Trip Meter in HUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
When building routes I often used the Trip meter function to work out distance between points as the ruler only works for straight lines. As the HUD is now a built in unit and does not have this function I now use the "mc Custom Hud V2" but this still hass no trip meter Is there a HUD with this function. The reset trip control is still listed so it should be available somewhere.

If you look closely at the track profile whilst tracking one of your locos, you'll see the odometer reading for that consist showing elapsed mileage/ kms at 1 mile or 1 kilometer intervals below the line.

Last edited:
Why do need to know how far a train has traveled ?

A real train just goes from point to point, and when the crew time expires, a new crew takes over the trip.

Making 1 mile long (1km long) consist (measured out on a straight track, with the Trainz ruler), and placing a brightly colored railcar on each end, makes for an accurate mileage meter, and for placing mileposts ... you can add 100, one mile long consists, to measure 100 miles ... Each and every mile does not necessarily have an actual milepost marker ... just as, each and every turnout does not necessarily have a visible set of signals, or illuminated switch lamps (as some trackage is "Dark Territory")

Last edited:
Some of my AI sessions run autonomously for hours on end - the trip odometer is a handy guide to how far a consist has travelled in performing its assigned tasks and, occasionally, a guide to whether or not a loco's tender needs refueling, etc.

Last edited:
I used to use the trip meter for calculating grades (distance traveled v height change). When route building this is often quite important ... i now have to rely on the mc Custom HUD odometer and whilst it works it is more cumbersome that the Tripmeter
The built-in HUD is not accurate enough to give good results. And as I pointed out the control settings are still in place.

I place on of these on the track to place mile markers: <kuid:394799:100305> 1/4 Mile Distance Measurement, <kuid:394799:100081> 1 Mile Distance Measurement<kuid:394799:100077> or 1/2 Mile Distance Measurement

See <kuid2:117746:23230:1> Track Scanner. Very handy way to measure miles or meters between any two points (provided the switches are lined for the route) and count various assets in between. Works as late as T:ANE SP4.

:B~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back