General Query for Route Creators

Prince271088

Morning everyone,

I'm just generally curious about the methods used, although I imagine the answer is probably simple, for creating a smooth but narrow slope? Normally to create a slope for a road or track I'd use the smooth spline tool but that also affects a large amount of baseboard around what I want to raise or drop. Is there any way to decrease the width of the baseboard the tool affects so that it literally just covers the two tracks and maybe a very limited clearance either side? If yes, please could someone explain how.

If the answer is no, I'm wondering what methods the more experienced route builders use to achieve narrow slopes etc. Specifically I was thinking of a one or two track approach to a tunnel or a bridge for example.

Morning everyone,

I'm just generally curious about the methods used, although I imagine the answer is probably simple, for creating a smooth but narrow slope? Normally to create a slope for a road or track I'd use the smooth spline tool but that also affects a large amount of baseboard around what I want to raise or drop. Is there any way to decrease the width of the baseboard the tool affects so that it literally just covers the two tracks and maybe a very limited clearance either side? If yes, please could someone explain how.

If the answer is no, I'm wondering what methods the more experienced route builders use to achieve narrow slopes etc. Specifically I was thinking of a one or two track approach to a tunnel or a bridge for example.

First, I ensure that I'm working on a 5-meter grid by altering the resolution in the Terrain tab. This is essential.

Second, if you look at physical railroads (and roads), their elevations are generally broader than we think. In some cases this is because they have reduced two-track configurations to one-track; in others because they are planning ahead. A broader bank is more stable. Narrow banks often have some sort of retaining structure - riprap or bulkheads. Class A roads generally have wider banks than short lines.

To narrow an over-wide berm I have had to go along it and manually reduce the elevation at the fringe. This is tiresome and prone to error but practice improves performance.

There are also some good-looking trackage embankment splines on the DLS you might investigate. Some have the entire bank, others are one sided and you use two per elevation, which allows adjusting the width to a degree.

:B~)

I usually set the grid to 5m lay a single track and then smooth,then lay the second track
Then use the height tool to raise / lower either side as req'd
Sometimes I will use a bit of spline wall,embankment or retaining wall if req'd mainly on turns to fill any drops under the track
Tracks with embankments are handy too if the embankment is what suits you lower it under your track until the embankment track can't be seen
At the end to the spline just turn it in under the track to hide the gap, just be careful the two don't join when placing
Either hold the key down of put your splines on another layer

Morning everyone,

Here are a couple of more ideas for you to try, which I personally use, and I know to produce a more realistic result than just using the "Smooth Spline Height Tool". Be warned that both techniques require considerable time input, but are worth the effort.

As mentioned, use 5m grid beneath the track.

For double tracks, I lay an invisible track between the running tracks, making sure that it is aligned with the running tracks vertically as well as accurately between them. Using the Smooth Spline Height Tool ( ONCE ! ) on this extra track produces an embankment that fits two tracks on top of it and looks about right. Then delete the extra track - carefully.

For single tracks, or any other embankment that doesn't look quite right, you can lay temporary short lengths of track perpindicular to the running track. Then by adjusting the location and height of each temporary track's endpoints, and then using the Straightening tool, you can create an array of temporary tracks that reflect the slope of the terrain you want either side of the running track. Use the Smooth Spline Height Tool on these temporary tracks an watch the terrain take shape beneath them. Once you become adept at this procedure you get quite fast at it, and can use it for not only embankments, but more realistic trenches as well.

HTH

Last edited:
I use a combination of a 5 meter grid, trimming, and retaining walls.

2018-08-27 220046.jpg

Not seen is a wall to the left "supporting" a road. To the right is a retaining wall in places to support the branch that connects to a factory.

Yes there are branch lines like this where I live that see one freight car a month if they're lucky to have service at all. The weeds are about a meter high in some place, obviously not modeled here. I found, at the time, that the grass splines didn't look right. I'll go back and add grass someday when I fell ambitious. Right now I'm working farther east on a much bigger expansion.

2018-08-27 215920.jpg

Back