is it worth it?

Looks like you are an experienced Trainz user? Yes, it's good. Very good. By far the best release yet. The PBR 3D textures plus TurfFX grasses add to the effect immensely. Plus the enhanced shadows and lighting effects.

Phil

Last edited:
So i've been seeing videos of this on youtube here and there. is it honestly that good?

Even if you just start with TANE SP3, most of what you do from there is easily moved to TMR17 and TRS19. All 3 are compatible for the most part. TRS19 adds some extra levels of realism, but you need a newer computer and a better graphics card.

TS12 is like the last generation, TANE and above is truly (as the TANE title suggests) Trainz A New Era

Its the best trainz version ever made and one of the best train simulators that exist on the market, so, i recommend it!

@philskene Yes i am an avid trainz player. Been watching some of your stuff too. It looks amazing. So would a 1050 be able to handle 2019 because this is just a laptop not a desktop.

@philskene Yes i am an avid trainz player. Been watching some of your stuff too. It looks amazing. So would a 1050 be able to handle 2019 because this is just a laptop not a desktop.

I'm using a 1050 on high settings and TS19 is running like a champion runner.

is it honestly that good?
and the answer is, it depends. How do you plan on using it and what is your tolerance to glitches.

I think TRS19 is very good but I spend most of my time in Surveyor, only going into Driver to test my latest work. If you've been following some of the other threads here, some people report various issues that may or may not be important to how you use TRS19. Only you can decide if its important or minor. With ongoing improvements, many of those issues will be resolved as the product evolves so factor that into the equation. With the new purchasing options, it is possible to subscribe for a small cost to give it a good test on your machine. Then either stop, continue subscribing or buy it outright.

X32 --

Mine is a desktop i7 with a 1070 graphics card. The option that brings it to its knees is the Ultra shadow setting. Otherwise it runs well as you can see from the videos, even with the overheads of the video recording software.

With a laptop though heat dissipation could possibly be an issue. The fans on my 1070 certainly get a good work out.

Phil

My test/development machine uses an old i3 3240 @3.4GHz plus a GTX 1050Ti.

I am a route constructor and only usually drive to test my route.
Yesterday I chose to take a drive around Sebeno Lake with shader settings on Ultra.
My goodness that route has a lot of baseboards!
Pleasingly my old machine coped very well with it although I did notice that due to the size of the route any quick camera rotation made me notice slower rendering than I am used to on smaller routes.
For smaller routes it's a breeze to use.
So, if I chose to lower my settings no doubt I could improve the visuals, but as I said, I don't usually drive, especially big routes.
I tried the route on my bigger i5/Rog Strix 1070 playground machine and it was a smooth drive.

As for cost, well I took a logical approach and worked on the assumption of a 2 year lifespan before the next big release.
This made the puchase price of the game come out at less than US $0.10 a day!

A Martin said, get a trial subscription and give it a test drive before committing.

You're not really going to get an unbiased opinion in this forum.

Moreover, it's a new product. Better to wait a few years and see how it pans out.

Why wait? TRS19 is more mature than T:ANE at the moment. (as in TANE is heading for a new hotfix that fixes bugs squashed in the TRS19 beta) TRS19 has been a lot more solidly beta tested than TANE prior to release and with like for like settings performs better than TANE and looks sensational at full ultra settings.
Why wait?
cheers
Graeme

Actually, T:ANE is more mature, by definition. Waiting is always a good idea because new bugs will pop up. Of course, many will be fixed eventually, but many will not, and the fixes will likely introduce new ones. That's how software development works, and it's been Trainz' history. The biggest concern, however, are show-stoppers or bugs that corrupt people's projects.

Here's an example:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?150321-I-think-I-just-lost-months-of-work!!!!

While TRS19 is built largely on the same code as T:ANE, it does introduce new features and materials. It's usually (but not always) the new stuff you have to worry about.

TRS2019 has been awesome for me so far. It looks great, it runs great (though for some reason, running at ultra even with my GTX 980 and i7 processor caused quite a bit of lag), and it feels great (though I don't like how the new UI criticizes your driving, nor am I a fan of the 3D drivers; my first reaction was "What did they do to you, Adair?!").

The only issue I have is with tunnels. You see, I ported a route from TS12 over to TRS2019, and every tunnel had an issue stemming from the digholes. This is because the baseboard internal coding was rewritten by N3V for T:ANE, was fixed in T:ANE SP1, then broken again by SP2.

C0EF2C754F3BCDC2F4F290808F9A653900DD1880

Some were worse than others.

Otherwise, aside from the usual post-release DLS hiccups, things have been smooth sailing.

Back