Multi-Player Surveyor

HSSRAIL

January 1, 2018

Does anyone know when Multi-Player Surveyor might be available to the Trainz Community at Large?

I have installed TRS 2019 and Migrated my O&W route to that platform

I have not heard anything official since the initial "announcement". Members of the Trainz Dev Group were given early and very buggy test versions so perhaps a look through that forum might give some clues. I doubt very much that it will appear in any future SP/HF update to TRS19 but concede that I could be wrong.

My apologies if I get this wrong, but am I to understand that Trainz 2019 does not have a multi player platform? If so, it's just me and the AI? Didn't Trainz have a multi player route in the past? The Mojave Run, wasn't it?

- RR70

Tony mentioned something somewhere here in the forums and I think the newsletter regarding work being done on the multiplayer surveyor so it's still in the works.

I was one of the Alpha testers and it was all proof of concept and very, very buggy back then. A lot has changed Trainz wise since then so hopefully we'll see something come up soon(tm) regarding the status of the project/product add-on.

This is different from multiplayer where multiple users can get together and drive a route.

Tony mentioned something somewhere here in the forums and I think the newsletter regarding work being done on the multiplayer surveyor so it's still in the works.

I was one of the Alpha testers and it was all proof of concept and very, very buggy back then. A lot has changed Trainz wise since then so hopefully we'll see something come up soon(tm) regarding the status of the project/product add-on.

This is different from multiplayer where multiple users can get together and drive a route.

So there were lots of bugs in the multi player route? Is that why Trainz abandoned it (if I recall reading somewhere about it, to the best of my memory)? I recall watching multi players on the Mojave Route on YouTube - talking through message windows. You should see some of the conversations on the Run 8 videos between multi players. Pretty "loud" or "turbulent" in some areas.

- RR70

Hi RR70
Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 (along with Trainz: A New Era and Trainz Simulator 12) includes full support for Multiplayer within Driver :)

Most (if not all, I don't currently have all installed to check sorry) of the built-in routes for TRS19 includes a pre-made multiplayer session to get you started, and additional sessions can be downloaded from the DLS as well.

Multiplayer Surveyor, however, is still in development and has not yet been released.

Regards

So there were lots of bugs in the multi player route? Is that why Trainz abandoned it (if I recall reading somewhere about it, to the best of my memory)? I recall watching multi players on the Mojave Route on YouTube - talking through message windows. You should see some of the conversations on the Run 8 videos between multi players. Pretty "loud" or "turbulent" in some areas.

- RR70

N3V didn't abandon MP so much as they just have not added any new features to speak of since TS12. It remains a bare bones system that allows multiple users to control locomotives across the Internet. Communication is through the builtin chat client. There is no dispatcher, CTC system or train movement management system. If you have a dedicated group of users that want to do the required planning for realistic operations then it can be fun. Much like a model railroad operating session in the old days.

William

N3V didn't abandon MP so much as they just have not added any new features to speak of since TS12. It remains a bare bones system that allows multiple users to control locomotives across the Internet. Communication is through the builtin chat client. There is no dispatcher, CTC system or train movement management system. If you have a dedicated group of users that want to do the required planning for realistic operations then it can be fun. Much like a model railroad operating session in the old days.

William

Does anyone know if N3V is working on something like that? To me - that's a huge component missing from Trainz multiplayer.

Hi RR70

Multiplayer Surveyor, however, is still in development and has not yet been released.

Regards

Is there any kind of projected time frame? I'm very much interesting in a 'group build' route.

Hi RR70
Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 (along with Trainz: A New Era and Trainz Simulator 12) includes full support for Multiplayer within Driver :)

Most (if not all, I don't currently have all installed to check sorry) of the built-in routes for TRS19 includes a pre-made multiplayer session to get you started, and additional sessions can be downloaded from the DLS as well.

Regards

Would be cool to have an actual dialogue with other players and a dispatcher - as in like talking on a radio verbally instead of through typing. Does Trainz plan to do that anytime soon?

- RR70

Would be cool to have an actual dialogue with other players and a dispatcher - as in like talking on a radio verbally instead of through typing. Does Trainz plan to do that anytime soon?

- RR70

This is best done through other systems designed specifically for the purpose such as Skype, Discord etc.

Is there any kind of projected time frame? I'm very much interesting in a 'group build' route.

We're about to start some external testing so it's getting closer.

Last edited:
This is best done through other systems designed specifically for the purpose such as Skype, Discord etc.

We're about to start some external testing so it's getting closer.

Ok, maybe I was misunderstood here. I guess what I meant was a Session while I'm driving say from one terminal to another terminal on a long route, it's a 6hr drive and I'm talking to a Dispatcher who makes up trains and has a diagram of all the signals on that route. An example of this scenario is on a Run8 YouTube video on the Mojave route. Link: https://youtu.be/s4-S6H_mDRg

- RR70

Ok, maybe I was misunderstood here. I guess what I meant was a Session while I'm driving say from one terminal to another terminal on a long route, it's a 6hr drive and I'm talking to a Dispatcher who makes up trains and has a diagram of all the signals on that route. An example of this scenario is on a Run8 YouTube video on the Mojave route. Link: https://youtu.be/s4-S6H_mDRg

- RR70

I agree. This is something that is significantly missing from this game.

Last edited:
Back