Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TS12 EDR Crashes, CM freezes PC, lessons learned, and more...

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead2578 View Post
    Life got in the way for a couple of days - starting a new job at Volvo Truck I had actually thought of that early on and ram memtest with perfect results. The ram is only a month or so old so of course it was suspect. Still need to install on the boy's PC. Have a perfect chance at that today. This is getting to be like a murder mystery
    Congratulations on the new job.

The other memory thing to look at though is timing, which I've run into before as well. The memory type was correct and passed all tests, but was out of spec for the motherboard. The system would boot somedays while others it would not and the first suspicion I had was timing, which proved correct after checking the referenced speed for the motherboard versus what I had put in. It was sadly my error and me trying to save a buck that caused my pain because I had the "same" memory but a different brand not on the approved vendor list for my new motherboard. What's interesting is the system ran fine until there was a BIOS update which tightened up the timings a bit. Once that happened everything went down the tubes very quickly.

I'm not saying you did this of course, but sometimes memory can be okay in the beginning but fail over time due to other things besides bad bits. I saw this too way back as a hardware technician. Back in those ancient days about 30-35 years ago, I worked as a bench tech and repaired circuit boards. (That was a fun and the most enjoyable job I ever had, seriously!) There were some systems that would fail randomly and some had symptoms such as streaks on the screens being video terminal products. When placing a scope probe on one of the clock circuits, the problem went away! Heating up the flip-flop chip in the circuit made the problem to appear, but cooling the chip with some freeze spray, which was sadly Freon at the time, caused the problem to go away. The fix was to retrofit all the bad boards with a different date-coded flip-flop chip as it was determined that that batch was bad.

I also saw similar things with memory chips, and these were individual chips too long before SIMMs, DIMMS, and SIP memory existed. These were individual 4164, 64K x 1 bit, DIP circuits. During self test a system would work fine but over time it would randomly reboot or do something weird like scramble data. Tracking down this problem was the venerable female dog and the board was put into the dog pile for looking at during slow times. I found it! It turned out to be a bad address line on the controller circuits that produce the RAS and CAS for the RAM.

Anyway before I go too far off topic, yeah this is getting to be a difficult one. Let us know how it works on your son's PC.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TS12 Build: 61388
    T:ANE Build: 90955

Could be worth looking for any Warnings and errors in Event Viewer relating to hardware.
    Malc

Right next to the UP844 and two Big Boys - Cheyenne, WY

Hey Malc! Gettin' ro be the good 'ol boys club in here! HAHA Seriously, though, runs great on the kid's rig - and bonus: He's 11 now and got bit by the trainz. Had him running grain on the Mojave sub in no time. So here's what I did.... Tore out directx and reinstalled from a different package rather than just installing dx9c (graphics card package already has 10 and 11) - grabbed a pkg from Microsnot that installs and updates all versions (?!). Tore out some Win7 updates that the tinfoil hat club says are bad, tore out and reinstalled my chipset drivers, and somewhere along the way I must've done something right. As far as the Event Viewer, nothing was recorded at all except the code 41 for kernel power when the reset button was hit because it would freeze the system suddenly and indefinitely, not allowing any errors to record. At any rate, I'm back up and running. Also reinstalled TS10 and updated. I'll tell ya what, having some other heads to bounce this all off of probably made the difference between seeing this through and shelving the whole deal for another 5. I very nearly gave up. As always, I appreciate you guys. I think I'm gonna go make the Appalachain coal run on a clean vanilla install before I attempt to shoehorn the custom content back in... In cab view.... manually with a mouse... because of course.
    A ball has to hit the floor before it can bounce back.

Glad you got it sorted!
    Possible that Microsoft had sneaked in a bad or wrong driver with it's updates. I have driver updates from Microsoft blocked in Win10 as I did in Win7 due to Windows update installing wrong or out of date drivers!
    Not so easy to stop in Win10 if you haven't got pro but can be done. My Win10 PCs look pretty much like Win7, got rid of all the tablet rubbish and replaced the abysmal Start menu.
    Malc

Right next to the UP844 and two Big Boys - Cheyenne, WY

Well guys, thought I was good to go. New issue that has me completely baffled - Any time I try to drag a DLS item into the "download box" (upper left) on CM it freezes indefinitely. I still have mouse movement, but nothing else. Nothing logged in Windows Event viewer. I'm absolutely stumped. TS10 still works fine, TS12 I can import CDPs fine, just no DLS. Any ideas or suggestions?
    A ball has to hit the floor before it can bounce back.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead2578 View Post
    Well guys, thought I was good to go. New issue that has me completely baffled - Any time I try to drag a DLS item into the "download box" (upper left) on CM it freezes indefinitely. I still have mouse movement, but nothing else. Nothing logged in Windows Event viewer. I'm absolutely stumped. TS10 still works fine, TS12 I can import CDPs fine, just no DLS. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Couple of reports that the DLS is playing up again, may be related to that.

Just run the Network Diagnostics in TS12, took a heck of a long time to complete, running it again seems to be getting stuck on testing https.auran sticks there for ages then rapidly finishes which isn't normal

Something else to check is the database Windows which you can display if you tick the box in launcher> options> developer> select Show Database Process Windows. It's possible that it's doing something that locking up CM, worth checking.
    Malc