Please give us the option to clean in Content Manager

Japo32

Hello

Maybe I miss the miracle function to clean assets not used, but form what I have seen, Trainz has a huge problem with this, that can be solved if that clean function is introduced.
Right now I am "playing" 50hours with Trainz when I only made 1 hour of tutorials. The rest 49hours cleaning files, making some order. In less than 24hours my hardrive is up to 150gb with just some spanish routes only. That cannot be!!
Ok.. this is the problem:

1. you install the sim with all the routes included you bought. All clean. No problem
2. You go to pages and start to download routes from people. Marbelous rutes. That is the strongest point of Trainz and that is why I bought it. First problem. The routes depends on assets that maybe are default, maybe other made it. So you start to search and install everything until you have it correct.
3. You try other DLS routes. But when you download them, they are also dependent MAYBE on some assets that you already downloaded and are in your hardrive that are needed for your "spanish" routes.

Lets imagine: I download a route from Madrid to Valencia, and it is needed among all the assets of a "pink house" that also is used by another route I downloaded from (example) London to Sheffield.
Ok.. I don't like the London shefield route, so I decide to remove from my hardrive, so I remove the route, which is only 15mb. The main big part are the assets downloaded.. So I remove ALL of them from that route. What happened? the "pink house" asset also was removed, so the route between Madrid to Valencia is going to be broken. I need to download again that "pink house".
This problem may sound stupid.. but think about 1000 "pink house"s type of files that are shared. At the end, you don't want to remove anything because you are fear of not breaking anything.. and you also don't download anything, because you know you are going to put your SSD hardrive (or any other) full of junk.

The solution? Clean Feature. Allow Trainz to clasify routes and trains as parts of all the rest of clasification objects. In content manager add a function to search all the files-assets-kuids that are not used by any route or train.. select them.. and REMOVE THEM FOR ALWAYS. Of course, if you want, because maybe you are using them for constructing new areas (you could mark certain assets as blocked to not be removed)
That will safe us time and our precious life.

PLEASE!! I BEG YOU!!!

Last edited:
Right click view dependants for anything you want to loose.

You can however take measures to enable easy removal of routes and dependencies in future.

When downloading a new route, assuming you have not downloaded anything else on that day, click the today option, select all, view in New Window and save the search as xyz route & dependencies.

This will list all the new items downloaded for the route and the route but not those items that are builtins base or already installed.

If you then decide to get rid, just open your search and delete the lot and all gone without damaging any other routes.

Understand, and is a nice tip, but still there is a problem. If you download a new route other with the one you don't want still installed, All the files that were sharing both routes, would be remove in future if we remove the first one.
I think the look for not dependent assets of any route or locomotive+cars, is a good solution for future.

For now, what I am doing is installing all back again, making a compress of all the DLC included first, then make another folder and install by regions. Once I am happy, with the routes then compress again, and remove everything, so start with other region. That way all will be more clean, and the backup will be compressed.
But the solution of finding not used assets would be amazing...

Thanks!

I am assuming you want to remove these items to save disk space? A 1TB drive these days is only $100.
https://www.pccasegear.com/products...VggsrCh0OiAGgEAQYBSABEgJmkPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

To use CM to figure out which items aren't being used try this:
1. Select the routes and sessions you want to keep
2. List dependencies recursively
3. Filter builtin = false and payware = false
This gives you a list of 3rd party items that you want to keep listed in a new window (so the KUIDs are listed in the top bar).

There are then a few ways to go to keep only that list of items. I'm not sure of the best approacj so I'll let someone step if for their preferred method.

Disabling them ... Then they are still on your PC still taking up space

Nope the built-in assets are all in packages, meaning compressed archive files, and do not take up space until they are used. TRS19 takes about 19GB total disk space, if that, with the base installed content.

Back