Author 66128 allows variations but N3V has locked the asset textures - Why?

I never said in any of my arguments that I was planning to redistribute or sell anything. I agree with you that yes you need to have permission if the intent is to redistribute, but not if it's for personal use.

I would certainly not accuse you of that intention but how do you distinguish between users who will obey the spirit of copyright and those who will not? I recall the arguments that occurred here when laws making it compulsory to wear seat belts were introduced - all the drivers who insisted that they were careful drivers and have never had an accident so why should they be forced to wear seat belts because a few "idiots" were not safe drivers? Or similar arguments over the introduction of random roadside driver breath testing. Now software protection is not a safety issue but either it applies to all or to none - which is the lesser evil?

But I'm not changing the code for the model. I'm changing the look of it, just like if I changed the rims on my car or a sticker on my phone.
If you were replacing the content with your own versions then the fact that the textures were encrypted wouldn't worry you - you have your own textures to use, like you have your own wheel rims to install. You would only be concerned about the textures being 'locked down' if you wanted to use those textures as the starting point for your replacement. That's why it is more similar to the engine management code than it is to the wheel rims - there is effort and skill in those textures that the original creator does not want you to be using as the starting point for your own versions. If you want to do the replacement, create those textures from scratch.

But please note the other part of my comment - if this protection has been applied contrary to the original creator's wishes then it is completely unjustified.

Even with your car's computer, I can buy a gadget online (not from Subaru) plug it into the car & change the car's engine management system; never once in the whole procedure do I talk to Subaru.

But even if you're completely replacing the car's engine management system with your own code, you are going to start by looking at the one already installed in your car so that you know what does what. You wouldn't do it by just randomly writing code, plugging it in & seeing what happens.

peter

Bob

If the vegetation is just dead stumps with no leaves, I would expect the time of year to make no difference. The only other skin available to a dead stump (or any other non-living object) should be the snow skin, and as you have said, that one should only be triggered by the snowline value, not by the season.

In the case shown in your picture, presumably the ground itself is at 0.0m height. What happens if you set the snowline to a value much higher than the ground (e.g. 50 metres) to definitely stop the snow skin from being chosen? It's just that when the ground height is equal or close to the snowline height, the results can be a bit uncertain.

Also the season/snow changes often require a forced re-draw of the scene for them to show properly. A good zoom-out/zoom-in usually ensures a re-draw..

You could be right. I am seeing some weird things happening with TRS2019 regarding the snow level. I tried raising the ground above 0.00 and things seemed better. This could be an issue with the default ground on my test route being 0.0 and my setting the snow level to 0.00 as well and the internal logic of the program not handling that well. I did notice however that the move to the snow skin on the trunks still did not happen until I right clicked on the map. Why this would be tied to the right click is beyond me . Does that happen to you as well?

Bob

But even if you're completely replacing the car's engine management system with your own code, you are going to start by looking at the one already installed in your car so that you know what does what.
That's what you would want to do, and the manufacturer is perfectly entitled to stop you from doing that, to protect their own effort and skill. In the case of a traincar you can see perfectly well what has been done, and what you need to do to re-create it. But you have to create it - you can't copy and adjust it. Once you have created it then installing it is easy.

I just wish people could answer a question without going at each other's throats whenever a topic like this comes up. Like the guy who posted this question in the first place, I just wanted answers. Instead, you all have an argument with about as much substance as two five year olds fighting over a used piece of gum they found on the underside of a toilet bowl. You may carry on now.

I just wish people could answer a question without going at each other's throats whenever a topic like this comes up. Like the guy who posted this question in the first place, I just wanted answers. Instead, you all have an argument with about as much substance as two five year olds fighting over a used piece of gum they found on the underside of a toilet bowl. You may carry on now.

its been repeated dozens of times with variations, it always ends up with acrimony and the original point of the topic is forgotten ..... I'm guilty of going off topic in one of Bobs 2019 content creation threads too, its most annoying .

Back