The Strangest Railroad Crossing You've Ever Seen [In the U.S.]

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
Roundabouts aren't that common on this side of the pond, but they're becoming more and more common. While there's some controversary over them, the Federal Highway Administration did a study and found roundabouts can handle 30 to 50 percent more traffic that traditional intersections we're all used to here in the U.S. This causes an unusual situation when a traditional intersection, which also has railroad tracks going thru it, is turned into a roundabout, as shown in this video. I'm sure in Europe that there's several roundabouts like this. The only example of one in Europe that I know of is this one in Tirano, Italy, where the Swiss Bernina Railway goes thru the town's main square, which can be found on Google Maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.2179494,10.1560052,3a,75y,359.08h,85.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMRDGPWeP-N8kpelr8v9uCQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Anyway, here's the video this thread is about:

P.S. If you want to know more about roundabouts here's an article about it on Washington State Department of Transportation's website:
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Safety/roundabouts/BasicFacts.htm

New England, and Massachusetts in general, has the most in the US. There are several right in my area alone, but none have a rail line through them like that one in the video.

The do work well when they are setup properly, but the latest thing here is to screw with what's working and "fix" it by putting in extra lanes that peel off at the various exits. The problem is drivers get in the wrong lane then block traffic trying to exit, or are the usual idiots that don't let people exit and enter properly with the extra lanes making things worse.

Interesting your article and Video here,,,,,,

Out here in California, we too are seeing more Round About's too, even ones put in on old Streets now......So I guess it is coming back in Vogue, but for the RR......That's nuts........

Roundabouts are stupid! People around here don't know what to do at 4-Way Stops. They're surely going to be confused if they throw up more roundabouts!!

Roundabouts are stupid! People around here don't know what to do at 4-Way Stops. They're surely going to be confused if they throw up more roundabouts!!

Not so much the round about Dave out here in Aus it is the people who drive every day thru them and have no idea how they actually are meant to work lol, The idea out here is if no one is on your right then drive on thru but folks out here see another car in the distant and stop and wait for it.
Then the authority's who apparently know best decide to plant scrubs and tree's in the middle of sum round bout's so they may as well of put in a set of traffic lights because sum ol grandma cant see what is coming and can not read the traffic ahead so we all come to a stop till she decides she is good and ready. And I have to repair signs now days near on every day because of clowns like this https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2B7E5AE446A660A1BA1E2B7E5AE446A6&&FORM=VRDGAR
Cheers Mick.

Last edited:

Tell me about it.

Stop signs here are optional now, don't ya know?

The 4-ways become the Please after you, no wait, really you should go, no you go, but really you should go... In the meantime traffic is backed up in all four directions as the polite ones are sorting out who goes first.

Interesting, you know that four way stops are only used in North America and that the main idea is to slow traffic down, except that 30% of drivers don't stop, and they also happen to be the same ones who get speeding tickets. Then you get into global warming which I know the US doesn't believe in but all that stop start and slowing down causes more CO2 and air pollution at four way stop interchanges. Perhaps if North America could abandon them?

Cheerio John

As opposed to 4-way stops what does everyone else do? Is one of the "ways" not posted and least busy one is? (2 way stop)?

And what do you call those things where you HAVE to turn right, go a short distance then U-turn back if that's the way you want to go? They just put one of those in here and it freaked people out for a long, long time. Those are rare here in central NC. I know of some further up north.

As opposed to 4-way stops what does everyone else do? Is one of the "ways" not posted and least busy one is? (2 way stop)?

And what do you call those things where you HAVE to turn right, go a short distance then U-turn back if that's the way you want to go? They just put one of those in here and it freaked people out for a long, long time. Those are rare here in central NC. I know of some further up north.

Generally speaking one highway will be more important than the other and the other will be given stop signs or more generally a give way sign. The idea is to keep the traffic moving.

Cheerio John

RE: "Keep moving" - That's the idea of the new "interchange" I mention. On a secondary road you come up to a busy road. Two lanes each way with median in center. To go left from secondary road you must stop, then merge going right, and then very quickly get in left lane to U-turn going back the other way. Supposed to keep traffic flowing as you say. But in real life they found that traffic backed up at the "U turn" so they had to add signals for the U-turn lane and on-coming lane. So they eliminated a stop sign then found they had to add a signal. Genius! These people went to universities to learn this stuff!

