Rough Handling

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Well this is a new message to me! .....
Constructing a session for a driver to go fro A to B [Southern Region - Brighton Line]

Driver instructions placed and off to drive the route. About 8 mins into driving [AI] a message shows 'rough handling' consist slows then stops and refuses to go any further. [Driver Strike perhaps]

Switch to manual drive and off we go, track seems fine. Switch back to AI and nope, stops again. Never thought I was handling the driver in a rough manner;)

Any clues out there?

[edit] Problem solved seems a junction had missing power point switch... interesting message none-the-less.

Cheers,
Val.

Last edited:
It's not related to the junction error and is related to irregularities in the driving, too quick a slow down or speed up. I ignore the messages because no matter what I do, I can't seem to rid them when driving in DCC mode with the keyboard, and I don't feel like using the mouse to fiddle with the speed knob. Then again I don't do as much driving as I do route building so I don't use CAB mode where the message is probably less prevalent.

Yup - even if I drive like I'm piloting a crate of fresh eggs, I still get those rough handling messages when I use the keyboard 'W' and 'X' keys in Cab mode.
They need to be toned down to around 0.5% for each keypress, I think. (Then we'll all grizzle about the program causing wrist and repetitive strain injuries!)
You can actually achieve smaller acceleration and deceleration increments using the mouse, but that becomes rather tedious in practice.
Fortunately there aren't too many built-in session scenarios where you are penalised for such rough handling, so the best strategy is simply to IGNORE!

There might be a minor wording bug there. I usually slam on the stop key/icon to stop my train as quickly as possible and the message in that area says "Excessive Acceleration"!

There might be a minor wording bug there. I usually slam on the stop key/icon to stop my train as quickly as possible and the message in that area says "Excessive Acceleration"!

Ha! As us engineers would say, "Your acceleration was in the negative direction!". Technically there is no "deaceleration" as the change of velocity vector is just in the negative direction.

So, the message, in reality, is correct; albeit counter intuitive for most people.

Take care,

I thought they should have used the word "deceleration", but from an engineering/physics perspective, I guess you're right.

My problem is when using AI drivers rough handling messages end up causing trains to initially slow to 22mph and then in some cases stop and reverse onto the wrong track. As you can imagine this causes total chaos. Why can’t rough driving be either toned down or removed when using AI drivers. I’ve noticed even driving an AI driver controlled train over a track marker that I have put on it’s route causes a rough handling message although not so far caused the more serious problems. Seems quite ridiculous that trains being run by the programme cause rough handling problems.

Yes I noticed that too. I don't think I've ever had a 'rough handling' message going over a trackmark before in earlier versions of TS2019.

The good news is that messages has disappeared in the latest beta.

9pzytn8.gif

Ha! As us engineers would say, "Your acceleration was in the negative direction!". Technically there is no "deaceleration" as the change of velocity vector is just in the negative direction.

So, the message, in reality, is correct; albeit counter intuitive for most people.

Take care,

Deceleration is a proper word. I was an aerospace engineer back in the 80's and built a lot of guidance systems. We used accelerometers to measure acceleration and deceleration. I never, ever heard the term "acceleration in the negative direction". If you want to use that term, then the warning message should be "Excessive negative acceleration".

Back