Why does baseboard spin/rotate when moving in Surveyor?

1611mac

- - . -
When in surveyor... when I right click to move the baseboard it almost always not only centers to my click spot, the baseboard also "spins" or "rotates." I find this very difficult to deal with.

Is there a way to stop this spin? I simply want the board to "scroll" left, right, forward, backward keeping the same directional view (similar to walk mode).

In Trainz settings / Interface Settings, change camera behavior from rotation to panning

wow! great thanks!

That slider should NOT be slider. It should be two mutually exclusive selection boxes with the correct labels. When I saw a slider labeled "rotation" I assumed it changed the speed of rotation. That is poor design.

Thanks very very much.

I thank martinvk for that tip too. It works just as well with the Roaming camera when running a train.
And I agree with 1611mac about the poorly designed interface for Camera Behavior (as well as Compass Movement).
Where's a User's Guide when you need one?:eek:

Last edited:
SailorDan,
The Wiki has tremendous information in it but I find it extremely difficult to navigate or find something quickly. Do you have any tips on how to find things quickly? I did a search in the Wiki on Interface Settings and the page you reference (http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/i...mpass_movement) does not appear in the first page of search results. The Wiki does not have a listing for Interface Settings in its index. How did you find that page?

I honestly don't think the Wiki is like a User's Guide, in the traditional sense, of walking a user through basic steps. And having an index that lists Interface Settings.

Thank you,
Al

How did you find that page?

Start at https://support.trainzportal.com/in...ew/138/0/where-do-i-find-the-manual-for-trs19 Then -
Alternatively you can access the TRS19 Help Wiki here.

See System Menu for further information.
See Interface Settings for further information.
3 Compass movement

The index is at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Category:TRS19 You won't find an entry for compass movement as it is such a small topic. It is usually necessary to 'go up' one level to find the correct topic name.

I went to this page, searched for Interface Settings (not for anything about cameras) and the results did not come up with the correct link for Interface Settings.

Then -Alternatively you can access the TRS19 Help Wiki here.

I know how to open the Wiki.

See System Menu for further information.

OK, but See System Menu is in tiny print.

See Interface Settings for further information.
OK. But See Interface Settings is in tiny print.
3 Compass movement

The index is at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Category:TRS19 You won't find an entry for compass movement as it is such a small topic. It is usually necessary to 'go up' one level to find the correct topic name.

That is not the Index. That is the Categories Page and there is nothing on that page about Interface Settings.

Are you suggesting that beginning Trainz users go through this rigamarole? There has to be an easier way.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited:
wow! great thanks!

That slider should NOT be slider. It should be two mutually exclusive selection boxes with the correct labels. When I saw a slider labeled "rotation" I assumed it changed the speed of rotation. That is poor design.

Thanks very very much.

There's nothing wrong with the design at all. It works great just the way it is thank you.

SailorDan,
You are right about "Contributing is more fun than complaining." I'm going to start putting together my version of a TRS19 User's Guide, most of which will be copy/pasted from the Wiki, but in a format that I think will be better. I will keep everyone posted in this forum.

Thank you for giving me the push to get me contributing.
-Al

Since the Wiki is user maintained, there might have been an overall design when it was started but now it just seems like a free-for-all where everyone appears to add where and what they feel like. Sure, a lot of information in there but unless it can be found when needed, rather useless. Having a fully moderated Wiki might bring some order to the mess but kind of defeats the idea of a Wiki.

Since the Wiki is user maintained, there might have been an overall design when it was started but now it just seems like a free-for-all where everyone appears to add where and what they feel like. Sure, a lot of information in there but unless it can be found when needed, rather useless. Having a fully moderated Wiki might bring some order to the mess but kind of defeats the idea of a Wiki.

That perfectly describes the Web. When it first started it was often described as the worlds largest library but all its books were scattered at random on the floor. In the early days you had to move through it and pick up things at random, because there was no other way to get anything. What changed was the arrival of search engines - they did not change the chaotic structure of the Web or imposed new rules on Web creators but only added the ability to search for what you wanted, still not perfectly but better than a random walk.

What the Trainz Wiki needs is a better search engine, one that does not change its current chaotic structure or impose rules on how users can contribute.

My opinion only.

So, what we need is: a comprehensive index so that every major word can be found; and an idea index where every major concept has all the relevant parts grouped together.

Then if you know you are looking for "attached-track" you'll get every page that contains it. This would be the current search function. Are all key words indexed?
If you're looking at the Launcher screen and wonder what the parts do, a picture with each area linked to the relevant page would be handy. Can that be automated?

Yes, the Wiki does need a much better search engine, but even that would not make it into a User's Guide. The Wiki, IMO, is more geared to Intermediate and Advanced Users.

I believe some sort of User's Guide, aimed at Beginner and Intermediates, is what is more urgently needed and I have already started creating one. I will post it when it's in beta condition. I'm happy to send Alpha versions to anyone who is interested. I welcome feedback.

-Al

Last edited:
1611mac,
At the very beginning of this thread you wanted to know how to stop the Surveyor from rotating. The answer in this thread was that the control for this is "In Trainz settings / Interface Settings, change camera behavior from rotation to panning."

Now, to answer your question about "what's wrong with using the wiki search tool?", try searching the Wiki for Interface Settings, or for Rotation, or for Panning. I rest my case. :p

-Al

Ha... you could be right. I just used Google Advanced Search and it returned this so evidently the Wiki search isn't too with it....:)
results.jpg

Actually... the Wiki search WILL find "panning".... Enter "panning" into the search.. when it returns saying "No Results" click on "Everything" link (in the light grey box) and one return will show "Panning" under "Interface Settings."

"Rotation" will give four results if "Everything" is clicked.

Back