Slow TV: The Indian Pacifice tonight (6th Jan) on Australian TV (SBS)

FootplatePhil

Trainz Tragic since 2002
As per title, SBS latest in "Slow TV".

There are no ad breaks, no dialogue and minimal on-screen graphics.
We get a rotating cast of camera angles: from the side of the train, from above the train, from ahead of the train and from the cab.

The Indian Pacific 3-hour version is on SBS tonight at 7.30, the all-day version Saturday, January 12 on SBS Viceland

Looks like it might be good !!

Do you mean The Ghan ? We've had that on BBC (British TV). Have watched it in bits, not sure I could watch straight through!

The Ghan crosses the continent from South to North (or North to South , depending on your perspective) from Adelaide to Darwin through some admittedly unexciting country.

The Indian Pacific crosses the continent from East to West (or West to East). It is Australia's most "iconic" train journey. This new show is the follow up to the Ghan show you watched on BBC TV. I'm currently recording the 3 hrs version to my Topfield, so I can watch it without interruption. At 12 hours for the premium issue next Saturday there is a reason it's called 'slow TV'.

BTW: I also like watching 5 day test cricket, the original 'slow TV'.

And just for the record, I'm retired :).

Last edited:
I'm recording it to Phil to watch at my leisure,as, like you I'm retired :p. I have also done the IP in real life back in 1996 :hehe:.

Got it on in the background while on internet/trainz etc.
My mate Ish6 would love this while recuperating in bed at home after is big operation.

Just think do a mile of this with track and scenery one train duplicate the lot x 3000 and you have a route!
That's how much the outback changes.

They lost me when they claimed Broken Hill was founded on a discovery of iron ore. After that I couldn't believe any of the caption information.

I was bored when I made this trip in the 1970's and I was even more bored watching it now. Luckily, Emily Blunt in "The Girl on the Train" was showing on another channel so I watched that instead.

I watched the 3 hour SBS program of the Indian Pacific last night; and quite frankly, I didn't find it boring at all. The camera changed many times from the interior of the train to aerial drone footage, which I thought was interesting and gave a good overview of the landscape.

I do agree with SailorDan, it wasn't iron ore. Broken Hill was founded on Silver and Lead, which proved to be the richest and largest of its kind in the world. It was just one statement in the video.

For anyone interested in creating a layout that includes 3 Capital cities, plus 2 major mining towns,... Kalgoorlie and Broken Hill, plus other features such as Parkes, where NASA satelite tracking takes place, the salt lakes, the vineyards of South Australia, the Nullabor Plain which has the longest straight stretch of track in the world, then to scale the Blue Mountains complete with a dozen or more rail tunnels, then this would be a challenge for a decent route builder. The scenery changes constantly (and sure there are several flat areas - but that is to be expected across the Nullabor) so it would take some texture skills to cover it well.

I've now booked a trip on the Indian Pacific 'Gold Class' for my wife and I next April. However, we'll be starting out from Sydney instead and finishing in Perth.

Of course the best view is in the drivers cab, but I'm happy to sit with a 'coldie' in the lounge car instead. I'll think of you guys while I'm doing it.

Cheers,
Roy

I have done the Indian Pacific, east to west. Spent all my time in the 1st class lounge drinking with a bunch of young Canadians. Got off in Kalgoorlie to stretch the legs and almost missed the train! By comparison, the TV show was boring as.....
A timeslot filler during non ratings TV period. And cheap to produce. A bonus for SBS, our foreign language TV broadcasting service.
Maybe that is why there was no dialogue?

I have done the Indian Pacific, east to west. Spent all my time in the 1st class lounge drinking with a bunch of young Canadians. Got off in Kalgoorlie to stretch the legs and almost missed the train! By comparison, the TV show was boring as.....
A timeslot filler during non ratings TV period. And cheap to produce. A bonus for SBS, our foreign language TV broadcasting service.
Maybe that is why there was no dialogue?

I have not been lucky enough to have the opportunity to catch the Indian Pacific, although I have caught many other 'slow trains'. It's is on my bucket list. I did not find the show "as boring as". In contrast, 20 over cricket.....

If you are looking for high budget exciting commercial TV, perhaps I could suggest "Border Patrol".

Last edited:
I think SBS missed an opportunity. I have travelled on the Ghan and the Indian Pacific. I had the same conductor each time, an ex London Bobby. He had many interesting stories to tell, as did many other passengers. Some interaction with life on the train would have added interest.

Some interaction with life on the train would have added interest.
You've missed the point. It's Slow TV. No interviews, no dialogue, no side excursions. Documentaries on the train have been done. This is a different concept.

I ended up watching about the last half of the full version first (as it went to air on Saturday), then watching the edited highlights (the 3 hr version), which I had recorded, on Sunday. I think the longer version worked much better (strangely hypnotic) - I wish I had recorded that. There were too many captions (with errors) per slow moment in the shorter version, with very few of the captions having railway significance. In the end the 3 hr version didn't really work. It got caught somewhere between trying to be a travelogue, and trying to be "slow".

Last edited:
Back