TRS2019 lighting?

PortLineParker

UK Route Builder
Evening all,

As a newbie to TRS2019 (bought it last night, so far very impressed!) I was wondering if anyone could help? When I look East, the ground is 'light' and when I turn to look West, the ground is 'dark', as seen in the image below. Any ideas as to what may be causing it?
kmm0b5c.jpg

Also, does anyone have a guide to adjust the lighting? It's veeeery bright..
Cheers,

PLP

Still the fact though so many of these threads are daily, weekly now about the lighting. I been saying since Oct the default lighting is not at a good place and requires too much user tweaking in its default state. The more I see these threads, the more it just reinforces my stance on it.

Still the fact though so many of these threads are daily, weekly now about the lighting. I been saying since Oct the default lighting is not at a good place and requires too much user tweaking in its default state. The more I see these threads, the more it just reinforces my stance on it.
The default lighting can be tweaked in the Environment area however, I still find it unsatisfactory. It seems that my UK routes currently have to look drab. Whatever happened to the lush green fields. I want to add more yellow but, other than monkeying around with the green and blue ... that option is not available. I am back working in TANE at the present. Regards. Colin.

Yes, there are some threads regarding lighting, but remember, people are still on a learning curve with TRS19.
The default lighting was changed a couple of times during the beta, early ones were quite good (just ask Harold). However people complained that it wasn't suitable and we got what we have now.
Dark drab lighting is an over compensation to have billboard trees and ground cover, which unfortunately are persisted with, look somewhat solid. Run a normal environment and they're mostly transparent.
If you don't like the environment or weather in a built in session - edit the session, change it, save it as 'My Whatever' and go run it.
There is so much to learn about in Trainz and adjusting environments is a good place to start as any.
Graeme

The problem with the lighting is that everyone expects it to be what they want for their scenes and that is different from what others want. Do we set it so that, by default, Colin has his perfect lush English green fields but, as a result, my semi-desert arid scenes look dull and flat?

As others have pointed out, you set the lighting/weather controls to what you want for your chosen scene and season. What we do lack (and I am assured it is "in the pipeline") is a simple means of saving those settings so that they can be easily loaded into other sessions.

The problem with the lighting is that everyone expects it to be what they want for their scenes and that is different from what others want. Do we set it so that, by default, Colin has his perfect lush English green fields but, as a result, my semi-desert arid scenes look dull and flat?

As others have pointed out, you set the lighting/weather controls to what you want for your chosen scene and season. What we do lack (and I am assured it is "in the pipeline") is a simple means of saving those settings so that they can be easily loaded into other sessions.
I do think that you should have your semi-desert colours, as I should have my lush green fields. I really don't care whether it is by default, but a train sim that is reaching a quality level fast approaching reality should be able to offer the colour mixing potential to satisfy both of us. Regards. Colin.

Driver_Col -
but a train sim that is reaching a quality level fast approaching reality should be able to offer the colour mixing potential to satisfy both of us.

… and it does. The capacity and capability within the Environmental control settings are there. Until recently, many people have simply accepted whatever atmospherics the sessions came with and never bothered to learn how to change them.
Now the near photo-realism Colin mentions above demands it!

Study the wiki and review the tutorials; Invest some time to learn how to properly modify the Post Processing settings manually and master these environmental editing controls, so that you can more thoroughly enjoy the new environmental conditions and atmospherics.

Last edited:
Driver_Col -

… and it does. The capacity and capability within the Environmental control settings are there. Until recently, many people have simply accepted whatever atmospherics the sessions came with and never bothered to learn how to change them.
Now the near photo-realism Colin mentions above demands it!

Study the wiki and review the tutorials; Invest some time to learn how to properly modify the Post Processing settings manually and master these environmental editing controls, so that you can more thoroughly enjoy the new environmental conditions and atmospherics.
I thought I had done all that? I went into Environment, and played around with blue,green and red settings in each of the 3 areas impacted; Found out how to synch the movements of all 3 colours if necessary; played with waves, fog and wind .... so what have I missed out on? My desire is to add a little more yellow to the mix to get my grass, but playing with green and blue can only get you so far. I thought it could be resolved by changing textures as they appear to be presented rather differently than they did in TANE ... but no success to date. Guidance, or a link to whatever I clearly have not read would be appreciated. Regards. Colin.

The skybox also has three points to adjust for each clock dot, upper centre and lower.
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
One thing I've found to be really helpful in applying new settings to a session using the environmental controls is to choose a scene that includes most of the elements that you wish to impact.
Then experiment with it until it looks real:
That is: Select a camera viewpoint that includes both near and far distant scenery and including a body of water; PBR procedural track and close-up, detailed locomotive(s) and trailing consist; Nearby 3D vegetation and PBR grasses/ clutter; Distant fields, forests and hills/ mountains.
Other trackside objects at intermediate distances, such as relay boxes, signals, yard buildings, etc. all contribute to the 'actors in the scene' that you wish to spotlight and assess for lighting effects.
Pay particular attention to shadows to avoid dramatic contrast in light and darkness. In real life, most shadows are quite subtle and show good detail in shaded areas.
Look in particular at the bogies on the locomotive, and in the shadows beneath any nearby trees to ensure that they are not blacked out but rather show well-defined detail of their components/ undergrowth and leaf litter base.
Whether or not HDR or High Dynamic Range is available on your output device/ monitor(s), focus on achieving good tonal balance and broad spectrum gradation of both colour hues and shades of grey between deep black and bright white. (Pays to start off with a properly calibrated monitor).

