Game closes itself.

JTrainz174

This is similar to Julian3ce's problem but I have no idea when it occurs. It doesn't crash when it hits 65 MPH. It also looks like it closes itself along with closing the launcher window. I am using the steam version.
It could be a faulty route.
If you want to know my graphics card, it's an AMD Radeon RX 580.
I'd be happy if I heard that they are investigating this problem.

Last edited:
Options are that it's a hardware problem (e.g. GPU overheating) or a software problem. Finding a pattern as to when it occurs, what map, where etc, and monitoring hardware to see if that is relevant or not.

I have a desk and my PC door is open. I looked into task manager and found out it was using 100% disk space. It usually occurs on my Automated Rail-fanning Map (ARM).

Running out of disk space would certainly account for that behaviour.
Free some up (like, Gigabytes!) and see if the problem recurs.
Could be a timely reminder to upgrade your HDD or add a shiny new SSD.

I recently had a problem with my TANE (latest beta build) doing that on a regular basis. At first it thought it was a problem with the layout so I submitted a bug report with the layout and QA were unable to reproduce the problem. Then it started happening with other layouts.

HDD space was fine (800+ GB free).

I have deleted that build of TANE from my system and reinstalled the last TANE release (SP3) and the problem has disappeared.

Conclusion: Faulty or corrupted data. This was further confirmed when I reloaded the layout into the newly re-installed TANE SP3, all the scenery assets are missing and only the terrain and textures remain. While I am disappointed about all the lost work, I accept that that is always the risk of using beta versions.

I have a desk and my PC door is open. I looked into task manager and found out it was using 100% disk space. It usually occurs on my Automated Rail-fanning Map (ARM).

I would think that your hardware is maxed at 100%, no disk space is going to cause not only problems with Trainz, but everything else, you should correct that first. No? and 'It just did it again a couple minutes ago.' means its a real problem.

Are you sure it's 100% disk space as seen in the task manager, and is it the disk access graph at 100% which I am more inclined to believe is the case.

It is impossible to fill a disk up 100%. Windows will never allow that and will usually balk with a warning and if it's a system disk, the operating system will start to clean up unnecessary files such as temporary files and other junk in order to make space, but in the nearly 40 years of using PCs, I have never seen a 100% full hard drive.

A disk accessed and pegged at 100% does occur, however, and this is due to stuff being done that is pegging and hogging the disk. Malware, for instance will do this along with pegging the CPU usage as well, and cause things to happen rather badly. There are other causes as well, and I have seen Content Manager do this on occasion when importing content, but never all the time.

Right now it is at an average of 10% but it takes up about 4GB of RAM on an 8GB RAM drive.

It could be that I am using an AMD processor.

Last edited:
Right now it is at an average of 10% but it takes up about 4GB of RAM on an 8GB RAM drive.

It could be that I am using an AMD processor.

A RAM drive? What are you using this for?

You shouldn't be using a RAM drive for anything and this has nothing to do with an AMD processor in this case.

It also happens on other routes too.

I recommend running a database repair now that the program has crashed. What's probably occuring now is something got corrupted and that's causing more program crashes.

If you continue to suffer from program closures, you need to look beyond the program its self as it can be a symptom of a lot of things including faulty hardware, bad or corrupted files, drivers, heat, and including insufficient disk and RAM.

If you are unable to increase the amount of physical RAM, meaning DIMMs, and not hard drives as many people get the two mixed up, you can increase your virtual memory.

There are hundreds of articles on how to do this and this is one of the many based on a quick Google search.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://blogs.systweak.com/2016/09/how-to-increase-virtual-memory-in-windows-10-a-quick-guide/

The general rule is first try system defaults. If you have out-of-memory issues or crashes, try increasing the size. The old general rule used to be 1-1/2 the size of installed memory so in your case a 20GB swap file is a good one to try. If that doesn't work well double that, but I wouldn't go bigger because that can cause overall poor system performance - it's a bit too much to explain here as to why.
[/FONT]

This is similar to Julian3ce's problem but I have no idea when it occurs. It doesn't crash when it hits 65 MPH.

Well hello. When I was troubleshooting my problem, I installed 4 or 5 version of Trainz. I had just installed a 1TB SSD, and ran it out of drive space. Turns out I had 500GB of Trainz and downloaded content. I uninstalled the multiple Trainz versions and, manually removed all the downloaded content. Be careful if you do this task, you can render your computer inoperatable. Have a backup, at least.

