Water on multiple levels

horacefithers

I looked for info on this but didn't see anything useful. I apologize if it's out there and I just didn't find it...

I'm trying to model a creek that is flowing downhill. It's made up of a series of pools each of which has a 'dam' made of a number of boulders causing the water up stream from the dam to be (more or less) level.

The problem is, when I bring two different water elevations near to each other they tend to snap together (or on one occasion even seemed to cause a change in water level across the entire route!)

Is this possible? If so, what are the magic incantations to make it happen?

I'm using Trainz 2019 with Windows 10 64bits

Thanks in advance,

HF

This has been the case since Tane. You can no longer have water next to each other on different levels. This makes dams and locks less useable because you get a slope of 3m high in the water.

It (used to be) that if you had a gap (a narrow path of deleted water grids) in between 2 different water(s) (viewable in grid mode), that they would not snap together

While on the subject of water You set everything to your satisfaction In this particular case I have long stretches of coast line, and you take pains to make sure that every area of the coast has the same water level This is not a problem because when you adjust water level here, it adjust everywhere. Now you close the route or session and come back several days later after several saves and regular running. And then you discover that where a baseboard joints, here is a "step" on the water: The water level on that baseboard is not the same as on this one! You correct it by adjusting levels and they snap right away, but then you have to "re-level" the water and all of the baseboards follow faithfully I hope it is not happening only to me. How I fixed? I set a small boat on the water so I can see the waterline of the hull. When levels change, you look there and see what section is the one that changed and adjust accordingly. But is a small pain, or something more to do when it happens. Mind you, it may happen at any place, at random and for apparently no reason.

Ironically I actually find the water snapping to be useful in creating a river that changes height, so long as you disguise the steps and ensure any gaps are closed by pulling up terrain. Much better than uniform splines.

I looked for info on this but didn't see anything useful. I apologize if it's out there and I just didn't find it...

I'm trying to model a creek that is flowing downhill. It's made up of a series of pools each of which has a 'dam' made of a number of boulders causing the water up stream from the dam to be (more or less) level.

The problem is, when I bring two different water elevations near to each other they tend to snap together (or on one occasion even seemed to cause a change in water level across the entire route!)

Is this possible? If so, what are the magic incantations to make it happen?

I'm using Trainz 2019 with Windows 10 64bits

Thanks in advance,

HF

I ran across this thread by accident but found it interesting.

The solution to this, alebeit it not perfect perhaps, might be to create a new 3D PBR Water texture and use this in streams and other places the traditional water won't work. Just a thought.

Since I am in the process of creating a whole lot of new 3D PBR textures I might give this a try as a few of my routes which have streams would need this to complement the other 2D textures I am replacing with 3D PBR ones as part of my upgrading of my old routes to new TRS2019 standard.

No promises though....

Bob

I got interested in this project and just did it. I have just uploaded to the DLS the following:

<kuid:439337:101969> PBR White Water 1

It should be available in 48 hours or less for download.

In my test it looks great on my layouts where I tested it. It shows you what you can do with the new 3D PBR textures. Let me know what you think of it. I might consider doing more water textures if this works well.

Bob

I just released this new texture on the DLS and it is now available for download.

PBR White Water 1
KUID:439337:101969
kuid_439337_101969.jpg

As always the 2D thumbnail does not do the 3D textures justice at all but gives you at least a basic idea.

To see this in action on an example route in the screenshot below you will see the existing 2D "ALCreek1" ground texture used on my "Loops" route:

PBR-Whitewater-1-Example-screenshot-1.jpg

In this next screenshot you will see that I have replaced that texture with my new 3D "PBR White Water 1" ground texture which is now on the DLS. What a difference! BTW I did nothing but a bulk replacement and I did no editing or tweaking.

PBR-Whitewater-1-Example-screenshot-2.jpg

I think this might possible help with the problem you put forth here.

Bob

I've just been running Middleton for laptops in TANE and teh canal seems fne to me, different levels of water with locks.

Cheerio John

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but may come in handy sometime.

In Topology and when some water is added to the route, have "Adjust Water height" highlighted.
Hold the shift key and click+hold the left mouse button down on a section of water and the water height in a small section can then be increased in height or lowered with mouse movement forward and back.
Just repeat to make a bigger area.

Last edited:
My apologies if you know this already, but water height works the same way as in TANE. You can have different adjacent heights. Just go into grid mode so that all water edges are visible (they are not visible to their full extent in terrain mode) and make sure you have a strip of unwatered ground between any two areas of water. The heights will adjust separately as long as the edges do not meet.

ingha

Back