Frustration

bigbrix

Hi
I have just lost three days work on my new layout!
When Driver/Surveyor opens one gets the routes. When one searches for the name of ones route, they appear at the foot of the screen in rather unnecessarily large squares, running across the screen. After some days of use I discovered that the most recent version of my route was the first on the left of the screen. Caution makes me regularly save my work, so each day when I open the program, I get a screenful of old savings. I delete the old savings, save for the most recent three. Have been doing this successfully for just over a week, but today - I have just found that the oldest version was the first on the left. Disaster! Really choked. Not a happy bunny!
Is there not a way that one can see in a list form, like Tane, the different versions of ones route?
Brian

Hi Brian

When opening Driver\Surveyor look for "Sort by A-Z" in the lower right hand corner. Click on the down arrow and select "Latest Modified". This will place your latest version on the left. I too had a similar problem and I used this method to correct it. You have to make this selection each time you open Surveyor/Driver.

Joe

Hi,
I can only find the routes I did not delete - ie the ones I did not want - having deleted the ones I did want because for some reason the order was changed in the display!
Brian

Hi Joe,
Thanks for that - wish I'd known that earlier!
Will bear it in mind.
Cheers
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
May still be a copy in your backup folders, everything that gets deleted goes in the backup folder, depending on your settings.

Hi Malc,
Are you referring to Windows backup, or to a specific TRS2019 folder?
If TRS2019, could you state the location of it please?
Brian

Launch Trainz, DO NOT start Trainz.
Click Trainz Settings
Click the Install Tab
Select and copy all text in the Local data folder box
Click the ... button to the right
If you're not taken to the proper folder (not knowing what operating system your using), for Win7, click on the Navigation bar and paste the text.
Double-click the Backups folder

Many thanks for your help - what a palaver - now got to work out what all the different files are and how to make use of the one I think I want.
I'll get there! (somewhere anyway)
Cheers
Brian
Looks like I'm on a hiding to nothing!
I am sure I need a .cdp file to be able to load my lost route, but a search of the backup folder does not reveal any such files.
Oh well....

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help - what a palaver - now got to work out what all the different files are and how to make use of the one I think I want.
I'll get there! (somewhere anyway)
Cheers
Brian
Looks like I'm on a hiding to nothing!
I am sure I need a .cdp file to be able to load my lost route, but a search of the backup folder does not reveal any such files.
Oh well....

If you can find the correct folder, may have a weird name such as 268pldfj, you should be able to find the right one from the time date modified of the folder. So long as it has a config.txt, you can import the folder, suggest though save what you have got to cdp first in case it isn't the right one!

Import folder is File > Import Content Folder.

If you are confronted with a tzarc file or chump file and no config, see here for tools that may help! http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Vvmm's_Trainz_Tools

Last edited:
Just spent half an hour trying to find that! Only thing I didn't try on the search was restore Content! duhhh.

Have no fear though, this doesn't always work as intended. I find using the TZarc viewer much easier because I can then save the expanded archive elsewhere such as in my content back ups.

I would just like to thank everyone who has tried to help.
I have managed to salvage some work, though for some strange reason, the last saving could not be found?
The wiki reference to restore content did not match my system!
It refers to the .tzarc files having a suffix of ".xxxxx"
Mine do not - no suffix at all.
Also, each time and date had saved 2 .tzarc files - a largish and a smallish. (630k and 38k).
I used the larger of the two and managed to restore some of my lost work. (only took me all afternoon!)
Once again - many thanks to all.
Cheers
Brian

Back