As far what was happening to me, it was anything that hit 65 MPH. Even a lone engine.

HTH.

-JJ

Hi, you're not he the only one. I have the exact same issues. I have Asus Rog gaming laptop same graphics card AMD RX580. Tane works flawlessly no issues at all TRZ2019 totally hit and miss. Like you game just closes. I have plenty of hard disk space available so mine isn't disk issues. I have uninstalled, deleted all files associated with TRZ2019 and reinstalled so many times I can't recall.

The only thing linking our experinces is AMD RX580 graphics card.

Like I say Tane works fine and I have no issues with any other games or programs just TRZ2019. Been in contact with support and they couldn't really help as until now no other users reported this issue I was told.

Like I said earlier, I have bought the Steam version of the game. If you bought it off of the Trainz Portal and it happens, please tell me.

A common denominator through this thread is AMD cards .

Back when TANE was first released I was using an ASUS R9 290x 4GB AMD GPU on a windows 7 PC with the latest drivers and the game ran smoothly . After service pack 1 was released I experienced crash after crash after crash , I tried numerous settings including running with shadows off and nothing cured it except in the end I had to go back to using GPU drivers released in 2014 and the problem went away .

Here's a thread I contributed to about the problem back in 2016 :
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?127881-Radeon-Graphics-Crashing-in-T-ANE

Summer 2017 I built a new Windows 10 PC and re-used my R9 290x and the crashing problems resurfaced , As there where no windows 10 drivers available in 2014 I never resolved the problem and TANE usage was hit and miss from day to day . Due to a blown PSU I had to revert back to my older windows 7 machine in March last year with its 2014 GPU drivers and experienced no crashing problems.

December 2018 I purchased a new PSU and a Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB GPU so that I could resurrect my newer windows 10 PC , Since then the crashing problems have surfaced again , Black screen crashing , Artefacts and tearing on the screen in hi poly areas followed by a crash to desktop a minute or two later . Strange thing is it doesn't happen all the time , last night I ran one of my own built heavy poly routes and it ran faultlessly even with the Radeon software recording the journey along the route , yet tonight a lower poly route crashed with a black screen after 10 minutes of use !

If I use the newer Vega card in my older windows 7 system I get the same crashing problems and if I install the latest drivers for my R9 290x in my windows 7 and 10 PC's I get the same crashing .

There are plenty of reports on the net regarding black screen crashing with various games when using AMD GPU drivers in the 18.x.x and 19.x.x builds , I've tried numerous builds and the results are always the same with TANE and sometimes even worse with routes not even getting past the loading screen before crashing to desktop .

If I let windows 10 update install AMD GPU drivers I end up with build 17.x.x drivers which are completely stable in everything I throw at it except TANE where the flickering , Artefacts and eventual crashing to desktop persists ! That proves to me its not a hardware problem with my PC or GPU .

I've sent a report into AMD but I doubt they will issue a fix just for TANE .

As for Trainz 2019 at the moment there is no way I'm spending £60 to see if it actually works or exhibits the same problems especially after reading the various posts in this thread .

My current windows 10 PC specs :

MB : Asus Crosshair V formula Z (latest bios and drivers)
PCU : AMD FX 8370 8 core 4Ghz
Mem : 16GB PC2400
GPU : Gigabyte RX Vega 64 8GB running latest AMD 19.1.2 drivers
PSU : Be Quiet dark pro 1000W - Quad rail PSU with GPU 2 x 8 pin being run off 2 separate rails .
TANE is installed on a separate internal WD Black 2TB mechanical HDD .

So my options now are :

Sit and wait to see if AMD resolves the problem in a newer driver build

Go back to build 17.x.x that Microsoft wants to install and enjoy a happy crash and freeze free computer ,
but I'd most likely have to abandon use of TANE / producing content to stop me losing the plot !
(which would probably please some of the hardcore brigade on here if I disappeared from the community !)

Spend another £500 to £750 and jump ship to the Nvidia green team with either a 1080 or 2080 GPU
and then hope I can find someone to purchase my Vega GPU to recoup some of the £400 I spent purchasing the card !

Back