Since you will be primarily assessing a static scene whilst you manipulate these controls, you can afford to increase the performance setting controls towards their maximum or Ultra values during this 'atmospheric conditioning' process.
The exceptions to the maxed settings that I'd suggest is for the Post Processing controls. To avoid the preset visual distortions of the Ultra and High PP settings, set this to Low, or better still, adjust the values using the Manual settings available in the Launcher, Developer menu.
When complete, you can revert to your preferred settings for dynamic gameplay/ moving objects, etc. whilst retaining the benefits of the optimal tuning achieved using the maxed out settings.
This allows you to perfect the shadows settings, in particular.

One rather counterintuitive discovery that many of us have made that is quite different from the T:ANE environment editing suite setup, is to deliberately set the Sun Color Preview pane to a uniform, dark-ish grey using the RGB control dials, whilst having higher, (whiter) RGB values for the Ambient Color Preview pane. This will give your richer colors, more realistic ambient lighting and more detailed shadows.
Do all of this with multiple control-point 'dots' applied to different times on the clock and preferably with the fog set to OFF between the hours of 9am and 5pm during this lighting adjustment phase.
Try to avoid the extremes (i.e. all the way up or down) on the new and much-welcomed brightness slider to the right of the familiar preview panes - even at midday.
Finally, regarding water, assess this by looking at a body of water in your scene after ensuring that the performance setting is set to 'Ultra'.
I personally find setting these initially to a uniform very dark grey (all RGB dials wound right back) looks more realistic than almost any other setting for deeper water. You can then add a tad of blue, green, aqua or brown to taste to fit your scenario location, but you'll find that even with the minimised RGB settings, water bodies will faithfully reflect the sky colours and clouds very nicely. Shallow water colours are best influenced by the texture applied beneath in any event... Water settings are best assessed using either the 'Calm', 'Glassy' or 'Slow Rippled' initial presets.
It helps to be an experienced photographer or landscape painter in assessing the lighting environment at different times of day and season, since many of the colour & lighting theory principles can be applied to your Trainz environment.
But these same principles can still be 'discovered', learned and applied by novices after investing a suitable amount of time to experimentation and methodical testing of the lighting controls and a scene of your own making in TRS 2019.

Getting it right can be soooo rewarding!

Last edited:
Is the "Wild West". For those of you old to remember, NTSC had something call "color bars", and you would see it before transmissions would start, or very late at night. Everything was referenced to them, or TV networks at let's say NY, would transmit it so all the stations would set up accordingly. Why this basic principle is not implemented in computer games? Say a color reference for mid day where temperature, saturation and hue is properly established. Now, you'll have the color controls to do whatever you would like at any time of day or night. I know we have it this way, but at some point you should be able to go back to defaults. Problem is today, those defaults are wrong. Where is the gamma control? And something called "differential gain"? To me, the colors, as implemented in Trainz are set by using the eye of somebody or the consensus of a few that decide that "it looks good like that" (*). By that, you get a long thread like this one that ultimately will go nowhere, because there is no standard set, and each one of us sees colors a little bit different. That is my grain of salt.
(*) We assume that the creators are using monitors professionally calibrated, and that color patterns are rigorously matched to the colors depicted by the game. Do they?

The "fly in the ointment" there is the differences between different video displays and monitors. I have two monitors, both by the same manufacturer, and two Nvidia GTX cards (different models) and I can easily spot colour and contrast differences between them both.

The midday environment in New York is different to the midday environment in Alice Springs or Kalgoorlie, so that won't work.
All of the extra controls, including gamma, hue, saturation, vibrant etc are in the manual post processing tools. Learn them, use them, combined with environment settings it gives you full control.
cheers
Graeme

I have NEVER EVER needed to fiddle about with environment settings (dont mean setting of VGA) in any game so far during last 20 years of my gaming (maybe except gamma setting). Why the heck am I forced to do that and furthermore by such complicated time consuming way?

I have NEVER EVER needed to fiddle about with environment settings ..... Why the heck am I forced to do that and furthermore by such complicated time consuming way?

How many of those games have allowed you to alter the environmental settings? How many have allowed you to create "worlds" in vastly different locations from, say, alpine environments in mid-winter to deserts in the heat of summer? Or do they all assume that the lighting conditions and the sky are always identical everywhere?

As for the "complicated time consuming way", well yes it is, but I prefer that to an alternative that restricts you to just a limited number of preset "environments" that someone else thinks are "OK". One of the many things that I like about Trainz is that it gives you the ability to create worlds that are not limited in imagination and scope - heck (pardon the French) there are layouts on the DLS set on Marz and (I believe) there may even be one in Antarctica.

Back