(TS12) Tracks with elevated roadbed?

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
I am modeling a route that calls for several instances of track upon relatively tall (~1 to 3m) ballast roadbed.
Attempting to model this with raised terrain and ballast textures does not work very well as far too wide a swath of terrain is raised.
For many years I have used a "track with embankment" asset with the embankment reskinned to match the ballast texture.
While this is a fairly decent fix, the model of the asset is beginning to show its age, and the embankment messes up the ties/sleepers at switches and junctions.

Are any Surveyors out there aware of a newer "track with embankment" asset they would recommend, or do you have an alternate method of modeling elevated ballast roadbeds?

There is a "FMA embankment" with several widths. Once set, lay the track over it I think it is a built in spline asset.

I am modeling a route that calls for several instances of track upon relatively tall (~1 to 3m) ballast roadbed.
Attempting to model this with raised terrain and ballast textures does not work very well as far too wide a swath of terrain is raised.
For many years I have used a "track with embankment" asset with the embankment reskinned to match the ballast texture.
While this is a fairly decent fix, the model of the asset is beginning to show its age, and the embankment messes up the ties/sleepers at switches and junctions.

Are any Surveyors out there aware of a newer "track with embankment" asset they would recommend, or do you have an alternate method of modeling elevated ballast roadbeds?

toxa batoxa has a wide range of such. Search Tb embankment on the DLS, e.g. <kuid:19691:100925> which I'm using on the Fond du Lac Branch. It's 5 meters deep. These are road splines so are relatively easy to work with around existing track. Looks good.

:B~)

For a couple of procedures that can help produce more realistic embankments, see my answer to a similiar question in this thread:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...Route-Creators&p=1728353&posted=1#post1728353

I replaced the track asset on track-embankment assets with others that I find suitable. For one asset, I replaced the track with an invisible track so I can keep the base embankment, which is a double-tracked asset, and use a single track on it by laying down the single track where I want it.

2018-10-21 004705.jpg

Shown below is an ancient Track-wall asset. I replaced the track here as well and use this at this location for elevated sidings for a nearby delivery dock location on the upper level of a factory. (I saw one of these once about 30 years ago and remembered it).

2018-10-21 005310.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have the kuid for the original assets, but I'm not at my Trainzing computer to get them.

... For many years I have used a "track with embankment" asset with the embankment reskinned to match the ballast texture. While this is a fairly decent fix, the model of the asset is beginning to show its age, and the embankment messes up the ties/sleepers at switches and junctions.

I've made my own versions over the years. The one I use most is a 3'ng spline track with a 4m high "fill" below it. Like you I don't like using the smooth track tool because it is just cuts too wide path - even for sg track. But manually forming a narrower one takes a lot of time and is rather frustrating.

I'm not sure what you find objectionable about the track with embankment or "fill" (as I call it) in way of turnouts. Spline track always has problems at turnouts unless 2 things happen: 1) the grade (using fixed vertex heights) thru both legs is the same and 2) the track centerline length is the same on both legs from the junction vertex to the next one at or beyond the frog. If not then the ties and ballast top won't line up to look somewhat like the tie arrgt should. You get an obvious overlap of the splines - this is primarily due to grade mismatch between the splines. The spline length effects the alignment of ties between the splines. This happens with or without the "fill". But with some effort the appearance can be improved.

Here's some pics of the track I made years ago for TRS04/06 and some simple procedural track I was testing out when TANE was in development. The PT was made using the same ballast and fill mesh as the old spline track. The main thing for me is to keep the grades and arc lengths thru the turnout the same for both legs:

NG-3%27-with-4m-high-fill-below-it.-Procedural-track-on-right-made-from-an-old-spline-track-shown-on-the-left..jpg

In the pic above the PT is on the right and the old spline track on the left. They look almost identical except for the frog, guard rails and switch blades generated automatically by the PT. Not the most appealing PT to be sure - there are no separate ties or 3d tie splines - it's all textured on the mesh just like the old versions. I think the track grade is 1.5% thru out in this setup. If I use this PT in way of turnouts to get auto placement of frog, check rail and blades I still have to follow the same guidance since without the 3d ties I have to line them up manually when I make the junction.

NG-3%27-track-with-4m-fill-below-it---old-spline-track-on-right-procedural-track-made-from-it-on-the-left.jpg

In this pic the PT is on the left and the spline track is on the right. As you can see I do my best to make the ties and ballast top align thru the turnout. Track grade is 0.75% grade thru the turnouts in this setup.

Bob Pearson

Back