TurfFX failing

horacefithers

I've been using TurfFX with success (other than confusion about what all the parameters do...), however I watch the tutorial on the N3V games YouTube channel "long seed grass" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04As0QFFPQ and got a message in red at the bottom of the TurfFX dialog box that seemed to say I was overflowing some kind of internal table.

My "route" currently has 109 squares in it, so I tried again with a single square test route. This time everything worked OK.

So I tried again with the big route and monkeyed with the settings a bit. I managed to get the red messages to go away although there was an orange message. I clicked "accept" and that seemed to work also.

I'm running TRS 2019 on an AMD 2950x cpu with 64gb of ram and a 11gb gpu card so I would hope I'm not out of system memory yet...

Is there a magic configuration file setting somewhere that would increase the size of the table in question?

Regards,
H. Fithers

This stuff looks like you will graduate, after a complete understanding of the processes, with the credentials to get a job in Hollywood (special effects) or a gaming studio. As with many Wiki items it leaves a trail of questions. Personally, I do not want to get into graphics programming. Fiddling with shaders in a flight simulator was as far as I wanted to go. I am looking for a high level tool that exploits the most common elements of the stuff.

As with many Wiki items it leaves a trail of questions.

Such as? What's difficult about the idea that you have limited storage, so either you paint with a detail brush but limited variation, or a broad brush with greater variation, or something in between?

The subtleties of TRS19 over T:ANE are without argument very impressive but I wonder if in achieving such perfection of detail particularly for the builders, is the plot being lost in respect of trains and railroads. I describe T:ANE to those unfamiliar with Trainz as 3D modelling but I think TRS19 has gone beyond that and is tending towards graphic design which may not be a bad thing should I want to design textures. Personally I think many like myself would prefer the half way house where we have the advantages of the likes of TurfFX but returned to the pick list to use them and get back to enjoying trains. Peter

Last edited:
I agree with wilts747. I've always thought Trainz, since TS2012 is more a program/application for computer geeks and software programmers and now, apparently, graphic designers (I don't have TRS2019), rather than a medium for train and railway modellers and enthusiasts. Trainz has definitely "lost its way" over the recent iterations! Just one of the many reasons why I'm reluctant to invest in TRS2019.

Rob.

I agree with wilts747. I've always thought Trainz, since TS2012 is more a program/application for computer geeks and software programmers and now, apparently, graphic designers (I don't have TRS2019), rather than a medium for train and railway modellers and enthusiasts. Trainz has definitely "lost its way" over the recent iterations! Just one of the many reasons why I'm reluctant to invest in TRS2019.

Rob.

You can still run Trainz as you always have with better lighting, after setting it up, and don't need to invest in a master's degree in Computer Sciences.

Back