Identify Head end of 120ft turntable

I am using the 120ft turntable on a layout. In driver there is no way to visually distinguish one end from the other. Can anyone advise a way to visually do this? Being able to add an operator platform to one end would be nice, but I don't know a way to do this. I am not ready to tackle content creation.

I never knew that there was a "head end" of a turntable, and I am still unconvinced that it makes any difference. I always thought that since they operated exactly the same regardless of which end was facing the loco, it made no difference which end was first. Please show me where I am wrong in this as it makes no sense to me.

If I control manually, it makes no difference. But if I set up a session and use the move turntable command and specify stop 1 for example, it will turn 15 degrees if it was at stop zero. But if it was at stop 5, it will have to turn 195 degrees. Without a position reference I have to remember (correctly) the present position. In my layout I have 4 tracks incoming and 5 tracks out to roundhouse side, thus use 10 of the 24 possible stops. Stops zero and 5 are 180 degrees apart.

If you have 24 then the move turntable will have 0 to 23. 0 is the default position when first placed 11 would be 180 degrees. Stop 5 back to 0 would only move 75 degrees as it would go anti clockwise. Although you are only using 10 the move turntable still needs to be set up as 23 (24 including 0). From the west side, point 0 you go clockwise to 23, 24 would be 0. So the front end is always the end that moves to the number you select. Train drives on forward at 0, move to 5 train comes off backwards, move to 16 train comes off at 5 forwards.

In addition, the MoveTurntable driver command has relative movements (prev, next) as well as absolute (0 ... 23).

I understand your problem but I have no solution. As far as identifying a "head end" by a visible physical attribute such as control cab, this would not be something that is present on all turntables, including 24 road ones.

Hmm interesting challenge so, having thought about it......

There is one way of marking the head end, once you have worked out which end it is and that is to drop a trackside asset onto the end of the turntable, just tried it here with a crossing board, which happily rotates with the turntable, if you rummage through the trackside assets there may well be something you can add that doesn't look out of place although something like a crossing board is probably not going to detract from the appearance much.

I suspect that the solution you want would be to "reset" the turntable after each use. For example, after the loco has left the TT issue a "MoveTurntable 0" driver command. That way it will always be left in the same position.

Back