[TrainzDepot.net] TrainzDepot is currently unavailable

Laurinlaki

Script Developer
Hello. For everyone who is wondering why the trainzdepot.net website can not be reached since today, unfortunately we've got some bad news.

As we were preparing to move to a new server, a small code mistake caused our current main server's filesystem to be overwritten by a fresh Linux install. In addition to that it appears that the main server failed to connect to the backup server for some time and thus only queued backups locally which have also been overwritten.

We will obviously be trying to rescue what can be rescued, but in any case this will be a tedious operation so for now we will remain unreachable while we are working on it. Please understand that anyone can make such small mistakes and that if unfortunate circumstances connect (such as a server not being able to upload backups to another) even the best precautions might fail. Now is not the time for "if you would've", "you should've" and the like.

We are currently internally discussing the best way to continue from now on. If you want to support us feel free to drop a motivational message.

Otherwise we are reachable via our Discord Server at https://discord.gg/EUdsZue. You can contact me (laurinlaki) via PM as well.

Wish us luck.
Greetings, your TrainzDepot-Team

hi Mika.
Sh!t happens, recover, learn and move on.
I've had it happen on one of my business sites (a long time ago) and it was an expensive mistake for me, but, I learned and bounced back, didn't loose too much business, just a lot of sleep.

Good luck and best wishes to the team.

Hello laurinlaki,
It's a pity a mistake was made, it can happen to the best, I hope you and the team can save everything, I pray for you. Lots of strength and lots of luck.

It was my fault, I wasn't concentrated enough and purged the wrong server, so the data is gone, recovering impossible.
All current backups have been on the server, did not find the time in the past to download them (some GBs, takes some hours), i'm an idiot.

But we'll find a solution and make the best of that mess.

I wish good luck for recovering, even overwritten HD is readable though. Is archive.trainzdepot content also affected?

On FAT/NTFS Filesystems you're right, for ext4 it's way more complicated, i tried to recover files, but no way.

For archive.trainzdepot, a backup is available, but it won't come back soon, because the software is too old to run on modern server environment. The data there is at least 7 years old and there wasn't much access in the past, so it has low priority. If you need something from there, let me know

Ouch! Can happen to anyone unfortunately.

Might have more success using partition recovery software than specific ext4 file recovery? I've used that on a Linux disk that got overwritten with NTFS, don't ask..... another case of not paying attention, I forget what I used but I think it was on one of those ultimate boot CD's Probably Partition Magic.

Minitool Partition Wizard, the free version will recover ext4 partitions and should be user friendly.

Whatever good luck with the recovery!

Last edited:
Every ending is also a new beginning

Dear users of the TrainzDepot,

after our data loss last week we as the TrainzDepot-Team had to ask outselfes the question, how we’re going to continue from now on. A full restore of the TrainzDepot as it was is unfortunately not possible, at least not one we can use in production again.

In the past we had already planned some changes and improvements, amongst other things we wanted to bring you news from the world of Trainz much quicker than before. Some of that was still in preperation when the crash happened – which we now want to take as a chance to get the planned things out there together with what you’re already used to.

The current TrainzDepot will be archived and creating new posts will no longer be possible, but the forum will stay open for reading. We were able to restore the forum database from the 15th January 2019 so that all text posts until then can be read, however all files uploaded since February 2018 were not be able to be restored. To comply with the german DSGVO law on end-user data storage, we will be deleting all personal data (avatars, log-in details, private messages) on the 28th February 2019. Please backup anything you need.

The archive of the older TrainzDepot from 2011 will be unavailable for the unforseeable future. We still have the files but due to the fact that its software is so outdated, its not possible to get it running again under newer software in a secure state for now.

But as every ending is a new beginning, we will obviously continue to offer a platform to the german trainz community.

We will be using our new website under trainz.de to provide a new home for the german trainz community.
Under the current circumstances it’s easier for us to get the planned changes and improvements done and break with some old problems, we felt were bad for our community on the long term, at once under a new name and web presence. At the same time we want to underline our position as the (major) german trainz community with our new web adress ending in .de.

In the future we want to offer you a newly structured platform around Trainz as a whole, the community, downloads and of course knowledge in content creation.

Please allow us for a few more days of time to finalize our ideas. Stay tuned, we’ll keep you updated here.

See you on our new site soon!

Your Trainz.DE-Team

Christian, Groddus, Mika and Sebastian

Back