TS12 EDR Crashes, CM freezes PC, lessons learned, and more...

Well guys, thought I was good to go. New issue that has me completely baffled - Any time I try to drag a DLS item into the "download box" (upper left) on CM it freezes indefinitely. I still have mouse movement, but nothing else. Nothing logged in Windows Event viewer. I'm absolutely stumped. TS10 still works fine, TS12 I can import CDPs fine, just no DLS. Any ideas or suggestions?

Couple of reports that the DLS is playing up again, may be related to that.

Just run the Network Diagnostics in TS12, took a heck of a long time to complete, running it again seems to be getting stuck on testing https.auran sticks there for ages then rapidly finishes which isn't normal

Something else to check is the database Windows which you can display if you tick the box in launcher> options> developer> select Show Database Process Windows. It's possible that it's doing something that locking up CM, worth checking.

You're onto something, there. Just a follow up - got it working, content pulled from my old install, and even fixed nearly all the faulty assets.... but.... As I found out by accident after moving this PC to another room and having to wait for UPS to bring a 100' cat6 cable, it works GREAT - offline. As soon as I touch the DLS it's over. Hopefully it'll get worked out, I'd sure hate to search out missing assets one at a time without CM. Anyway, what a ride. Managed to clean out about a decade of old junk files and the system is running so much better :hehe:

Check that Windows Firewall isn't blocking TADDeamon. After Windows Update did its thing recently I had a lot of the same problems that you are having and I eventually traced it to my Firewall settings having been changed.

Thought about that, but don't trust or like Win10 for a lot of reasons. Can't afford it or any more trainz versions either for that matter - at least not for a good while. Been with this OS for a very long time, and at least in my thinking, if it worked before there's no reason it shouldn't now. Here's what I did and how it came out. First tried a soft reinstall ("upgrade") from a Win7 Ultimate SP1 OEM disk I have, and found when it tried to move my files and settings etc back that some of my orig win7 install was corrupt. THAT answered a lot of questions. SO, I (already having backed up all user info and reg) wiped C and reinstalled clean with updates and installed directx9. Haven't touched the backed up info in case something in there is no good. wiped the newer TS12 partition I made the other day, and installed / patched TS12 clean with no added content. SURE ENOUGH - when I got to SP1 (hotfix 3) and tried to open Content Mangler 3.7 (with or without a "database update"), same story. This might be the end of it for me. Can't figure why it worked before for years and now this.

I had so many database corruption problems with TS12 it was unreal. Once I moved to TANE all those problems were gone. I was able to move the Routes that TS12 did not corrupt, into TANE with no difficulty. Right now you can buy TANE for $9.99 USD. This will eliminate hours of frustration. It works fine with any Windows 7 64 bit installation. (must be 64 bit). If the $10 bucks is the problem, PM me and I will PayPal you the money. Your son will thank you, as he will be able to 'play'. My Grandson thanks me every time we 'play' Trainz together. TS12 IMHO was defective, that's why they moved on to TANE.

Christopher, I really don't understand why you would have had such a terrible run of problems with TS2012 since I use TS2012 everyday for hours at a time and I also build my own routes/layouts with it and have yet to have any of the problems that you mention with database corruption.
With TS2012 it is absolutely essential to let the simulator shut itself down properly before turning off your computer. If you don't do this you'll end up with a totally messed up TS2012 install. If you have Windows Task Manager running when you shut down TS2012 you'll see that the simulator can spend a good many minutes shutting itself down and it is completely necessary to wait for TS2012 to complete the process before closing down Windows and switching off your computer. I really can't emphasise this enough because it is the major reason why Trainz folk get themselves into trouble with TS2012.

KotangaGirl, you're 100% spot-on there!:Y: Taddaemon can be a fragile little *&^*$ and you have to have patience and let it do it's thing. Those of us that have been around the franchise for a bit know that - no room for the instant gratification crowd here. As far as TS12 goes, I've probably got 200-300 hrs into route creation, have fixed TONS of content via CCP and manually from older versions, and am sure as hell not ready to get rid of it. Highly doubt TANE would run some of the build 1.3 stuff I'm still lugging around from way back that runs fine. Consequently, I found the issue... finally... With the way it was crashing Windows, I had no logs left behind so it took a while, but it was somehow conflicting with Malwarebytes (Premium version). If I shut that down it's game on. I have always had exclusions set up for Trainz, and am well ahead on the firewall rules etc. Must've just been the latest version of MB? Thanks for all the input guys (and gal :) )

Back