TRS19 Edit Trains in Driver

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Evening all,

Wondering if someone can shed some light on this problem, I've looked through the TRS19 forum (all 35 pages) and can't find anything similar to that which I'm experiencing.

In Driver, when I go to add a train I get an error message saying I 'can't place loco as there is rolling stock on a hidden layer'. I haven't got any hidden layers and nothing shows on the minimap but, oddly enough, I can place rolling stock down as long as it's not coupled.
That having been said, I cannot then move or rotate said rolling stock items.
Now, in my infinite widsom I checked the box that says "do not display this message again" so alas cannot provide a screenshot. Has anybody else had this issue?

**EDIT** It seems that this only appears when I drive locos on the 'route' layer - when entering driver in the 'session' layer it seems fine, so a temporary fix at the very least!

Cheers,

PLP

Last edited:
This looks like a problem caused by confusion over routes and sessions.

You cannot drive a train without a session being present. If you load the route only into surveyor and then launch "Quick Drive" then the blank session layer, that is automatically created everytime you load a route only into surveyor, becomes the "session". If all your consists are stored in a route layer then this method of using Trainz does work but it is limiting in many ways.

I just tested adding a loco and then adding and coupling a tender while in Driver mode without a loaded session and it worked fine. I then added a complete consist and it also worked fine.

Your "temporary fix" is actually the correct way to use Driver. Create and save a "session" and always load that into Driver. I have no firm explanation for your error message except for the possibility that Driver is missing something that has been saved in a session, not in the route.

Hi pware,

Cheers for that - I was aware of the session as I don't use QuickDrive however didn't realise that if a loco was in the 'routes' layer that I couldn't then add rolling stock to the layout while in Driver without coming across the error above. In TANE it simply said that the 'session-layer' was locked and asked me to unlock it, but in TRS19 it just seems to say nope and gives you funny placement options.

But cheers anyway, glad it's sorted - just got to make sure I start driver in the correct layer!

Cheers,

PLP

Back