For those aware of the UK's roundabouts, I suggest you look at the one in High Wycombe:-
https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...xcd47a66f382f4def!8m2!3d51.628611!4d-0.748229

Basically it's a big roundabout that has small roundabouts on each exit. The main roundabout is 2 way, so to go straight across, you can either turn left or right on entry, negotiate the correct number of mini roundabouts, then exit right or left to your chosen exit...
It's fun on a Friday night as everyone's leaving work!

Colin

This was the first roundabout that I ever encountered. It's located at the west entrance of the twin bore tunnels that U.S. Highway 41/U.S. Highway 76 use to go under Missionary Ridge, which is also single-lane each way. Worth mentioning is that on the other end of the tunnels the road is a four-lane highway.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0093909,-85.2713056,3a,75y,294.82h,88.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2eVS7cRcrkYxvMJ5LWlQSA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is the busiest roundabout in Chattanooga, as it's located at Hamilton Place Mall.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0325334,-85.156068,3a,75y,21.5h,89.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMlTsCfDmk8tA2tUF5eZiLw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is another one in Chattanooga.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0212471,-85.141028,3a,75y,215.04h,87.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1skV_hP3aeqDXRN6q9Msnclg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

EDIT:
Found another one on the same road not far away.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0245803,-85.1394975,3a,75y,356.27h,90.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ9OcGsw2CT1Ipnp6NWfVVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And another one on the same road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0337848,-85.1337083,3a,75y,38.54h,97.15t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sRPhBmuBzu3wr8PBhs-puqQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DRPhBmuBzu3wr8PBhs-puqQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D128.00354%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

And here's another one at a local softball complex. I don't know if this is considered a roundabout or not because to the left and right are entrances to parking lots.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0627024,-85.0863666,3a,75y,198.49h,101.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXZscYc6W5wH62fInWxOzQw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here's another one in Chattanooga. this is one of three that are on the same road that serves the Volkswagen plant that makes the Passast model. Also this is located in Enterprise South industrial complex, which is served by the Tyner Terminal Railroad, which is a subsidiary of the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum. Southern GP38-2 5000, the first GP38-2 purchased by Southern, can often be found working the complex. Volkswagen is also one of the sponsors of Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's annual Railfest.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0702037,-85.1439443,3a,75y,80.89h,96.59t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJOYMBLZUtCsIbmzE0DKIVA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJOYMBLZUtCsIbmzE0DKIVA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D198.96368%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

And the second roundabout on this road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0726732,-85.1322195,3a,75y,39.16h,99.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-Su4ybh61oUaTZEs2Hxn8g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The third one on this road.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0761636,-85.1280694,3a,75y,70.25h,98.6t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stegZ-OxH5QB-lUI8b8hKRA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Just about every roundabout that I have seen in the US, has had a set of skidmarks that go straight though it (with damaged reflector signs, plants or shrubs) :D.

Had a hell of a time negotiating a busy one one at night in Waco because you couldn't tell which road was which. Took it 3 times and ended up going in the wrong direction every time. Ultimately, found a different road that bypassed it altogether.

And then there is T_Entersections too...........

So in my Case, I have a T-Intersection around the corner from me,

It's so elementary, you stop, then proceed Left or Right, and that is most elegant and Simple, but NO, the poor house across the T has had, wait for this, 5 Vehicles either hit the Curb, because they didn't know to Turn, or where Drunk at 2:30 in the morning, and ran through the guys garage into their back yard, yup, that's right, and he almost drove into the Block wall, and would have ended up in the next neighbors yard......

Of course it was a Rental, and Family was so scared to death after that ordeal at 300 AM in the morning, they moved out in one week later........

Now that's a T-Intersection, the number one thing I see, no one wants to use their Turn Signals, they want us to mind readers, and of course there is the California, or Rolling Stop, now mind you, within 2 blocks both up the street, and on the on the other side of the Street is one high school and one Middle School........What a mess......

Oh, and at the bottom of my street, it is a TEE also for the High School across from me, and they put a Stop Sign for 3 way stop on "T" from a 2 way setup......About 3-4 years ago.........

Now I have been almost hit 7 times with folks failing to stop at this Stop sign in the middle of the high School main Crossing............So when I leave my house, and Stop, having to make a Right or a Left on T, I watch carefully to see if the Drivers approaching from left or right will also make the stop at the Stop Sign.(3way).....A good portion do not stop completely, they get 1/2 or 1/4 of the way in the intersection, and then look at me? Maybe and I really hate to say this, is there a lot of distracted driving going on with Cell Phones, loud music, etc,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,,Who knows......?

