Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Strangest Railroad Crossing You've Ever Seen [In the U.S.]

Talking And then there is T_Entersections too...........

So in my Case, I have a T-Intersection around the corner from me,

It's so elementary, you stop, then proceed Left or Right, and that is most elegant and Simple, but NO, the poor house across the T has had, wait for this, 5 Vehicles either hit the Curb, because they didn't know to Turn, or where Drunk at 2:30 in the morning, and ran through the guys garage into their back yard, yup, that's right, and he almost drove into the Block wall, and would have ended up in the next neighbors yard......

Of course it was a Rental, and Family was so scared to death after that ordeal at 300 AM in the morning, they moved out in one week later........

Now that's a T-Intersection, the number one thing I see, no one wants to use their Turn Signals, they want us to mind readers, and of course there is the California, or Rolling Stop, now mind you, within 2 blocks both up the street, and on the on the other side of the Street is one high school and one Middle School........What a mess......

Oh, and at the bottom of my street, it is a TEE also for the High School across from me, and they put a Stop Sign for 3 way stop on "T" from a 2 way setup......About 3-4 years ago.........

Now I have been almost hit 7 times with folks failing to stop at this Stop sign in the middle of the high School main Crossing............So when I leave my house, and Stop, having to make a Right or a Left on T, I watch carefully to see if the Drivers approaching from left or right will also make the stop at the Stop Sign.(3way).....A good portion do not stop completely, they get 1/2 or 1/4 of the way in the intersection, and then look at me? Maybe and I really hate to say this, is there a lot of distracted driving going on with Cell Phones, loud music, etc,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,,Who knows......?

Egads,,,,,,,,,,,And I have a large Pickup, you can't miss it.......

It has gotten so bad, that the High School has requested Police department enforcement at the bottom of my Street, since the speeding loons, can't stop, and/or speed in a 25 MPH high school area.........My fear, is one day I'll hear about a Student that gets hit in the Crosswalk............And plenty of Tickets are handed out to the violators, and there not cheap for the Driver or there insurance costs for a moving violation.......

Heaven help us, some of the Drivers surely can't..........

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    So in my Case, I have a T-Intersection around the corner from me,

It's so elementary, you stop, then proceed Left or Right, and that is most elegant and Simple, but NO, the poor house across the T has had, wait for this, 5 Vehicles either hit the Curb, because they didn't know to Turn, or where Drunk at 2:30 in the morning, and ran through the guys garage into their back yard, yup, that's right, and he almost drove into the Block wall, and would have ended up in the next neighbors yard......

Of course it was a Rental, and Family was so scared to death after that ordeal at 300 AM in the morning, they moved out in one week later........

Now that's a T-Intersection, the number one thing I see, no one wants to use their Turn Signals, they want us to mind readers, and of course there is the California, or Rolling Stop, now mind you, within 2 blocks both up the street, and on the on the other side of the Street is one high school and one Middle School........What a mess......

Oh, and at the bottom of my street, it is a TEE also for the High School across from me, and they put a Stop Sign for 3 way stop on "T" from a 2 way setup......About 3-4 years ago.........

Now I have been almost hit 7 times with folks failing to stop at this Stop sign in the middle of the high School main Crossing............So when I leave my house, and Stop, having to make a Right or a Left on T, I watch carefully to see if the Drivers approaching from left or right will also make the stop at the Stop Sign.(3way).....A good portion do not stop completely, they get 1/2 or 1/4 of the way in the intersection, and then look at me? Maybe and I really hate to say this, is there a lot of distracted driving going on with Cell Phones, loud music, etc,,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,,Who knows......?

Egads,,,,,,,,,,,And I have a large Pickup, you can't miss it.......

It has gotten so bad, that the High School has requested Police department enforcement at the bottom of my Street, since the speeding loons, can't stop, and/or speed in a 25 MPH high school area.........My fear, is one day I'll hear about a Student that gets hit in the Crosswalk............And plenty of Tickets are handed out to the violators, and there not cheap for the Driver or there insurance costs for a moving violation.......

