB3 port, USB2 just doesn't have the speed.

Although my preferred distribution is Mint, I use Ubuntu as my reference and each time its stepped up a major issue retest TS12 and T:ANE, OK I'm a bit of a nerd. Its getting better but I really don't thing Linux will ever run the later versions of any Windows game as well as the intended OS should.

What I have not tried and haven't found anyone in the Trainz community who has, is to use Crossover the commercial version of Wine which has had more development. Other alternatives are the likes of the ReactOS project which is attempting and slowly getting somewhere to cloning Windows.

While many are reluctant to give Linux a go as an alternative to Windows for their daily computing needs yet except Chrome OS and Android devices without a second thought I believe I read on a news letter that a new version of Android Trainz was being considered. It may not be quite TRS19 if that is the case but likely quite usable on Linux being the basis of Android. Peter

What others have written unfortunately is currently correct. I use Windows for Trainz and Trainz only and for everything else I use Linux. Not that Windows 10 does a bad job at running any of my preferred applications badly I just think Linux is less hassle, less bloated, uses less resources and of cause is free to use.

As for Trainz using the likes of Wine, I'm not familiar with Steam, up to and including TS2010 runs well, but as already mentioned TS12 can on occasions lock-up. Ubuntu is not the lightest of distributions so you might like to try using some of the others such as Lubuntu to see if you get better results. There is also the need after installation to update your video driver etc. using the utility provided. If you are experimenting and running Linux from a USB stick you really need a USB3 stick in a USB3 port, USB2 just doesn't have the speed.

Although my preferred distribution is Mint, I use Ubuntu as my reference and each time its stepped up a major issue retest TS12 and T:ANE, OK I'm a bit of a nerd. Its getting better but I really don't thing Linux will ever run the later versions of any Windows game as well as the intended OS should.

What I have not tried and haven't found anyone in the Trainz community who has, is to use Crossover the commercial version of Wine which has had more development. Other alternatives are the likes of the ReactOS project which is attempting and slowly getting somewhere to cloning Windows.

While many are reluctant to give Linux a go as an alternative to Windows for their daily computing needs yet except Chrome OS and Android devices without a second thought I believe I read on a news letter that a new version of Android Trainz was being considered. It may not be quite TRS19 if that is the case but likely quite usable on Linux being the basis of Android. Peter

I completely agree! the only problem that arises is to compile the game for opengl ... oh, so it already has a version for opengl

Back