Egads,,,,,,,,,,,And I have a large Pickup, you can't miss it.......

It has gotten so bad, that the High School has requested Police department enforcement at the bottom of my Street, since the speeding loons, can't stop, and/or speed in a 25 MPH high school area.........My fear, is one day I'll hear about a Student that gets hit in the Crosswalk............And plenty of Tickets are handed out to the violators, and there not cheap for the Driver or there insurance costs for a moving violation.......

Heaven help us, some of the Drivers surely can't..........

So in my Case, I have a T-Intersection around the corner from me,

It's so elementary, you stop, then proceed Left or Right, and that is most elegant and Simple, but NO, the poor house across the T has had, wait for this, 5 Vehicles either hit the Curb, because they didn't know to Turn, or where Drunk at 2:30 in the morning, and ran through the guys garage into their back yard, yup, that's right, and he almost drove into the Block wall, and would have ended up in the next neighbors yard......

Of course it was a Rental, and Family was so scared to death after that ordeal at 300 AM in the morning, they moved out in one week later........

Now that's a T-Intersection, the number one thing I see, no one wants to use their Turn Signals, they want us to mind readers, and of course there is the California, or Rolling Stop, now mind you, within 2 blocks both up the street, and on the on the other side of the Street is one high school and one Middle School........What a mess......

Oh, and at the bottom of my street, it is a TEE also for the High School across from me, and they put a Stop Sign for 3 way stop on "T" from a 2 way setup......About 3-4 years ago.........

Now I have been almost hit 7 times with folks failing to stop at this Stop sign in the middle of the high School main Crossing............So when I leave my house, and Stop, having to make a Right or a Left on T, I watch carefully to see if the Drivers approaching from left or right will also make the stop at the Stop Sign.(3way).....A good portion do not stop completely, they get 1/2 or 1/4 of the way in the intersection, and then look at me? Maybe and I really hate to say this, is there a lot of distracted driving going on with Cell Phones, loud music, etc,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,,Who knows......?

Egads,,,,,,,,,,,And I have a large Pickup, you can't miss it.......

It has gotten so bad, that the High School has requested Police department enforcement at the bottom of my Street, since the speeding loons, can't stop, and/or speed in a 25 MPH high school area.........My fear, is one day I'll hear about a Student that gets hit in the Crosswalk............And plenty of Tickets are handed out to the violators, and there not cheap for the Driver or there insurance costs for a moving violation.......

Heaven help us, some of the Drivers surely can't..........

You have my sympathies.

I have a wye intersection at the end of my street that connects to a busy road. People use my street as a shortcut and whip around those corners on to the busy street and have caused some good accidents as well as some near miss head-ons on my street. If I head right, I cross another busy street and then come to a T-intersection. The other day I was making a left, and nearly got clipped in the intersection because someone decided to go around me as I was turning into the street. Yes, I did stop at the stop sign and look both ways and no one was coming from the right. This guy shot out of another side street and didn't bother to stop for me while I was in the middle of the road. When he got to the stoplight, he blew through the red as though it didn't exist. Later on after we did our errands, the same guy pulled out of a parking-lot behind us. He didn't bother to stop then either at the stop-sign and nearly hit someone else.

I agree it's people being preoccupied with other activities instead of driving.

The idea out here is if no one is on your right then drive on thru but folks out here see another car in the distant and stop and wait for it.
They stop and wait for it because they suspect it will probably on through if there's nothing on its right! The 'give way to the right' rule hasn't existed for decades, but people still stick to it, and it makes the roundabouts ineffective.

There is some research that says junctions with four way stops are more dangerous for pedestrians than those without. Apparently pedestrians expect the cars to stop at the stop sign and not all of them do.

Cheerio John

The road that I live on is the last intersection on the main road in the subdivision that I live in, so a large majority of the traffic that uses this road is gone, turned onto other roads that lead to majority of the houses in this subdivision. However, that doesn't mean it's a quiet road, because a majority of the drivers that use the road I live on actually turn at an intersection just before my house and go up the mountain that I live at the bottom of because most of the houses off the road I live on are further up the mountain. This means that most of the cars that past by my house are people that live here, are relatives of said people, and the occasional person who missed the turn to go up the mountain.

Back