Heaven help us, some of the Drivers surely can't..........
    You have my sympathies.

I have a wye intersection at the end of my street that connects to a busy road. People use my street as a shortcut and whip around those corners on to the busy street and have caused some good accidents as well as some near miss head-ons on my street. If I head right, I cross another busy street and then come to a T-intersection. The other day I was making a left, and nearly got clipped in the intersection because someone decided to go around me as I was turning into the street. Yes, I did stop at the stop sign and look both ways and no one was coming from the right. This guy shot out of another side street and didn't bother to stop for me while I was in the middle of the road. When he got to the stoplight, he blew through the red as though it didn't exist. Later on after we did our errands, the same guy pulled out of a parking-lot behind us. He didn't bother to stop then either at the stop-sign and nearly hit someone else.

I agree it's people being preoccupied with other activities instead of driving.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

Quote Originally Posted by matruck View Post
    The idea out here is if no one is on your right then drive on thru but folks out here see another car in the distant and stop and wait for it.
    They stop and wait for it because they suspect it will probably on through if there's nothing on its right! The 'give way to the right' rule hasn't existed for decades, but people still stick to it, and it makes the roundabouts ineffective.

There is some research that says junctions with four way stops are more dangerous for pedestrians than those without. Apparently pedestrians expect the cars to stop at the stop sign and not all of them do.

Cheerio John

United States of America, Georgia, Rocky Face
    Blog Entries

The road that I live on is the last intersection on the main road in the subdivision that I live in, so a large majority of the traffic that uses this road is gone, turned onto other roads that lead to majority of the houses in this subdivision. However, that doesn't mean it's a quiet road, because a majority of the drivers that use the road I live on actually turn at an intersection just before my house and go up the mountain that I live at the bottom of because most of the houses off the road I live on are further up the mountain. This means that most of the cars that past by my house are people that live here, are relatives of said people, and the occasional person who missed the turn to go up the mountain.
    Trainz - Easy as Pi

To "turn" left, the "thing" I describe a few posts up (with link) causes one to merge right onto highway with people going 70mph, immediately get in left lane, and then do a sharp U-turn in front of the oncoming traffic, again, going 70 to 75 mph, to go back the other way. Imagine a school bus doing that!
    Win 10: TRS19-100240: ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce, 1TB EVO SSD, 224GB system SSD
    (& iMac and MBP installs)

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    To "turn" left, the "thing" I describe a few posts up (with link) causes one to merge right onto highway with people going 70mph, immediately get in left lane, and then do a sharp U-turn in front of the oncoming traffic, again, going 70 to 75 mph, to go back the other way. Imagine a school bus doing that!
    That's something that's not found very much up where I live, but I do recall seeing a lot of 70-75 mph back roads and two-lane main roads while across the Midwest, and parts of the South. Old US 1 and some other roads up my way have turn arounds, but they use those jug-handle type setups where people have to go right then up and over to head back the other way. There are also some with sets of lights on the road they're crossing, but those do cause traffic tie ups. These are, however, a new addition probably put in during the last 30 years during an effort to make the road safer, but Old US 1 was and still is a dangerous road to drive.

It's only 2 lanes in some places and 3 lanes in others, with shopping plazas and malls along both sides with random sets of lights at various points. With these shopping plazas and malls, there is no separate access road, which I've seen down in Texas or elsewhere, and the entrances and exits are right there on the road. To add insult to injury, the speed is 55 mph, but no one does that and people fly along then suddenly stop dead at stoplights. The other scary thing are stop signs for the onramps. Yes! People have to stop dead then enter a highway with people moving along at 55+plus mph. When a lot of the idgits pull out on to the main road, they don't bother to come up to speed either and that causes more rear-ender accidents just as they do when they enter from a shopping mall.

When driving this road, my heart is up in my mouth and pounding hard because there's always an accident or one waiting to happen. I'm glad I don't do that very often!
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592