New 64 bit Win 10 nVidia drivers version 417.71 WHQL graphics drivers available

Heads up! - The latest 64 bit Windows 10 nVidia drivers version 417.71 WHQL graphics drivers is now available.
Fixes issues such as framerates dropping when V-sync is combined with G-Sync - a frequently notified issue on these forums.
Many other improvements and fixes.
More details here:
https://videocardz.com/driver/nvidia-geforce-game-ready-417-71-whql

I installed it earlier today and things appear to run a lot smoother than they did before. It looks like NVidia finally buttoned up the issues they had before.

Ahem! I installed the driver update and had a little issue - I totally lost all video. You seem to need video to run these utility computers, or so I thought.

The installer did it work, removed the old drivers but DID NOT install the new drivers. After lots of examination I concluded that the only way to get video was a W10 reload. So I put the Repair CD in the drive. But, of course, since the operating system was in 100% working order it would only boot from the disk(c). Unless I had memorized the keystrokes to Repair I was at a brick wall. Then for some reason, my addled brain remembered that my motherboard had its own video system. I had never used that on any PC and wondered how it would work. So, I simply took the HDMI cable from the GTX video card and plugged into the motherboard video and a picture appeared. I was once again in control.

So it was safe to proceed to try another install of the greatest drivers known to Nvidia. The lengthy process went well except at the long awaited end it said that an install was already in progress and failed. Task Manager agreed, nVidia stuff in the system. Reboot and same thing. So the old standard process of looking at everything from Syatem32 folder to startup files and indeed two files always appeared, after booting, despite not running any installs. They must have caused the update code to become upset. Startup had permanent the nVidia startup stuff. So deleted all that-booted. Ran the driver install again (latest). It worked. Put the HDMI back into the video card and all was well. New drivers run without problems. :hehe: There was moer but some of those steps were technically dumb so best left unsaid.

Wow, I wonder how many people would have remained as calm upon seeing a black screen? As a lessons learned, any idea why it happened to you, some combination of hardware / software that caused the installer to glitch? Good thing you're back in the light.

Why is unknown. I was not calm but if I had not recalled the on-board video I would have somehow teased the OS to think it needed to boot from the CD and then a very long catchup to the latest. I had a purchased copy of W10 on a USB stick but how to get the PC to boot from that. Possibly pulling the SATA plug from the motherboard that feeds the disk the OS was on might have told the BIOS to use the CD. Pulling the battery(BIOS retention) might have worked. Tough to go over all options when the water is rising. Who knows. If all failed I would have been stuck with a dead PC and one of those social comms tablet UGH..

My link above shows the Product Compatibility for this patch which spans from Titan cards all the way down to the GeForce 600-series.
The new support for certain 'adaptive sync' monitors in addition to their native G-Sync is a pleasant surprise from nVidia - and perhaps, belated rueful recognition that their G-Sync feature pricing has cost them somewhat in terms of market share in the gaming monitor marketplace...

Back