Colour saturation and transparency in TRS2019 vs T:ANE

In these comparison screenshots, the Environmental RGB colours for all sky positions and ambient/sun settings are pure white (i.e. as bright as they can be). My post-processing in both programs has been set at "High", but with trees and scenery sliders bumped up to Ultra.

TRS2019 seems to be inherently darker and the colours rather drab compared to T:ANE. One can argue about matters of taste, but how can I make TRS2019 brighter and a bit more vibrant if I wanted to?

Also, semi-transparent glass (m.notex texture) is noticeably less transparent in TRS2019 than it is in T:ANE. That's an undesirable outcome. Is there anything I can do to increase the transparency?

TANE
pGg1CEj.jpg

TRS2019
mSVQJKG.jpg

T:ANE
SKoalLE.jpg

TRS2019
VTE0uwo.jpg

Put your sunglasses on and press this button..

Reset-Diurnal-Colour-Data.jpg

Or / and adjust the slider above the word thick when you select one of the green clock dots.

For the windows try anti-aliasing at x8 setting.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you. That slider made all the difference. A pity it doesn't have a more noticeable label, I had missed it completely.

My anti-aliasing was at 4x, but 8x didn't improve (reduce) the window opacity to any significant degree, unfortunately.

Dinorius - If you set the Sunlight pane on the RGB controls to a uniform dark grey (Use the Shift key whilst clicking on the dials with your mouse pointer to move all the dials at once) you'll find that you get much better control over the harsh direct lighting and dense shadows evident in your 2nd screenshot above.
By adding more ambient lighting to your scene, you'll see more subtle shadows and greater texture detail and colour fidelity.
You can easily achieve the same or better results than T:ANE in the same scene because you now have even more tools (including the brightness slider that many have overlooked) available in TRS19.

Last edited:
Dinorius - If you set the Sunlight pane on the RGB controls to a uniform dark grey (Use the Shift key whilst clicking on the dials with your mouse pointer to move all the dials at once) you'll find that you get much better control over the harsh direct lighting and dense shadows evident in your 2nd screenshot above.
By adding more ambient lighting to your scene, you'll see more subtle shadows and greater texture detail and colour fidelity.
You can easily achieve the same or better results than T:ANE in the same scene because you now have even more tools (including the brightness slider that many have overlooked) available in TRS19.

More things I didn't know.

Much better everything now. Thank you again.

Thanks for the info. I'm always trying to dull saturation so it doesn't feel like I'm playing on Thomas and Friends set. :hehe:

Came on to ask a few questions, I just installed 2019...
So far everything runs well but bright and it seems I have my solutions now....
Dave =)

With all due respect, pware, I consider that to be "reference" material. How would I know to look for that if I had a question about color saturation?
The mediaWiki is a great resource of information if you know where to look. A more traditional user's guide, on the other hand, would be preferable. :)
I suggest that N3V use the mediaWiki to create a user's guide, with a good index (for example- with an item for color saturation). An online version would be fine.

Al

Some sort of in game help would also be invaluable, shouldn't have to keep Alt-Tabbing out to a web page.

BTW, appreciate the tip about the Shift key and the RGB diallers. I didn't know that one - again where an intelligent programme would pop up a little "Did You Know", help bubble if it sensed you were trying to do something!

…..Also, semi-transparent glass (m.notex texture) is noticeably less transparent in TRS2019 than it is in T:ANE. That's an undesirable outcome. Is there anything I can do to increase the transparency?

Sorry to bump an old thread but did anybody find a solution to the decrease in transparency in TRS19 compared to TANE?

John,

I haven’t seen any solutions to the transparency problem since posting that thread. It just looks like TRS2019 does not translate the properties of legacy materials faithfully. I haven’t seen any promises from N3V of a patch that will address the issue.

There has been some discussion (complaint) about how the new m.glass material used in TRS2019 is not an easy or direct substitute for legacy materials like m.notex and m.tbumptex that had transparency and semi-transparency capabilities.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...oute-to-TRS19-standards&p=1748155#post1748155

~ Deane

Last edited:
For IM's I just change the value of the opacity to 45 or thereabouts in max, works for me with m.notex.

For IM's I just change the value of the opacity to 45 or thereabouts in max, works for me with m.notex.

That’s fine if you’re a creator making something new at a TRS2019 build, but does not address the problem which is; legacy items looking good in their version of Trainz but looking like crap in TRS2019.

As it stands, regular users can do nothing about it. Creators can offer updates with the transparency adjusted specifically for TRS2019 as you describe, but should they really need to do this for every one of their previous assets that have a transparent or semi-transparent material? It’s a big imposition and really not practical.

That’s fine if you’re a creator making something new at a TRS2019 build, but does not address the problem which is; legacy items looking good in their version of Trainz but looking like crap in TRS2019.

As it stands, regular users can do nothing about it. Creators can offer updates with the transparency adjusted specifically for TRS2019 as you describe, but should they really need to do this for every one of their previous assets that have a transparent or semi-transparent material? It’s a big imposition and really not practical.

The same issue here. Compare TANE and TRS19 image below:

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/5562/kcxlml9h_jpg.htm

I'm dreaming from a simple slider to increase/decrease saturation and brightness in all; for a standard user who just wants to use Trainz! I'm already aware of http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools .

BTW I'm such a regular user. From my point of view I have to choose from either time consuming 'repairing' the routes/sessions ported from TANE, if even possible, or waiting if the author will update the whole routes/sessions.
Possibly some regular users might even have a third option if they also own a T:ANE license: revert to T:ANE. But why should you purchase then TRS19 in case you can't live without your favourite routes/sessions?

In my case - God Thanks - I can still use T:ANE instead of increasing the workload in TRS19. So I keep away from TRS19 in this respect.

On the other hand I'd really like to have only _one single_ installation of a Trainz!
One single version that works with all my goodies I already had in my previous version. So a standard user like me really would appreciate at least a stable, sophisticated migration tool that keeps my content fully compatible.

All I stated above is my humble, firm opinion only!

_______
Josef

Last edited:
Back