Config.text file

rossd58

Where do i find this file to edit? I would like to change the default switch stands to something im more familiar with. Im running trainz on a mac.

Then when you have saved the edited file go back to Content Manager, right click on the asset, and select 'Submit Edits'.

Thank you for your reply Phil. Which asset am i looking for? Im fairly new to working with surveyor. Am I looking for the asset for the switch?

Sorry to bother.

Where do i find this file to edit? I would like to change the default switch stands to something im more familiar with. Im running trainz on a mac.
I don't think that editing, and swapping out the switch stands kuid, in the route config file is possible ... You have to delete them one by one in surveyor, and replace them one by one, with the switchstand that you want

You need to explain what you are trying to do. Edit an asset or swap assets.

Ken

EDIT As cascade says you cannot edit a route config file as this is created automatically from the assets placed on the route in surveyor.

Last edited:
You need to explain what you are trying to do. Edit an asset or swap assets.

Ken

EDIT As cascade says you cannot edit a route config file as this is created automatically from the assets placed on the route in surveyor.

I guess i want to swap out the Kuid for the switch stands and yes i want to use mainline stands and siding stands.

Would i be editing my route file? I was in there but didn't see any code for them.

K well i feel dumb now... over thinking things maybe. Found the switch stands i downloaded and inserted them then deleted the default ones. I will have more questions in the future im sure. ABS layout. Thanks for your reply.

Sounds like you want to do a bulk update, exchanging one or more assets for a single replacement. If the original mainline and siding stands are different and you replace them with different stands, you'll be able to differentiate them in the future. If you replace them with the same stand, then you will not be able to distinguish them anymore.

Don't feel dumb, Ross. There are many different ways to do things in Trainz.

There is a tag in the Region file: defaultjunction. Changing the kuid will substitute a different lever for the standard one. It will only apply to routes using that particular region, though, and only one kuid is allowed. You can create your own region if you want to, by cloning an existing one.

The region can be changed by using Main Menu > Edit route.

Trevor

I guess i want to swap out the Kuid for the switch stands and yes i want to use mainline stands and siding stands.
Do you want "to change the default switch stands" You do that by editing the config.txt for the region that you have assigned to the route, as per the link I posted above. After that change any switch stands create by default in a route will be the one that you changed it to. That assumes, of course, that you have the setting to create switchstands automatically turned on, which seems likely as you are referring to 'default'.

If you are trying to do something else you should describe that in more detail.

Sounds like you want to do a bulk update, exchanging one or more assets for a single replacement. If the original mainline and siding stands are different and you replace them with different stands, you'll be able to differentiate them in the future. If you replace them with the same stand, then you will not be able to distinguish them anymore.

Im starting a region from scratch. Im creating the Chatham subdivision from Windsor Ontario to Chatham Ontario so far.
So I'm going by google maps and memory for the layout. Im a retired railroader and worked on this line often in the MOW department.

So can i exchange out each default switch while I'm editing or creating my layout without reprocussions?

Im thinking there may be a problem with that because i got a 'modified faulty' error and lost all my work.
I have since done a Time Machine backup and have everything back. I just added the switch stands again to my route (3 at the moment) and it seems to be acting funny when i free roam.

Anyway that's where I'm at. Another learning curve

Thanx for your support

So can i exchange out each default switch while I'm editing or creating my layout without reprocussions?
Yes. Define a default switchstand for the region you have chosen for your new route, using the information in the link above. Make it the one that you want to see most frequently on that route. If the setting is enabled that automatically creates switchstands for each junction then they will be placed for you as you lay the track. Then you can come back and replace any that should be different with the particular one you want at that location - just delete what's already there and add a new one. Note the location of the default in relation to the junction, and try to place the new one at the same location. Eyeballing it is good enough, but take extra care where you have junctions very close to each other.

Changing the region after you have placed your switchstands will no effect on work that has already been done - the default only affects new junctions as they are created.

My problem is i don't know where to find the config.txt file with the 'defaultjunction' tag in it on my machine.

My problem is i don't know where to find the config.txt file with the 'defaultjunction' tag in it on my machine.
What region have you selected for your route? You can then filter by that region name in Content Manager. It would be easier if you could filter by category:region, but that option is not available - name will have to do. You can confirm it because it will be listed as type region or type misc. Then right click and Open \ Show in Explorer.

Ok i got that figured out Dan. Found the file and replace the Kuid number to the one i want as default. I restarted computer and went in and no changes took affect. I saved the file once i made the changes. ok just applied the changes in CM and it shows missing dependencies after modified. Is the asset no good?

I restarted computer and went in and no changes took affect.
Nothing will change until the next time you lay track. Then the switchstands for a new junctions will be the new default.

ok just applied the changes in CM and it shows missing dependencies after modified.
Have you chosen a region that is editable? If so, and if the only change you made was to change the KUID for that tag then that KUID must be incorrect. Do not try to edit the route until the region asset is correctly committed.

Ok got that figured out, but must be a problem with the switch stand i downloaded... i get missing dependencies now beside region name

I want to change the switch stands from the default to the ones i want to use. When i tried to add the switch stand to the config file and commit the changes. beside the United States region name it says missing dependencies. the config file went back to the original kid number but still have missing dependencies.So i had went back into my next saved route and continued to work on the layout and added the switch stands after i layer the track. When i drive it... it doesn't crash now because i didn't use the first stand i used to modify the config file. Anyway I'm testing my next modification now and if it works without crashing i will go through the steps to modify the region file. whew hope i make sense

Back