Thanks for the latest newsletter, but I just want the DVD

FootplatePhil

Trainz Tragic since 2002
Great to hear in the latest news letter that ...

• TRS19 is now the most popular version of Trainz (based upon concurrent users).
  • TRS19 is the fastest selling version of Trainz ever.

As one who has purchased every CD/DVD release on day 1, in the days when that was the only way you could get it, I am feeling slightly left out.

Wish NV3 had an option for 'download now, and we will send the DVD later'. If I have missed something please point me to where I can select that option in the shop.

re post #1 FootplatePhil

I agree with Phil, please, NV3 make the DVD available soonest, my money is waiting!.

Cheers, evilcrow

I'd happily buy the CD/DVD even it is considered an extra licence. Some of us in the impoverished Internet zone like a backup. :)

I'd also be interested in a DVD version for backup purposes although not sure how it will work with the subscription method.

Shane

You don't want a DVD until the game is done.

coaster.jpg

My early TANE DVD's make good coasters. They replaced my AOL ones.

A long way to go before you want to invest in DVDs, too many revisions to download.

Harold

You don't want a DVD until the game is done.

coaster.jpg

My early TANE DVD's make good coasters. They replaced my AOL ones.

A long way to go before you want to invest in DVDs, too many revisions to download.

Harold

TANE isn't done yet, how come you have the DVD's? :)

TANE isn't done yet, how come you have the DVD's? :)
Bought TANE back in 2015 on DVD and then had to pay $25 to update the game with the professional level white DVDs.

All that was obsolete even before I got the DVDs.

Ya wanna wait until 2019 is fully done, probably after the next version is halfway finished.

Just sayin'
Harold

Bought TANE back in 2015 on DVD and then had to pay $25 to update the game with the professional level white DVDs.

All that was obsolete even before I got the DVDs.

Ya wanna wait until 2019 is fully done, probably after the next version is halfway finished.

Just sayin'
Harold

So every time they release a patch, you have to buy new DVD's?

I too want the dvd, but not just any kind - the dvd version that offers the DRM free. Right now you'll get the dvd part, but it won't be DRM free... (As I did ask n3v this).

Just remember, the dvd will only come with the core game files, not the built-in items, so you'll still be downloading about 12gb..

Peace

With the size the game has currently reached its probably more viable to just buy a box of 3.0 USB sticks. Its faster, its cheaper and filling the USB sticks themselfes will also be easier than getting DVDs printed.
Plus, including the remaining buildin content and getting a 32 GB or 64 GB stick will not cost a lot more either than a small USB stick.

Greets, Mika

I too want the dvd, but not just any kind - the dvd version that offers the DRM free. Right now you'll get the dvd part, but it won't be DRM free... (As I did ask n3v this).

Just remember, the dvd will only come with the core game files, not the built-in items, so you'll still be downloading about 12gb..

Peace

Interesting point. In the past the DVD's have been DRM free. I was just assuming the same would be the case with this release.

You can order and download TRS19 now and then order the "Shipping Only - TRS19" to order a DVD version when it becomes available.

For clarity on what a "Shipping Only" DVD version will give you:
- a DVD box with cover slip
- 2 x DVDs inside that will install the base content set (~12.5GB)

You will then need to download the remaining 5 additional routes (~14GB). We are investigating a tool to install the additional items off disk so that a separate DVD for the extra routes can be offered as well.

Also, note that the installer disk is no "safer" than a manually backed up copy of the install folder.

You can order and download TRS19 now and then order the "Shipping Only - TRS19" to order a DVD version when it becomes available.

For clarity on what a "Shipping Only" DVD version will give you:
- a DVD box with cover slip
- 2 x DVDs inside that will install the base content set (~12.5GB)

You will then need to download the remaining 5 additional routes (~14GB). We are investigating a tool to install the additional items off disk so that a separate DVD for the extra routes can be offered as well.

Also, note that the installer disk is no "safer" than a manually backed up copy of the install folder.

A question that might simply:
Why not make the entire game DRM free with all of the built-ins using USB sticks? I mean, 23GB / 64GB sticks aren't that expensive really, as you can pick them up for like $10 USD or $10-22 for 64GB...

Peace

You will then need to download the remaining 5 additional routes (~14GB).

There is no need to download the additional routes if you don't want them, or if you don't have the download allowance (which is likely why you ordered the DVD version in the first place).

Technically true. But the base installer off the DVD or web (large as it is) doesn’t include most of the routes you will already have paid for as Tony himself noted. IMO it’s a game engine without much ready to run game at that point.

The chosen DRM and distribution mechanisms don’t let you get those remaining parts without the DLS right now, though maybe that could change in future.

I guess I’m saying that I’d pay for a larger download of a complete and DRM free edition of the game if I could.

diego

Thanks Tony for your reply. I am still not clear about a couple of points....

1. If I download now, is the "Shipping Only" version included in the price, and if so where do I specify that's what I want (I couldn't see an option to do this in the shop). Or maybe there will be a price differential for shipping ?
2. Is the initial DVD version going to be DRM free?

I don't really care if not all included routes are on the DVD. I am happy to download those I am interested in. But DRM free is more important.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony for your reply. I am still not clear about a couple of points....

1. If I download now, is the "Shipping Only" version included in the price, and if so where do I specify that's what I want (I couldn't see an option to do this in the shop).
2. Is the initial DVD version going to be DRM free?

I don't really care if not all included routes are on the DVD. I am happy to download those I am interested in. But DRM free is more important.

According to the FAQ TS2019 will need to "phone home" about once a month in order to keep running. There has been no indication that this will be any different with the DVD version. I don't know about you, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll stick to the DRM-free TANE SP3 which actually works (finally!) and which I can re-install at any time without worrying about whether there's still an N3V for it to phone home to. Risking years of work put into routes just for some questionable eye-candy doesn't seem like much of a trade-off.

--Lamont

According to the FAQ TS2019 will need to "phone home" about once a month in order to keep running. There has been no indication that this will be any different with the DVD version. I don't know about you, but this is a deal breaker for me. I'll stick to the DRM-free TANE SP3 which actually works (finally!) and which I can re-install at any time without worrying about whether there's still an N3V for it to phone home to. Risking years of work put into routes just for some questionable eye-candy doesn't seem like much of a trade-off.

--Lamont

The fact that this DRM worry is still a thing in 2019, and some of you really think N3V will just shut the light off, and your hours are gone for life. Keep on dreaming folks. Even if they shut the lights off, the law passed recently allows you to crack the software yourself if support is no longer offered to you or DRM server shuts off.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/drm-copyright-infringement

There is literally 0 worry. Yes DRM is still scummy at points. Yes DRM protects the business. Yes DRM is a joke in 2019 to crackers. Yes DRM is here, you either take it, or you sit back and live in 2006 still.

But worrying the lights go off and bye bye your choo choos? no.

Even if they shut the lights off, the law passed recently allows you to crack the software yourself if support is no longer offered to you or DRM server shuts off.

1. I watched what happen to Auran.

2. call me a cynic... ''a law was passed", and that's supposed to assuage my worry? (not directed at NV3, but an observation how little a deterrent laws often are. Stealing is illegal, but I lock my front door.)

3. crack the software myself? :confused:

4. there's no harm in trying (by which I mean, asking for a DRM free version)

Last edited:
And said law is only for 1 country.
So all of the owners not based in the USA could still be breaking the law of their own country by cracking the DRM.

To be of any use for Trainz, it would need to be an Australian law and one that forced the company directors to remove the DRM under offences in the criminal law code to be of any use to all of N3V games users.

Back