Don't joysticks work on TRS2019?

Maybe is absurd for you, but not for me at all. It is a delicious to use my throttle axis to manage the throttles and brakes, or even reversers. Let users decide what to use. I have been using my throttle quadrant with every train simulator I had, and never miss any raildriver joystick. Please not more joysticks to be bought and filling space when we have already ones that works.
Of course I see pedals or wheels something strange to manage a train.. but Throttle axis? Totally right, if you ask me.

While I agree with the general idea presented by Cascaderailroad, if you can jury-rig an interface, go for it. I just don't see official support happening any time soon, since I think they have other things to fix first.

Strictly speaking, anything other than the real controls: steam, diesel or electric are a kluge. When was the last time a real locomotive was controlled by a mouse and keyboard?

Could you please share the script please?
Sure, it's in Visual Basic 6
and how to make it work step by step to the not programmer users?
I don't want to be rude, but, that's not going to happen. Took me 20+ years to learn coding and troubleshootng. Giving you step-by-step would be incredible complicated... especially for non-programmers. Sorry.

As a joystick is meant for driving a vehicle/aeroplane
It's meant for what ever I want
Why would a joystick ever be employed in Trainz
Because trains uses sliders... which is what a joystick is. They are not all the same.
Or Why would a joystick ever be employed in a locomotive control stand?
I've never been in a real train, but by what I see in the sim, my throttle quadrant is very similar.
That would be akin to driving Trainz via your Alexa personal assistant
As opposed to a keyboard?
A joystick, or steering wheel ... Just doesn't make any sense
Did I say anything about a steering wheel. Did you even watch the video???
like asking Trainz to function via a Playstaion4 controller ... the idea is totally absurd
Again, as opposed to a KEYBOARD???

Now the nasty in me is going to emerge. I hear the same thing from Traditional Organists because I play differently and an organ that does most of the work for me. You play your games your way, and let me play mine, my way! It's like me saying, why should you expect me to PM you on Skype when I can PM you on here.

Goodbye!

...if you can jury-rig an interface, go for it. I just don't see official support happening any time soon, since I think they have other things to fix first.
My question is why haven't they incorporated controller support from the beginning? It's been 15 years. Stop trying to make it pretty and make it work! Now, there's no derailment? How do I learn from my mistakes?

Flight sims try to recreated the real thing. Does Rail Driver do that? I see levers in the sim and I have levers, but nope, no support. Oh well, maybe with the next version @ $70. That's a days pay for me!

Maybe is absurd for you, but not for me at all. It is a delicious to use my throttle axis to manage the throttles and brakes, or even reversers. Let users decide what to use. I have been using my throttle quadrant with every train simulator I had, and never miss any raildriver joystick. Please not more joysticks to be bought and filling space when we have already ones that works.
Of course I see pedals or wheels something strange to manage a train.. but Throttle axis? Totally right, if you ask me.
Thank you for the backup!

Sure, it's in Visual Basic 6
I don't want to be rude, but, that's not going to happen. Took me 20+ years to learn coding and troubleshootng. Giving you step-by-step would be incredible complicated... especially for non-programmers. Sorry.
Well.. I am also more than 20 years making videogames and 3D.. and I know a very little of programming, so you pass the script and I can see what I can do, but if you say that is too complicated explain how to do things, of course it takes time.. but I did it in my projects. 100+ of more than 5 hours each to explain how to build a plane for a simulator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7QoKlWa18&list=PL6SN_l6b6s2xiq1nK78Zy97gqJSpT97Tx

so at the end is something about personality. There is nothing imposible to do.

Here I leave the scripts to make it work with the program Autohotkey. This comes from Run8, but I tried in Trainz 2009 with my throttle quadrant hotas warthog and works. I only had to change the keys to the default Trainz ones. There are things that don't work well, in other trains.. and the extrange behaviour of dynamic brakes is different than reality so the scripts has to be changed, but all can download and it is not necesary lot of knowledge of programming to do something.
I will try to change it and make it work in differnet trains types. Run8 is only for american ones and only 3 type of locos... If I am success, then I will publish my changes, but maybe another one can share his knowledge with us, and can make our joysticks to work. In Run8 is a delicious and I tried a friend Traindriver, but I preffer my warthog as it is more robust and strong components.

Here are the scripts and instructions to make it work. Someone made it for all and that was really nice:
https://www.thedepotserver.com/forums/threads/joystick-to-keypresses-using-autohotkey.3661/

if you don't own the warthog or even you do, maybe you have to configure your axis and buttons in the script. It is very easy. In mine I use the grey little axis for reverser, the right throttle axis for power, and the left throttle for dynamic braking (something cannot be done in tutorial trains in Trainz). The side buttons are for Train brake, air bail out, and the china hat (red button) for activating the dynamic braking.
As said, in the tutorials all is working and I don't use any mouse or keyboard. Trainz don't have keys for gradual apply on train brake and dynamic brake so it will put all or nothing... but this is something to start with.

Thanks!

...a good method of control is via the numeric keypad...
I tend to agree. But even the keyboard isn't as precise as using the mouse on the sliders. For example, the Independent Brake, The keyboard action is only a toggle, where as with the mouse, we have full control on how much we use.

...this method is better than a joystick in my opinion.
This is where I would disagree. If Trainz had support for game controllers, in my case a throttle lever which does not have a center detent, I should get better control without the bulky increments of a keyboard.

I think traditional joysticks that center themselves would be silly. But if someone wants to hold the joystick the entire time, that's up to them. Also, some HOTAS have throttles. That would work fine. Some also have twisting Joysticks which would work great for turning the view. I'm now thinking of putting the zoom on one of my unused levers.

...so you pass the script and I can see what I can do
Shoot me an email to trainz(at)anadrac.com. I've done some clean up, getting rid of unused code. Your joystick# may need to be changed. I didn't make that changeable by the user.

EDIT: I've added user joystick selection

Last edited:
Still looks like you are trying to drive a locomotive with an aereoplane controller :hehe:

When you could have just used KB commands::

Q Brake Release
A Brake Application
Z Lap
W Accelerate
S Stop
X De-Acelerate
F Forward
R Reverse
V Sand
B Bell
H Horn
L Light
Ctrl D De-couple

I want my 45:00 min back

Last edited:
Still looks like you are trying to drive a locomotive with an aereoplane controller :hehe:

And we are all driving locomotives (trains, cars, ships, etc...) with pijama and slippers in a house chair. If people are happy driving trains with keyboard, it is good. With Raildriver good (tell me what is like Raildriver to real ES44 levers), or whatever they like.
Those axis are better than raildriver axis because they have more run space, so more precise, specially for train or independent brakes. With my Hotas Warthog throttle quadrant is a delicious drive a train when it works.
But keyboard will be always 1 or 0. not float values (you can simulate them, but not the same as an axis)

Don't waste your breath. We all know that most people have to simulate the controls of their favorite engine unless they're one of the few who have built a replica of or even have a real engine cab with all of the controls functional and interfaced with Trainz (not as easy as it looks). I've had the chance to try a real diesel control stand tied into Trainz. Just because computers have keyboards doesn't mean they are the only way to do it. If you can get multi-axis joy-sticks to interface with Trainz, more power to you.

I have a CH Products throttle quadrant with six lever axis, would be so nice to have it working to control the analogue sliders...especially on a steam train.
One major advantage of that, which hasn't been pointed out, is that it would allow complete control of the train without ever having to look at the HUD. The physical location of the throttle levers would give you all the info you need. Seems strange to me that controller support is lacking.

Back