Thread: US Roads and Shareing.

Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

Default US Roads and Shareing.

I've often wondered how railroads (in the US) compensate each other when the share equipment. How much distance a foreign consist has traveled or your track is easy to, well, track. But loco's? Rolling stock? in modern times you could probably use software to see how far you loco went while with the other company and how hard to worked but, seems like a lot to keep track of.

I don't think they charge by the mile ... like a taxi cab meter

It's probably like renting a U Haul truck ... When you rent/lease a CSX loco and send it to Wyoming, you get charged by the day, not the miles, and you pay for the "Gas" ? Or it is a "POOL" service
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; January 10th, 2019 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bnsfc View Post
    in modern times you could probably use software to see how far you loco went while with the other company and how hard to worked but, seems like a lot to keep track of.
    Many years ago, well before computers were available to do the job, I worked with the man at the NSW Wheat Board who knew the location of every single piece of rolling stock they owned, or had ever owned. As they transported virtually the whole of the State's wheat production, there were a lot of items to track. His workmates used to ty to trick him with odd questions and false information, but they never succeeded. He did not track miles covered, just where they were and what they were doing.

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

The 1880 interchange agreement has all the info if you need it.