Short on disk space, it's about to get worse.

wilts747

It has been reported in The Register that from Windows 10 update 1903 which is currently being tested under the Insider program Windows intends to earmark potentially another 7GB of our storage space for itself in the form of reserved storage. A link to the article is attached but it seems that we are all using to many of our computer resources for ourselves . . . . Unforgivable. Peter

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/08/windows_10_reserved_storage/

Please, less of the 'old' fogies but you are quite right, I'm one of them. Unfortunately it is suggested that banks will be employing something very similar later this year in regards of on-line shopping security. When you spend greater than the equivalent of 30 Euros or small sums total 30 Euros you will need an authorisation code sent by your bank in the form of a text/email to complete the transaction. Irrespective of whether you have email/text etc. slow internet, lack of mobile signal, your email client telling you your email is a spam and refusing to open it etc. to me make what appear all good stuff on paper totally impractical in the real world. Peter

when windows 10 1903 is released, remember you can hold off the upgrade for along time, it's something i do every release until i know it's stable. as far as space i don't concern myself with that. ssd pricing has come down alot. i have 7 ssd's drives, 4 are 500gb and 2 are 250gb in raid 0 as my boot drive, and one 4tb storage drive. you can get a 480 gb ssd for about 60 usd on amazon with read and write speeds like samsung.these days fooor trainz, i would recommend at least a 480gb boot ssd and a 480 ssd drive for trainz only.my 250 gb boot drive are both nvme and trainz 19 is on a 500gb nvme drive for loading. as far ass passwords go, alot of apps already require no passwords to login, such as logging into a tablet, it sends a link to my smart phone and i have to just accept it.i think it's a bad idea for windows 10 so soon, thats why i suggest the hold on windows 10 1903 when its released.

If one is short on disc space, and your PC is full of Junk, they should take all photos, music, videos, documents, downloads ... etc ... Off your PC, and put them on an external hard drive ... and uninstall built-in video gaming programs like: Wild Tangent"

I knew there was a really good reason to stay with using Windows 7. As for smartphones I'm still using an ancient Nokia cellphone that's so old you have wind it up with a key.

I absolutely HATE Windows10, I absolutely LOATH Windows10 ... Bad, weak, grayed out, small type icons and pale font colors ... My Windows10 PC takes 45 seconds to load a webpage, and takes minutes on end, to load a YouTube video ... Microsoft should be totally ashamed of releasing Windows10

As whitburncolliery points out, Windows 10 users upgrading to Version 1903 via a normal update won't lose that 7Gb disk space reclamation by the OS unless they do a clean-install.
New multi-terabyte disks are so cheap and plentiful these days that 7Gb is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
cascaderailroad - Yes, we've noticed that you are not terribly fond of Windows 10. However, some of us love it and think that it is the best OS Microsoft have brought out so far to date.
I think if you upgraded your hardware at some point, you'd begin to like it more too.

Last edited:
I use Windows for one thing and one thing only and that is to run Trainz, I use Linux to do everything else but that's not an issue there are lots of things in life which are effectively 'Catch 22' and where you can't have one without putting up with the other. My gripe, and I think that of many other, is not that Windows from a User perspective is particularly bad, but that in many respects we have lost control of our own systems to Microsoft. Whether we have indirectly been coerced to upgrade due to the inability of Microsoft to make their OS security, either from an earlier version of Windows admittedly at no additional cost, but which at some point we did purchase either as a package or as part of a system, or have purchased retail spending our hard earned cash, we are stuck with this bloated beast which other than tinkering round the edges have such little if any control over. I will accept that with some knowledge and an even greater degree of in depth fiddling a fair bit can be uninstalled or disabled but only until the next upgrade when again Microsoft patches its shortfall and resets all that fiddling believing it know what I want better the I do myself. I think it was written about Microsoft Word that over 90% of work was being done with less than 10% of the program. I also think the same probable applies to Windows today and as a gamer I'd be happy to dump that other 90%.

That is not to say in respect of updates Linux is little better, there can be a few weekly, but the user does have control of when and what is installed and there is seldom the need to reboot the system afterwards. Unfortunately while TS2010 and earlier versions of Trainz run well, TR12 has a few issues and T:ANE/TRS19 are both beyond hope when it comes to Linux. So in the interest of Trainz we tolerate Windows and Microsoft's intrusion but we do get to enjoy Trainz which can't all be bad. Peter

Bottom line is that, right now, TRS2019 and T:ANE both run demonstrably better on 'out of the box' Windows 10 than ANY other OS.
(Runs even better when you've configured it properly and removed a lot of the unwanted bloat & fluff).

Last edited:
If you read the details, Microsoft is essentially moving the system temporary files to a reserved system partition instead of keeping them in with the other data. This is really no different than a scratch partition, which used to be setup for servers or even the swap and tmp partitions used on Linux, Solaris, and other Unix systems.

The amount of space used is about 7GB or a bit more depending upon how many applications installed. The purpose is to ensure that the system always has adequate space for performance.

My concern is malware which could infect this partition and hide there wreaking havoc on the user if it's difficult to find and eradicate. Hopefully the antivirus applications will be aware of this partition and scan it along with other drives even if it's hidden.

Back