Help to identify this track / short draw distance

mdvee

Hi all - see pics, one is distant to show my issue, the other is a close up of a "problem child" track. My settings are at max draw, and normally track draws to the horizon. This particular track is in a couple of routes and does not paint out but stops about 1/2 screen as you see. Kind of aggravating when you are rolling in cab mode and the track looks like someone is laying it down ahead of the moving loco LOL.

Any thoughts? My system is fairly strong: Dell XPS 8700, Win 7 Pro, Core i7 / 4770 3.4 GHz- 16 gig ram, EVGA 1070Ti, two - 2 TB hard drives and I run sliders pretty hot without stuttering or problems normally. This particular track does this no matter what I try so far.

Thanks as always! Mike

view_media_post

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Mike - have you tried identifying the track using the 'Get Track (G)' tool in Surveyor, Edit mode?
Select the tool from the Tracks (F4) overlay and then choose the 'Get Track' tool on the left-hand side.
It should then reveal the name of the track in the text box above, whilst showing the track in the preview pane to the right.

The track above obviously has LOD issues with it disappearing at intermediate distances.
Suggest use the Bulk asset replacement tool to substitute another, similar (or better) looking track type that does not disappear so readily.

I'd recommend one of the new PBR procedural track-types developed exclusively for TRS19.

Last edited:
To identify the track, open the route in Surveyor. Then do this...

Get Track 01.jpg

Then click on the track, get the name. You can use Bulk Replace after that to change the track that has a better LOD. Someone else on the Forum will be able to explain 'LOD' but that is what you are experiencing. A track with a better LOD most likely wont do that.

OK, "LOD" >> "Level of Detail". I found that!

I will definitely try that bulk replace idea, sounds like the ticket. Thanks for the quick responses!

Really having fun with this despite the occasional hiccups, its all a learning curve.

Mike

OK tried a few different replacement tracks including the new procedural ones. Same issue. Very strange, I'll have to tinker around with the settings saved in with the route perhaps. FWIW this particular route is "Baltimore to Connellsville & West Mega Route" from the DLC.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks again!

Maybe the settings?

Yes, everything is set to max. Route settings are as well, not sure what the deal is or if "route" settings are even separate from the main program. Either way, sliders all to the right. Runs good, just the track issue.

Thanks!

Download tracks by user Samplaire - 4.6 build for TRS19. Never had that problem with them, unlike others.
Graeme

I also use the LRW Track which doesn't have that problem and as in Harold's Screenshot has the matching ballast ground texture.

The ground in the picture is "<kuid2:368725:55007:2> Protrack NSWGR clean stone ballast to ground transition" with the brown LRW track.

There isn't any significant "quilting".

trs19_66.jpg

Harold

Last edited:
Thanks all!! I'll keep tinkering here... Here is what that track in my first post is - LRW Track, Wood, Flatbottom, Bro

Now I ponder if the problem is the program painting the ballast THEN the rails / ties next? I plan to start a test route to see what happens on ballast vs no ballast, or track with ballast already added...

A question for Harold - (be gentle, I'm just getting back into this lol)

When I look at that last pic, it appears this track is doing the same thing looking out just past where the boxcar is spotted. Yes / no?

Thanks!

Last edited:
When I look at that last pic, it appears this track is doing the same thing looking out just past where the boxcar is spotted. Yes / no?
All the procedural track has that LOD problem. Some are worse than others.

The PBR tracks are better.

pbr_track1.jpg

But the choice of track is limited and there is no US style wood tie track.

pbr_track2.jpg

Also isn't a direct replacement from the older procedural track. It tends to get funky.

Harold

One last thing I notice then I guess it's time to put this thread to rest.

If I (In driver roaming mode or surveyor) follow the track line forward, the track of course is rendered. Now once rendered, as I move backwards the track remains.

But the initial rendering is as we see in Harold's pic and my original post.

Mike

Elsoko's NSWGR Protrack track is really good. Found I had to set "Shader Quality" to Low to prevent green ties.

green_ties2.jpg

Harold

Elsoko's NSWGR Protrack track is really good. Found I had to set "Shader Quality" to Low to prevent green ties.

Harold
That's the reason I changed to Samplaires PBR tracks.

A good selection of his PBR tracks with a variety of ballast and matching ballast textures are on DLS.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
There isn't a spiked/baseplate US style PBR track.

Adding PBR track to a legacy route can get messy.

Harold

There isn't a spiked/baseplate US style PBR track.

Adding PBR track to a legacy route can get messy.

Harold
Agree with that, but if you take the time to upgrade all of the textures to PBR as well, its not a problem.
I start in CM and drag all of the textures in the route to be upgraded to a picklist first, then in surveyor dragging from the picklist to the bulk replace tool the texture to be upgraded. It saves not being able to "get asset" with the bulk replace tool.
cheers
Graeme

I agree that there isn't any great North American track yet and wish I knew how to go about creating some, but I did reskin a bit of the LRW track and create my own bad track using the textures, from Jointed Rail's spur track, but used the LRW rusty track as the base. It isn't perfect, but the thinner rails on the sandy ballast, or lack of, is a bit better than perfect track for this.

There is still the problem of tie spacing and thin rails though, which don't match our very heavy mainline track.

2018-08-27 215920.jpg

Back