RTX 2060 looks to be an affordable beast for Trainz upgraders

PC_Ace

Hauling Heavy Pixels
This about-to-be-launched new card from nVidia looks to be a highly desirable upgrade option for many of you rocking pre-10-series GTX cards.
At a proposed US$349, and sporting 1920 CUDA cores (same as the venerable GTX 1070) plus 30 new Ray Tracing and 240 Tensor cores, together with 6Gb of fast GDDR6 VRAM, this card promises gaming performance approaching that of a GTX 1080!

https://videocardz.com/79505/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-pricing-and-performance-leaked

Officially launched on Jan 7th, these cards should be available in stores after the 15th January, though likely to be scarce and above MRP for quite a while after that.
Should end up being one of 2019's top-selling cards.

Will likely be great for running TRS19 at high visual quality and performance settings level at 1920 by 1080 or even 2560 by 1440 pixels resolution!

1080Ti is still a faster card by a considerable margin. But this new card is quite competitive with the GTX 1070Ti for about the same price.
If you already have a 1070Ti you wouldn't want to swap, but if you're upgrading from say, a GTX 950 or 970, then I would suggest go for the RTX 2060 instead of the 1070Ti because of the new DLSS and Ray Tracing features and similar price/performance.

If Nvidia's retailers are use the extortionate pricing they used for the 20XX cards so far released, a 1070TI would probably be cheaper, Ray Tracing apparently doesn't work very well on the couple of games that supposedly have it yet. If Trainz was to get raytracing? I'm guessing it might require a new Game engine and no backwards compatibility.

Anyone with a 1070TI, 1080 or 1080TI or even a 980TI would IMO be better waiting for the next generation of Nvidia cards, whenever that happens as well as keeping an eye on what AMD might get up to.

A more conservative view on the leak https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-2060-leaked-benchmarks,38116.html

I think even a GTX 980 owner would only see a marginal gain in performance. I think we are at the point where for most users a GTX 1060 even 3 gigs is good enough.

Cheerio John

the 20 series cards are a complete waste of money unless you play games that have that specific technology, i have a 1080ti and it compares to the 2080, the 2080ti is faster but not worth the 70 percent price increase, i am waiting on an actual faster card. the 20 series was a complete let down for 90 percent of games.

the 20 series cards are a complete waste of money unless you play games that have that specific technology, i have a 1080ti and it compares to the 2080, the 2080ti is faster but not worth the 70 percent price increase, i am waiting on an actual faster card. the 20 series was a complete let down for 90 percent of games.

I agree. The 70% or more price increase for a marginal performance gain is not worth the ROI. If this was a substantial performance difference overall, then it would be a worthy upgrade. I too are waiting to see what plays out with the hardware. My old CPU, an i7-5930 is getting a bit old now, but still works well. By the time I upgrade, the G-something 4000 series video cards will be out, and whatever was a gazillion bucks now will be in the bargain bin.

At the moment I'm quite pleased with my very stable and cool running GTX1080Ti I picked up a year or so ago.

I think John makes some very valid points, quiet, cool running, stable, reliable has a lot more going for it than a few extra fps particularly when those fps come at a premium. Peter

Great input. Supports the "latest device" is rarely worth early adoption on a price performance basis. 1070 or 1080 look to be reasonable unless you have a lot of cash and were never poor. Being poor can really change your perspective on valuation.

My decision is to simply upgrade the video card. Then, if that is not satisfactory build another large Cooler Master all steel tower. Two of those roaring away, unheard due to Bose headphones, would be impressive. I miss those giant fans from the Univac-I. That is probably why I need Bose headphones. Thanks to all!

Finally, the independent RTX 2060 reviews are in... they're mostly extremely favourable - check them out and don't let the 'facts get in the way of your prejudices'. :)

https://videocardz.com/79627/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-review-roundup

Some of the video reviews give you a quick overview for those who don't like reading through voluminous technical reviews (TL;DR). :)

I quite like the Tom's Hardware (informed) viewpoint:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-ray-tracing-turing,5960.html

Last edited:
I think, and I feel I am probably correct, when I say most Trainz veterans have very little interest in actually RUNNING trainz. Most of us long time users are much more interested in either, 1. Creating Content (which includes reskinning), or, 2. Creating Routes in Surveyor. Therefore, if we have a "good enough" video card that allows us to indulge ourselves in these pastimes, then why would we want to invest in a more expensive card?

I occasionally do get in the engineer's seat and drive around my route, or take the conductor's chair and just go along for the ride, but after a while, I get bored and close down the game and find something more creative or interesting to do.

Nah, I don't think I'll buy another video card just because it's out there. I'm good.

I am with Dave on that, I only drive to test my routes, but, my eldest son is a crazy gamer and 3d graphics maker and just has to have the biggest and best of everything for his PC.
He recently donated a GTX1050Ti to me which I use on my older PC with an i3 processor, the difference was amazing compared to the previous 750Ti that I had in it.
It copes so well that I use it every day so that I don't wear out my bigger PC :hehe:

Sometimes you do like your children :)

I stand by my original statement that these new RTX 2060 cards are definitely worth considering for all those people rocking PRE-10-series Pascal cards who need to upgrade.
As you will see from this lengthy and detailed technical review from TechPowerUp, this new MSI-flavoured version of the RTX 2060 outperforms many venerable 10-series cards in most important respects - including gaming performance that
exceeded GTX 1080 and Vega 64 cards in their tests - whilst scoring very high in overall price/performance and value for money.

Check it out...

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2060_Gaming_Z/

Even so, these 2060 cards are not the best-of-the-best - For that you need one of its fellow Turing stablemates of the RTX Titan, RTX 2080Ti, RTX 2080 and RTX 2070 variety.

Last edited:
Back